Cover Driver Blues

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I have been with UPS for almost 6 years now. Spent the last part of August until December 31st on the road as cover driver, now back on preload. Sure do miss the paychecks. Myself and three other guys are in the same perdiciment. Is this something I should get used to for a the next few years or could we try to make them add some jobs? Was told would be back out first part of June but until then wiil I have to donate plasma to get by?

helenofcalifornia

Do you work in a center or a Hub? When does your number come up for driving in seniority? Yeah, it's tough getting used to one lifestyle with a full time paycheck and then having to downsize to a part time one. Have you thought of collecting aluminum cans in addition to the plasma donations until June comes around? It's hard, but most of us who wanted to drive have gone through this waiting game. Never is easy.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I was back and forth for the first year of being a driver. After the first year I have been driving package car ever since.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have been with UPS for almost 6 years now. Spent the last part of August until December 31st on the road as cover driver, now back on preload. Sure do miss the paychecks. Myself and three other guys are in the same perdiciment. Is this something I should get used to for a the next few years or could we try to make them add some jobs? Was told would be back out first part of June but until then wiil I have to donate plasma to get by?

I feel ya. I have 8 years (two years cover driving) and STILL waiting for full-time. The average wait time for full-time in my small center used to be between 4-6 years but it's allot longer now because the three or four drivers we have that should have retired by now all have to work 15 (or more) more years because they have to work until they are 62! Thank you Teamsters! In some areas of the country (even in Central States) there are some UPSs that have trouble keeping drivers but the majority have long waits. Especially now.

govols019

You smell that?
I was a part-time cover driver for 8 years before I went full-time. The worst part was busting your ass on pre-load and just as your walking out the door to go get some breakfast they chase you down and say "So and so called in, we need you to run his route...blind." So, you work 16 hours and have to be back dark and early the next morning.

True story, the first year I went full-time I actually worked less hours than I did my last part-time year.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
From the stories ive read on here i guess i dont have it as bad. Before we got PAS used to drive air and was able to get 40-45 hrs a wk. Occasionally getting to run ground in between. Now that is a thing of the past. Just get my 3 and half on preload. The wait is about 8 yrs on average in my center.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
From the stories ive read on here i guess i dont have it as bad. Before we got PAS used to drive air and was able to get 40-45 hrs a wk. Occasionally getting to run ground in between. Now that is a thing of the past. Just get my 3 and half on preload. The wait is about 8 yrs on average in my center.

That's how it used to be at my center. Not anymore. I used to make a good living as an EAM driver and doing other air. Now I have to fight to get my 3-4 hours a day.:mad: Can't wait till summer so I can be seasonal full-time again. I'm going on my 8th year as a part timer, and it looks like I'll have 10 years before I'm permanent full time.