Cover driver sales lead?

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
And could you explain the concept of "unwanted pickups" in a little more detail? You do realize we have drivers laid off right?

One route is cut almost everyday in my center! If it ONLY had 20 more stops it would not have been cut!!! Would have been nice if we had some more volume, so I could drive EVERYDAY! I do have a family to feed too.

over9five

Staff member
And could you explain the concept of "unwanted pickups" in a little more detail? You do realize we have drivers laid off right?

Sure.

Unwanted pick-up happens when you get home at 8:00 already, but then you get another pick-up (the unwanted one). This causes you to get home a little later.
No one gets called back, you just get another pick-up.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Don't those keystrokes move the forced overtime from one driver to another?

If a pick-up is added to your route, they're just going to tell you to do it.
No. More work means more routes, and drivers coming back from layoff.
And if the overtime is really unwanted, you grieve it. Right? That's what we do here anyway.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sure.

Unwanted pick-up happens when you get home at 8:00 already, but then you get another pick-up (the unwanted one). This causes you to get home a little later.
Are you really that much of a little mouse that you are afraid to file on excess overtime? You've been around long enough to know better.

over9five

Staff member
Jones! It's below you to start the name-calling, that really surprised me.

It doesn't affect me like that anyhow, I'm in Feeders.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
rodney_king.jpg

M

Mike23

Hmm, didn't expect it to cause this much discord...yeeeees, soon I will be taking over...:devil3:

On another note, if you ask a the regular driver if he wants those leads turned in, he'll likely say no, keep it in the back of his mind for a month then turn it in himself. Lets not be naive, 90% of the world are greedy jerks who are out for #1...the other 10% are management and really can't be considered human at all.

I was covering quite a few senior guys routes at the time. These are the guys that show up at 9 and are punched out by 1630-1730 but still get paid their 8 hours. Yes, they have more seniority, no, that doesn't give them the excuse to be more lazy then other drivers. They have paid their 'deus' but if they weren't just trying to reach retirement and not give a damn then they would've gotten this sales lead. If not for the people looking for these sales leads then every UPS driver would not have a job because nobody would ship with us.

More sales leads = more volume. More volume = more jobs. More jobs = more disgruntled workers with a pay check...but at least they're working.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow--I missed all of the excitement by going out to dinner and a movie.

Over, I am quite surprised and disappointed by your attitude on this subject. I can imagine the conversation you have with your center manager on this subject: "Over, we need a few sales leads from you." "center manager, sorry, I have enough work as it is" "Oh, OK, never mind then."

Dilli, I applaud your enthusiam and would love to have a cover driver such as yourself covering my area. You'd better bring your back brace and have a hearty breakfast as you will have to work if you do.:wink2:

As for the cover driver submitting the lead and the bid driver trying to trump him by saying "I have been working that lead..." to the BD people, any BD person worth his salt would see right through that and rightfully give the lead to the cover driver.

Finally, someone mentioned the bid driver passing along all of their "shortcuts" to the cover driver. I have 2 cover drivers for my area and I do share most of these shortcuts with one and share none of them with the other. The first driver works hard and takes care of the customers while the second chain smokes, is on his cell all day and does the bare minimum. I jokingly tell #1 that I can't give him all of my tricks as he will make me look bad.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you give a driver unwanted pick-ups, is that not forced overtime?

(I don't require an apology either)

PS, I honestly was not directing my posts at anyone, and I've never used a smilie.

Don't those keystrokes move the forced overtime from one driver to another?

If a pick-up is added to your route, they're just going to tell you to do it.

Sure.

You need to stop and remember who the puppetmaster of this three ring circus is. And it ain't me, brother, nor any other cover/utility driver. We do what we are told to do just like you. Don't tell me that I am forcing unwanted overtime on another. I don't want the overtime either. And I have to cover that rte. So if I use your theory aren't I forcing unwanted overtime on myself. I have little enough time as it is, to even find a sales lead. I'm on a rte that in some cases I barely even know. I have a bus. mgr climbing up my a&& about my spohr and over-alloweds. I do not need another driver telling me that I don't have the right to turn in sales lead, let alone a feeder driver.

bigbrownhen

As a cover driver, it is pretty tough to even have time to get sales leads on a route you don't run everyday. You tend to be runnin your rear off just to get the route done since they usually hammer the cover drivers.
I would usually run a lead by the regular driver just to see if they have approached them yet, if not I submit a lead, although there are some drivers I used to cover for who wouldn't care one way or another, so I just submitted the lead.
Now that I have a bid route, I have a customer I talked to for about 6 months before he would be a daily pick up. He is the type you don't push too hard or he will get irritated, now that he is a daily, Im working on him shipping big stuff on our freight line instead of Fed Ex freight. I would be ticked if a cover driver jumped in on this lead, but thats just me, others will feel differently Im sure.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Do you tell the people out there in the internet world to quit ordering S*^T because I don't wanna have to do 5 more stops today than yesterday?!

What is one more P/U account? We need all the business we can get so that I can retire one day, just like some of you senior drivers will do shortly. UPS will be where I retire and I would want the younger drivers to do all they can to make sure I get to retire and that I get my check after I retire!!:peaceful:

bigbrownhen

Dilli, you seem to be a great cover driver, one that doesn't tick off customers and saves the bid driver a bunch of complaints when they get back. I bet you get requests from bid drivers to cover for them when they are off.

