Coworker refuses to practice good hygiene

Jim Josephson

So, I've lurked the forum some time, and I decided to create an account as I feel that I could use some advice on this little situation at work.

I work in Revenue Recovery in a large hub. Meaning that unlike being a driver or a loader/unloader, I work usually in close proximity with my coworkers. We're all standing around the same belt. And for the most part it's great. We talk a lot to pass the time, the job is easy and I love it. Much better than loading trucks anyways.

What I don't find so great is that, as the title suggest, one of my coworkers just absolutely stinks. This guy shows up everyday in disgustingly dirty clothes and a cloud of death that wafts around him. And I don't mean he smells bad like he sprays way too much Axe on himself. I wish he did that, in fact. I've smelled some smelly people in my time, but this guy really takes the cake.

On my first day in Revenue, I think just about everybody including my supervisor warned me about him. And I avoid him for the most part thanks to the fact I'm on a different belt than him. However, I was moved to his belt recently. I think, okay just keep your distance and it's all good. It's not all good. The last 3 days I've put myself in a position on the belt where I can do my job effectively and be as far as possible. I still get hit with that foul odor.

Somebody suggested perhaps he smells because he doesn't have the amenities. Maybe he can't afford it. If so, I feel sorry for the fella. At the same time however, I should not have to put up with this. You may believe I am making a big deal or being a b*tch about it. I assure it is that bad. Loading in trucks that are well over 100 degrees in the summer I can deal with. The smell is much worse than that.

Anyways, I feel that my point has been made. Has anyone encountered such a situation? What course of action should I take? And if I were to complain, who should I approach for that? My union steward, supervisor, HR, someone else?

Thank you, Jim

El Correcto

god is dead
So, I've lurked the forum some time, and I decided to create an account as I feel that I could use some advice on this little situation at work.

I work in Revenue Recovery in a large hub. Meaning that unlike being a driver or a loader/unloader, I work usually in close proximity with my coworkers. We're all standing around the same belt. And for the most part it's great. We talk a lot to pass the time, the job is easy and I love it. Much better than loading trucks anyways.

What I don't find so great is that, as the title suggest, one of my coworkers just absolutely stinks. This guy shows up everyday in disgustingly dirty clothes and a cloud of death that wafts around him. And I don't mean he smells bad like he sprays way too much Axe on himself. I wish he did that, in fact. I've smelled some smelly people in my time, but this guy really takes the cake.

On my first day in Revenue, I think just about everybody including my supervisor warned me about him. And I avoid him for the most part thanks to the fact I'm on a different belt than him. However, I was moved to his belt recently. I think, okay just keep your distance and it's all good. It's not all good. The last 3 days I've put myself in a position on the belt where I can do my job effectively and be as far as possible. I still get hit with that foul odor.

Somebody suggested perhaps he smells because he doesn't have the amenities. Maybe he can't afford it. If so, I feel sorry for the fella. At the same time however, I should not have to put up with this. You may believe I am making a big deal or being a b*tch about it. I assure it is that bad. Loading in trucks that are well over 100 degrees in the summer I can deal with. The smell is much worse than that.

Anyways, I feel that my point has been made. Has anyone encountered such a situation? What course of action should I take? And if I were to complain, who should I approach for that? My union steward, supervisor, HR, someone else?

Thank you, Jim
I would always go to a steward when complaining about a situation involving a co worker. Like can you please talk to such and such, he won’t listen to me.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Thank you, Jim
i bet he says the same thing about you

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hand him a stick of deordorant, maybe a pamphlet on how to bathe in a restroom sink. I don't understand how anyone can get away with this sort of thing. If my wife made curry for dinner the night before I get complaints about my aroma, and people aren't tactful about it either.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
First thing , change your user name ,, secondly, this guy cares about no one but himself , so just tell him to clean himself , third , welcome to the BC

Days

Maybe I’m unlucky but they usually put the stinky people next to me. It’s probably the worst thing that can happen to you at UPS. You can’t tell this person to go bathe and if you work in close proximity you are going to have to be next to them EVERYDAY.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Thank you, Jim
Hand him a stick of deordorant, maybe a pamphlet on how to bathe in a restroom sink. I don't understand how anyone can get away with this sort of thing. If my wife made curry for dinner the night before I get complaints about my aroma, and people aren't tactful about it either.

Can you blame them? That :censored2: is nasty

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Maybe I’m unlucky but they usually put the stinky people next to me. It’s probably the worst thing that can happen to you at UPS. You can’t tell this person to go bathe and if you work in close proximity you are going to have to be next to them EVERYDAY.

Why can’t you tell stinkbait to go take a bathe

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Thank you, Jim
What does revenue recovery exactly do?