Danny Eason on WLW Radio

local776

I listened to both sides danny eason from the apwa and bill moore from the ibt and both were very respectful in their stances, with the callers, and in the questions that were asked.

The one question that i felt danny dropped was when one of the kansas freight guys asked what benefit they would receive by joining the apwa. Danny ran on and on about the pension and that was it, as a matter of fact theres alot more to joining a union than the pension. The cba would negioate wages, seniority rights, job security, down time, working conditions i mean the list goes on. I felt like danny was only concerned with the pension, and was caught of guard with that question.(this is my opinion and how i felt)

Danny admitted to a caller that neither himself or van are union employees of ups even though its a union shop. Danny went on to give excuses that van withdrew because he wasnt given the right to vote on the strike fund and dues increase, which in fact he did or did not take the time to vote for his delegate who inturned voted for it.

Over the 2 hour program several kansas freight employees called in and again in my opinion i dont think the apwa has a shot, but i will wait another 2 weeks to see what the outcome of the vote is.

Danny went on about the pension and stated that we should be receiving $7000 a month under the same contributions that the ibt has received in our behalfs. Brother moore went on to state that in the 70s and 80s the contributions were $1000 to $1500 a month in our names, now even with compound interest like danny is claiming that is nowhere near $7000 a month for us. That number could be more realistic for the new-bie ups teamsters who have received the $214 a week not the ones close to retirement who were receiving $20 a week in the 70s.

Brother moore talked about the cs plan and admitted it took a really big hit in 02,03 as did hundreds of pension funds. He also went on talked about ups's trustees and the federal judge who over sees the plan. Theres alot of blame here and the teamsters hold there share but you can see ups and the judge have a hand in this condition as well. The apwa would like us to believe that the money was stolen right out from under us which is not the case, it was bad investment decisions and not theft!

Danny was asked " how much money do they have", He stated he did not have to file that until he became a cba for a group. If the apwa is really about change and has nothing to hide, why not take the high road and show the people that you want to represent that you are a different cba?

It was nice to hear both sides of the debate and hear it done right without screaming and profanities, with a respectful tone from all involved. I hope many of you took the time to listen and make up your own minds on this issue.
good reading thanks

av8torntn

Spinzone,

Whats even funnier than Sawman....

Is the apwa's hypothetical pension payouts.

Why don't you tell the truth.... You can't guarantee anything !

The literature the apwa hands out shows this really nice projection.... with a benefit of $7000.00 a month. Thats based on what the current contribution is.... 30 years from now. And if the "fund" recieved a 9 1/2% return on its investments.

Why don't you show all the readers of this forum where they can invest their money with a return like that, so they can start investing now.

The apwa is nothing but smoke and mirrors....

And the usual.... They have never even been Union Stewards.... Never held office in their Local.... Union Busting Attorney.... the List goes on.

If you even work for UPS, you should apologize for thinking UPS people are that stupid. But then again.... a couple must be.... certainly not a reflection of the whole.

-Bug-

This is the first fund that I looked up. True it is not 9.5% return but 13.8% over 20 years. I found this in a shorter time than it took me to type this reply.
http://www.dodgeandcox.com/pdf/shareholder_reports/dc_stock_report_033107.pdf

I am sure there are plenty more out there.

sawdusttv

Really! Good because im real sick of two NON-UNION drivers attempting to form their own union with no experience of representing the members even in a grievance procedure.

I spoke of my opinion of the show last night, both sides dropped the ball on certain issues, my post wasnt an attempt at slamming the apwa. I simply spoke of what was said on the show. Did you stay up late to listen? I did and i know mittam did, and im sure mittam will agree with everything i said, i did not take post slanderous substances only the facts that were discussed last night!

Just because they have more time being a teamster member than i have been alive does not qualify them to lead us into the future. They have never been a shop steward, agent or even on a negioating commitee to have the experience to get the job done.

Saw why dont you run for the president of the united states of america? I will tell you because you dont have the crudentials or the experience to do the job, neither do danny or van!

Red,

You're missing my point friend!
All i'm saying is that I don't understand why everybody keep asking over and over, Are Van and Danny union members? Everyone know the answer to that, and besides, what differance would that make?

sawdusttv

I have to laugh.... Sawman....