As for drivers not wanting sales leads because they have too much work, those are the ones who are usually in before me anyway, so too bad. Submit away....
I was told you get more time credit for a pick up anyway, just makes you look better and helps keep you off the radar. Im all for more volume and get these drivers back to work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hen, thank you. I appreciate the compliment. Yes, I have been requested by drivers to do their rtes. It has taken several years to get there, though. And it has not been an easy row to hoe. I've been harrassed by mgt and other drivers along the way. Threatened, retaliated against and on and on. I don't put up with crap from other drivers anymore.

I had one get pissed at me the other day. He refused to help another driver with air so I helped. Well, yet another driver needed help with air and since I had already taken 4 I voluteered the driver that refused to help. We were the only 3 drivers left in the building at the time. The driver that refused to help got in my face for volunteering him. Didn't go over to well with me.

bigbrownhen

Love those drivers don't we, bet said driver is a "dumper" and never helps anyone else out. Always looking out for number 1, and screws everyone else.
I am fortunate to have a great work group, we all help each other out, makes working in browns a little nicer..

Do unto others.....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Said driver is in an area that is somewhat remote to the rest of the drivers in the immediate area. It is difficult for him to dump work on others because of this. On the other side though, he has little commited air so it is easy for him to pick up the excess air as he has to drive through 3 other rtes to get to his.

Dustyroads

If any cover drivers want to try to find a sales lead on my area, they can jump right on it. Best of luck to them. The whole sales lead program is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors, including the little quotas that managers have for every driver to give a lead every year or every quarter or whatever they happen to be pushing at the time. Then, if drivers don't give a lead, the management team creates a fake lead, oftentimes obtained by getting an return address off of a Fedex package and submitting it in the non-participating driver's name, just to make the center's participation numbers look good. Never do you hear a management team tell you how many pick up accounts your center had last year verses this year, or how many pieces were picked up on a certain day in your building last year verses this. Instead, the measurement is made by driver participation, which is a meaningless figure, made even more meaningless by the management team massaging the participation numbers. Bottom line, if you want to submit a lead, do it. If it means too much work for the regular driver, well, I'm sure they know how to grieve excessive work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The whole sales lead program is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors

Thus far this "smoke and mirrors" has netted me $9,138.30 as of 6/19.

Including the little quotas that managers have for every driver to give a lead every year or every quarter or whatever they happen to be pushing at the time.

Most CMs realize that not every area has the sales lead potential and that if you are on a rural area your potential is much less than someone on a business route. Still, it really shouldn't be that difficult to submit 1 sales lead per year.

Then, if drivers don't give a lead, the management team creates a fake lead, oftentimes obtained by getting an return address off of a Fedex package and submitting it in the non-participating driver's name, just to make the center's participation numbers look good.

I do agree, and think that most BD people agree, that this is just a waste of time and effort.

Never do you hear a management team tell you how many pick up accounts your center had last year verses this year, or how many pieces were picked up on a certain day in your building last year verses this.

Our center manager informs us weekly of how our volume, both delivery and pickup, compare to the same period last year. He does not update us on # of P/U accts but this would also be interesting.

Instead, the measurement is made by driver participation, which is a meaningless figure, made even more meaningless by the management team massaging the participation numbers.

Quality of leads over quantity ensures a successful sales lead program. We are in agreement here as well.

Bottom line, if you want to submit a lead, do it.

Thank you for your permission.

If it means too much work for the regular driver, well, I'm sure they know how to grieve excessive work.

I would think that the increased volume would result in some of our laid off drivers being called back to work but I know that this is not reality. How much more time can an additional P/U take?

BrownSuit

@ Over and others who state that this will caused "forced overtime"

If you are a 100 driver center and every driver submitted one sales lead a month, lets say only 25% resulted in a new daily pickup account, that's 2 new routes. That's 2 union brothers that are working inside or laid off that get to come outside and actually drive.

As for the I'm in Feeders and don't care attitude, do you think that customers magically get big enough that they need a feeder? Or do you maybe think that we've won some business, quite a bit of the time in part because of a sales lead?

Over how would you like to have everybody called back from package to feeders who was sent back after peak because there wasn't enough work?

I'm actually shocked at your apathy. I've had a lot of respect for your posts, but don't understand where your coming from on this. I also don't understand why you of all people wouldn't submit a lead. What's the worst that would happen, another feeder would have to come out to pickup new volume or the PUP would turn into a full trailer.

@ Those who state that "You are stealing another drivers leads"

If they were his leads, don't you think he would have submitted them first in the first place? If the other driver was really working it, they would have already turned something in. If they really turned something in (in SLIM, not just a piece of paper to the OMS) then your district "Take Charge" coordinator can go back and make sure the right person gets credit.

Most of the time it's people who realized they missed easy money and want it after the fact. Too late. It's not your fault they were lazy.

If they really cared about leads don't you think they would have already submitted something? Just in the notes, make sure to note you are the cover driver and not the regular driver.

@ those who say "You should talk to the bid driver first"

Why so the bid driver can submit the leads and get paid?

Often there is a short time window, are you really going to have time to talk to the bid driver and still have somebody get back to the customer in a reasonable period of time? How many people just cover for one day? I know it occasionally happens with a D-Day, but most of the time isn't it for vacation, a week at a time?

What if the regular driver has the attitude that over or some of the others have about not submitting leads because they believe it will cause more work? Then nobody will ever speak with the customer.

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. If a cover driver who doesn't know the route, can drum up some new business, why can't the regular driver? I realize they have a few less stops than the normal driver, but that doesn't make up for the special requests and other things that were mentioned earlier.

For those who might easily be offended, here are my smilies:greedy::greedy::greedy: