Customer Service Excellence

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have a huge apartment complex on my route. There are 2 ways in. The first, from the back of the complex, saves me 2-3 minutes. The second, through the main gate, is longer, but allows me to see if the manager is in or not to take an SO ISR. Which will I use when I have an ISR?

Number 1, because it allows me to keep SPH up. Since I no longer care about customer service, I'll go in the back way, save the 2-3 minutes, and just Code 8 the pkg if they aren't home. I won't bother going out to the manager's office because if they aren't there, it's a long trip back to re-tag the door.

Later, the customer arrives home to see his doortag and calls our stellar Customer Service line. Eventually, a message makes it's way to Dispatch asking for a reattempt. I say "No, I don't have the time", which throws it back on Dispatch. Customer Service or the dispatcher has to call the customer back. It's medication, and they "have to get it". So, I get another message requesting a reattempt, to which I once again reply "I don't have time, they can pick it up". The customer gets called again. They can't pick it up and really need the reattempt.

Finally, I agree to do the reattempt, but I will need pickup stops removed in order to perform the delivery, otherwise I will "miss the CTV". Unless this happens, "I can't do the reattempt". Eventually, I get a couple of stops taken-off.

Overall, I've "cost" the company a lot of time and effort, and by now the customer is totally frazzled. When I go back (taking my time), I still won't go to the manager's office if they aren't home because I don't really care anymore.

See how it works?

hypo hanna

I'd say he did it just right. He communicated his situation with dispatch and continued to do his deliveries. He made note that he would miss the ctv unless stops were taken off. It's the drivers that ignore the request that end up getting in trouble.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Ahhhh MFE, you could learn a lot from me.
I've been doing that for years. For ISR I don't bother trying to get anyone else to sign. I just tag and go.
And, if it's a shady apt. complex, and most of mine are, sorry, I don't even release it. You can pup it at the sta.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ahhhh MFE, you could learn a lot from me.
I've been doing that for years. For ISR I don't bother trying to get anyone else to sign. I just tag and go.
And, if it's a shady apt. complex, and most of mine are, sorry, I don't even release it. You can pup it at the sta.

Preaching to the choir, Brother. Can I have an Amen?

hypo hanna

This is exactly the kind of thing we need to be doing. We can trash the customer service numbers by playing by the rules. There isn't enough ops managers to deal with that kind of disaster. There sure wont be enough when they start taking the buyouts. Dispatchers are getting the same treatment as the drivers so few of them are going to step up and save the day.

SmithBarney

It is imperative that you communicate with dispatch and be clear, say "is this a directive to REATT" or "a suggestion" make sure to also notify disp of consequences for a REATT such as missed service (POD or PUP or late ETA) some of our areas a REATT can mean nearly 30-60 minutes of time lost going back make sure they know. If they insist, then the consequence is on them and no longer on you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is imperative that you communicate with dispatch and be clear, say "is this a directive to REATT" or "a suggestion" make sure to also notify disp of consequences for a REATT such as missed service (POD or PUP or late ETA) some of our areas a REATT can mean nearly 30-60 minutes of time lost going back make sure they know. If they insist, then the consequence is on them and no longer on you.

Exactly. Always put it back on them. Let management figure it out. Overwhelm them with responsibility for the operation, and task them with the consequences you mention. For far too long, we the drivers have been expected to "make it happen" no matter what, relieving them of a large portion of the decision-making process.

It isn't our job to think. We just move boxes.

whenIgetthere

I'd say he did it just right. He communicated his situation with dispatch and continued to do his deliveries. He made note that he would miss the ctv unless stops were taken off. It's the drivers that ignore the request that end up getting in trouble.

Had one Friday, woman called for a reattempt. Told dispatch I would miss CTV if I doubld back (about 25 miles). She insisted on meeting me, so I gave dispatch my next ten pickups. She finally caught up with me at the last one, must've been trailing me all over three cities!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Had one Friday, woman called for a reattempt. Told dispatch I would miss CTV if I doubld back (about 25 miles). She insisted on meeting me, so I gave dispatch my next ten pickups. She finally caught up with me at the last one, must've been trailing me all over three cities!!

Never do meets with customers. Put the onus on them (management) to solve the problem.