The apwa is not a Union ! They still have not filed anything with the Department of Labor.

Van is the president of a web site....

Danny is the VP of their P.O. Box

Thats all the apwa has been for the last 2 years.

-Bug-

Darn BUG,

I have not seen you post in a while, and then you come back with the same posts that you've been using for two years. Good to hear from you!!:)

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red,

You're missing my point friend!
All i'm saying is that I don't understand why everybody keep asking over and over, Are Van and Danny union members? Everyone know the answer to that, and besides, what differance would that make?

No experience saw, thats what im talking about. I understand your frustration about the pension, but theres alot more to running a union than thinking you know how to invest pension monies. They might have good intentions when it comes to our pension futures, but dont have a clue on how to run a union and represent the members!

porter

there is a lot moore than the pension involved in the APWA. read and learn about it or just sit back and let the teamsters still the rest of your life.
they are working for us ,,, we are not working for them

705red

Browncafe Steward
there is a lot moore than the pension involved in the APWA. read and learn about it or just sit back and let the teamsters still the rest of your life.
they are working for us ,,, we are not working for them

Porter i did better than that! I listened to the show the other night and a freight worker called in and asked whats in it for him to join a union. Dannys response was all about the pension, in my opinion thats one of the areas that danny was weak for the night. Remember the teamsters are the incumbents here and you have to be better than perfect every chance you get to attempt to unseat them!

sawdusttv

No experience saw, thats what im talking about. I understand your frustration about the pension, but theres alot more to running a union than thinking you know how to invest pension monies. They might have good intentions when it comes to our pension futures, but dont have a clue on how to run a union and represent the members!

RED,

They have a combined 55 years with the teamsters union. That to me is a heck of a lot of experience.

705red

Browncafe Steward
RED,

They have a combined 55 years with the teamsters union. That to me is a heck of a lot of experience.
Whats their record at grievance panels on behalf of the members?

Whats their record at arbitration hearings on the members behalf?

Have they negoiated a contract at ups? ever negoiate a contract peroid?

How many years as union stewards?

Are they active dues paying ups teamsters now?

Isnt it true they only care about getting their pensions for themselves and this is the road their taking to put heat on the ibt?

I could go on and on but i know you see where im coming from saw!

sawdusttv

Whats their record at grievance panels on behalf of the members?

Whats their record at arbitration hearings on the members behalf?

Have they negoiated a contract at ups? ever negoiate a contract peroid?

How many years as union stewards?

Are they active dues paying ups teamsters now?

Isnt it true they only care about getting their pensions for themselves and this is the road their taking to put heat on the ibt?

I could go on and on but i know you see where im coming from saw!

YES, I see were you are coming from RED, but I do not agree that these things would help or hinder there ability to do the job. The APWA will not be run as a dictatorship like the teamsters, the rank and file (UPS employees) will have much say so in the running of the new union. Where as with the teamsters they have very little.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Oh the good ole days! God do I miss Mittam, saw, 30andout and all of these nice apwa discussions. Now for you rookies to this site, these threads are a perfect example of how to argue!

Dustyroads

"They have a combined 55 years with the teamsters union. That to me is a heck of a lot of experience."

A buddy of mine down at work and I have 65 years of experience as union members between us, however, we aren't so deluded to think that we could run a union.

Solidarity413

The APWA will not be run as a dictatorship like the teamsters, the rank and file (UPS employees) will have much say so in the running of the new union. Where as with the teamsters they have very little.

Run as a dictatorship? I'm sorry I'm not a very experienced Teamster, but I thought we elected our leaders? :surprised:

Just Lurking

Who is Danny Eason?

Hoax, you should have seen him around Atlanta since some believe that he was shrill for the company on pension issues before the last contract.

Actually, he was a good old boy from North Carolina that had "dreams bigger than a kid in a toy store"

He was going take pensions contribution and invest them with 10% returns always. At retirement (30 years) you would have an account balance of $840000. You could than withdraw you 10% annual gain of $84000 ($7000/month) and leave your account balance for your heirs.

Seems so easy doesn't it. :happy2: