Customers wanting to open packages before signing.

llamainmypocket

Dealing with customers is an art form. People respond with empathy when you apologize. With respect when you take responsibility. And with sympathy when your doing your job how you're told. I try to hit all three in that order as one usually opens the door for the other.

Keep it simple and sincere. Dont over explain.

Example,
I'm really sorry and i should have known better but management informed me that I cant to release packages before a signature. I've already gotten talked to and warned so my options are limited. Is there anything i can do for a solution to this?

Then put the other hat on and help him however you can.

llamainmypocket

Don't hand him the package first but the board to sign. You can tell him who it's coming front and who it's addressed to. If he doesn't sign then refused -didn't want it.

I second this. Don't even take the packages out of the truck. Locate them, then take the diad alone to the customer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They dont open until they sign. PERIOD. No exceptions. Its not negotiable, even if the package looks damaged. Once you bend the rules even once, they will expect it every time the package has a scuff mark on it. There is a procedure for dealing with damage claims and it does NOT involve the driver standing there for 10 minutes while the customer methodically inspects everything in the package.

Put yourself in their shoes for a moment-----would you sign for an obviously damaged package without at least asking to open it to make sure the contents are OK?

I do allow and even offer to open obviously damaged packages for inspection and will note the damage in the remarks column.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I second this. Don't even take the packages out of the truck. Locate them, then take the diad alone to the customer.

...and tell them what....."You're package is trashed and I am too embarrassed to show it to you"....? At this point you don't even approach the customer----just sheet the package as damaged and bring it back to the center for inspection, repack or RTS.

9.5er

just sheet the package as damaged and bring it back to the center for inspection, repack or RTS.
Drivers at my center are required to sheet all damaged packages as refused, didn't want. Management says if we sheet as damaged and then clerk puts it in as damaged the center gets hit with 2 damages on same package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Drivers at my center are required to sheet all damaged packages as refused, didn't want. Management says if we sheet as damaged and then clerk puts it in as damaged the center gets hit with 2 damages on same package.

Regardless of how they are sheeted, the point I am trying to make is you don't ask someone to sign for a trashed package without at least giving them the chance to inspect it. If you don't want them to see it don't ask them to sign for it.

T

Turdferguson

...and tell them what....."You're package is trashed and I am too embarrassed to show it to you"....? At this point you don't even approach the customer----just sheet the package as damaged and bring it back to the center for inspection, repack or RTS.
They didn't want us to sheet packages as damaged. They had us sheet as missed ,and put in remarks "Pos damg" send message to center why we sheeted as missed, and give to clerk at night to inspect.

9.5er

To the OP, there is no way I'd wait 10 minutes each day for the customer to inspect each box. Or even 5 minutes. Simply explain that if the box is undamaged they need to sign first. If you wait for each box on your truck to opened before each customer signed you would never finish your route.
I am willing to let a customer open a box if it is really messed up. But even that needs to be done quickly.

tracker2762

Regardless of how they are sheeted, the point I am trying to make is you don't ask someone to sign for a trashed package without at least giving them the chance to inspect it. If you don't want them to see it don't ask them to sign for it.

If it's that bad, don't even make an attempt on it. Have qc inspect and repack.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I will only add remarks afteward and never let a customer open anything without a signature. Is there a difference between the driver opening the package and the customer until it's signed for?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will only add remarks afteward and never let a customer open anything without a signature. Is there a difference between the driver opening the package and the customer until it's signed for?

Customers prefer that any remarks be added before they sign; in fact, I have one who insists on reading them before signing.

If you are opening the package in front of the customer there is no difference.

If you are doing it inside the car and then asking them to sign without at least letting them see the package---huge difference.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when a customer complained to me I would tell them its a free country and they should ship fedex if not happy. I got in trouble for that. but I still work here so it wasn't the end of the world.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only if discovered before leaving the building per the training otherwise we're to give them the option.

Why would you sheet them as missed if they are found before we leave the building?

I am talking about damages found on road. The last DIAD training I had on that topic said to sheet them as missed. It didn't mention anything about giving them the option (to falsify).

clean hairy

Imagine going to an Electronics Store, and wanting to rip open the item to check for damage before you pay.
Opening the package before signing might be the same?
Or did I come up with a bad comparison?