cutting trips- not enough work!!!

30andout

wily_old_vet said:
I'm curious abot the term floaters. Not a term I ever heard at UPS in 32 years. In my area they were called cover drivers and reg temps. In other areas I know they are called swing drivers but I've never heard floaters. Why do you resist telling us what area you are in. I drove out of Burtonsville Md.
Around here a floater is a turd that won't flush.:lol: :lol:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
moreluck said:
Trick...which is better Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme?? :)

Gosh Moreluck,

That should be obvious. I will not eat anything from Dunkin Donuts, a "hot" Krispy Kreme melting in your mouth is almost as good a sex! Well maybe not.........:lol:

trickpony1

Moreluck,
Bless your heart!
I don't eat donuts, I don't eat fast burgers, I don't drink soda pop.
In a photo line-up you would be hard pressed to identify me as a feeder driver.

Nice try........

browneye

wily_old_vet said:
I'm curious abot the term floaters. Not a term I ever heard at UPS in 32 years. In my area they were called cover drivers and reg temps. In other areas I know they are called swing drivers but I've never heard floaters. Why do you resist telling us what area you are in. I drove out of Burtonsville Md.
a floater is that big brown thing that just wont flush:lol:

ups79

HEY PUNK:that belongs to 30andout, if you are going to use it, please give him credit first and put it in quotation marks.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It would seem that sinking fast has sunk.

Busted?

That is what happens when you post trying to pass yourself off as a UPS insider. We will smell you out each and every time.

d

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
sinkingfast said:
Ok...I guess I am not wording things correctly- using the right terms route vs. trip. I do have 7 years - and no I wasn't a direct hire from the street- I worked pre-load for 5 years.
To those who tried to help - thankyou. I guess I will try talking to my shop steward. My center is the worst in our hub- has way too many floaters
Where all the paranoia is coming from that I am not a driver- I don't know what to tell ya.
He's Canadian! or European?......

A

Anonymous Brown Clown

Have a driver that quite in other state to follow his fiance got rehired here, lets just say for being a neighboring state they sure do have a lot of different terminology for everything. Sinkingfast maybe has continued to use terms from his pre-load days in phrasing his question, ex. trips from box-line to p.-car, floater is a pre-loader with knowledge of multiple areas that covers pre-loaders / box-line sorters vacations, before EDD / PAS of course. Here they have created several extra coverage driver jobs for p.-car and even extra, extra board jobs in feeders to cover summer vacations due to inability to get any temps. to stay or qualify. Even back when I was in p.-car they let people go home everyday even when I was working 12 hours a day. Was told the district manager determined how may routes would be run for the entire week based on volume predictions was even shown the sheet. He may be in a location where they use a casual board work only when they say they need you until you can secure a bid route.

sinkingfast

Again- I do not get the paranoia???? What would I possibly have to gain by asking the question that I did if I was not a driver???
Yes we use the term floaters, I guess you do not. Here a floater is a driver who does not have a trip or route of thier own- they cover other drivers. In my center we have alot of drivers who have been here a long time. Thankfully we had one retire yesterday and therefore I should be able to get a route this time around when bids come up.
Yes I am a driver- I deal with all the back-breaking work as you do. My knee's ache, my shoulders ache, I deal with supervisor harrassment ( as no one who works at UPS ever believes such a good- well known company acts this way) , pay my union dues every month..................

I was hoping just for some insight and suggestions to ensure I work everyday- sorry if it became a topic of great debate as to whether I am a driver or not. I thought posing questions to those in my shoes that I may get support- not bashing for it?

Obviously I guess I should not ask anymore questions here.

trickpony1

You seem to have answered your own question.

I haven't been in pkg cars since 1981 but it would seem to me that maybe the high seniority people may want a "lay-off, no pay day" occasionally which would provide work for the lower seniority floaters.
I don't know how big your center is but I would think everyone could work together to result in a "win-win" situation.
Once you get seniority and a route they will expect you to walk in the door every day so you may want to cherish the random days off you have now.

good luck.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Around here, days off are cherished. Not a day goes by where drivers dont fight over being able to be the extra driver that gets to go home, allowing the less senior drivers work. Problem is many of the less senior drivers dont want to work every day.

Of course we have those that want to work every day, we hour days, and never take a day off without pay.

d

tieguy

Banned
sinkingfast said:
Again- I do not get the paranoia???? What would I possibly have to gain by asking the question that I did if I was not a driver???
Yes we use the term floaters, I guess you do not. Here a floater is a driver who does not have a trip or route of thier own- they cover other drivers. In my center we have alot of drivers who have been here a long time. Thankfully we had one retire yesterday and therefore I should be able to get a route this time around when bids come up.
Yes I am a driver- I deal with all the back-breaking work as you do. My knee's ache, my shoulders ache, I deal with supervisor harrassment ( as no one who works at UPS ever believes such a good- well known company acts this way) , pay my union dues every month..................

I was hoping just for some insight and suggestions to ensure I work everyday- sorry if it became a topic of great debate as to whether I am a driver or not. I thought posing questions to those in my shoes that I may get support- not bashing for it?

Obviously I guess I should not ask anymore questions here.

you don't seem to be answering the questions very well which makes you sound evasive. What building are you in where drivers are looking for work in the summer?

B

BROWN OBSERVER

over9five said:
"dhl takes a lot of trips usually with empty cars."

The DHL guy compares his damn near empty car to my full one every day. He walks away laughing, saying, "And I'll still get 2 hours OT"!!!

How do they stay in business???

DHL SECOND QTR PROFITS FELL 48 PERCENT..AT THIS RATE THEY WON'T BE AROUND FOR LONG...BYE BYE YELLOW AND RED...