Credit For Miles/Time Allowance

mrbrownstone

I understand we get credit for miles in package car but I don't understand exactly what this means. Is it time related or monetary or does it work in some other way?

Also is it easy to find out what your planned day is each day? If I knew what my planned day was on a daily basis it would be easier for me to figure out how I was doing each day. I know we can get a stop count in the morning but it would be nice to have some idea about how much planned work is on my car.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do you work for ups? If so are you in your first 30 days?

If you're on day 31 don't worry about any of your questions. Deliver packages don't crash get paid. Rinse and repeat.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ask a sup to see the recap from the day before, look for your name and follow thr line across and if there is a minus next to the number, you scratched. If there is no minus sign, you were over. More miles driven, the higher your day will plan. There are ways to increase the plan, but who cares. Don't get hurt or have an accident and you'll be just fine.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Keep in mind the company can change allowances as they see fit. It happened to me. I had an area that was kind of semi rural with like 120 miles with 85-100 or so stops a day. I had the same area for 9 years. I grew up and lived in the same area as well. I *owned* this route. I ran good enough times that I generally kept them off my back. Usually ran about scratch without running my guts out. They then pencil-whipped my numbers and I was running from an hour to an hour and a half over every day. Same area. Same stops. Same mileage. I went from attaboy! to What happened yesterday? And that is why I went into feeders. I had actually passed on feeders the first time it came around, but decided to get out while the getting was good. I made the right decision. Point is, they can change anything to benefit them on the OR.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You don't get credit for miles. With the way the system is now you're suppose to reduce miles. They don't care how long it takes to deliver so much as a reduction in miles...that being said, my 9 year old daughter can plan a route better than IE can. We lost sort time allowance and walking to the stop allowances amongst other things. Before ORION and EDD your stops were in the same place almost every day set up high to low even and low to high odd. When they did EDD, you could find your packages logically by the HIN. With ORION all that made sense went right out the door...hell with EDD it went right out the door. ORION will have you deliver 1035, 1100, 1500, 1125, 3000, 1450...It sucks trying to find things in the middle of a loaded shelf early in the morning when your truck is still bricked out and stuffed like a cannoli.

oldngray

nowhere special
Keep in mind the company can change allowances as they see fit. It happened to me. I had an area that was kind of semi rural with like 120 miles with 85-100 or so stops a day. I had the same area for 9 years. I grew up and lived in the same area as well. I *owned* this route. I ran good enough times that I generally kept them off my back. Usually ran about scratch without running my guts out. They then pencil-whipped my numbers and I was running from an hour to an hour and a half over every day. Same area. Same stops. Same mileage. I went from attaboy! to What happened yesterday? And that is why I went into feeders. I had actually passed on feeders the first time it came around, but decided to get out while the getting was good. I made the right decision. Point is, they can change anything to benefit them on the OR.

On my route they messed with the numbers and then suddenly I was over an hour worse on paper. To give me what they claimed was enough worked they added stops from another loop. But since it was from another loop I had less time allowance for delivering any of those stops vs not having any extra added work. Several other drivers had similar things happen. After a while everyone's allowances magically got "adjusted" closer to what they originally were.

oldngray

nowhere special
You don't get credit for miles. With the way the system is now you're suppose to reduce miles. They don't care how long it takes to deliver so much as a reduction in miles...that being said, my 9 year old daughter can plan a route better than IE can. We lost sort time allowance and walking to the stop allowances amongst other things. Before ORION and EDD your stops were in the same place almost every day set up high to low even and low to high odd. When they did EDD, you could find your packages logically by the HIN. With ORION all that made sense went right out the door...hell with EDD it went right out the door. ORION will have you deliver 1035, 1100, 1500, 1125, 3000, 1450...It sucks trying to find things in the middle of a loaded shelf early in the morning when your truck is still bricked out and stuffed like a cannoli.

There is an allowance for miles but there is an upper limit where you stop getting credit for extra miles. That theoretical "max" is arbitrary and can be instantly changed with their magic pens.

Overpaid Union Thug

Everyone interested in the "numbers" and why they seem to get worse and worse should Google "The Overton Window." Its more of a political concept but can be applied to just about anything. There is a book (that is pretty decent) by the same name.

Sent using BrownCafe App

sortaisle

You're talking about the Glenn Beck book. I can see how the Window can apply to just about anything. Considering we're a union that is a political entity the Window fits quite well.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You don't get credit for miles.
Miles are most definitely still in the formula. I personally don't care about THEIR numbers however I had a breakdown last month and was brought a new truck and forgot to record ending mileage on 1st vehicle shorting the total mileage by a lot. The next day their report showed me as paid over by 4.5 hours when I only lost 45 min due to the breakdown.

sortaisle

The miles and numbers are completely arbitrary. That's why you don't get credit for them. Do the job right, do it efficiently, and who cares what the numbers say.