Day After Christmas

FromBluetoBrown

Did you report to work as directed?
They DID NOT call you to say you were not needed?

YOU ARE NOW ENTITLED TO BE PAID FOR 3.5 HOURS
Go talk to your shop steward...

They put up the preload start times up next to where we clock in and it said Wednesday Start time 0400. When I left Monday nobody said anything about not coming in so I showed up. But thanks, I will talk to my shop steward when I go in tomorrow.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I started at 9am and was punched out at 1:30pm. I could have been done earlier but took my time. I didn't have anywhere to be.

dirty moose

I started at 9am and was punched out at 1:30pm. I could have been done earlier but took my time. I didn't have anywhere to be.

did the same, only they sent me back out =( so i punched out @ 3.

all i know is they said to call, i didn't have a phone, (sup. knew that) so i sent a message. it took the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ing office took 15 min to respond and by that time i was back at the building. called the sup form the office he told me to go back on road.

I really hate helping other guys out, i don't work hard to do MORE work. i work hard to get done and enjoy my free time.

As i was driving back the 2nd time they sent a message to dip into the UPS store i laughed and "told" them i did it.

really was an annoying day to say the least.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
we had no preload toady. loaded our own trucks start time 8 I had 2 routes that normally run 120/150 each. only had 59 stops and less than 20 p/u acct. done and in at 430 sweet day. my other choice was coming in at 2p to do p/u:dissapointed:(NOT)!!!!!!!!!!!! Had a total of 10 rte out for the day and 4 drivers came in at 2 for p/u. 'sposed to have all rte out tomorrow.

brownrecluse

Called in @ 0730... told to call back in an hour... called back @ 0830... c'mon in... 40 minute drive... Finally got out of the building @ 0945 w/15 NDA spanning two routes... day began w/several late airs. Packages on car appeared to have been tossed in... in any old order... on any old shelf... air not separated/segregated... packages not in sequence, no labels out, etc... packages missing... what a mess. Only 48 delivery stops (very commercial/industrial routes)... but may as well have been 100 stops for how long it took. I was in the back of the car more than the drivers seat... 36 pickup stops... again 2 routes... w/stops @ same times 5 - 6 miles apart... they only gave me a 5-cube for the day for the day... I could not jam another package in the car after pickups... what a day...:knockedout:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm wondering why, with only a fraction of hte normal stop, you didn't just stop and sort out hte truck. 5 minutes of sorting can usually save you many more minutes driving in circles.

The run I had was two combined also, a small town appox 90 miles from the cntr. Every other driver had more than one route as expected. Mine was the only one that had not had the packages all moved to one car. Just a snafu but still irritating. Start time 10am, left building. There were only 16 pu stops but the were spread over a 60 mile radius. Combining the two routes was a logistic nightmare, but alas did finish, got the air in on time and got home early enough. My biggest problem was with leaving the building @10:20 and a 90 mile drive to my first stop I hit town during the noon hour, some of the businesses you couldn't tell if the were just "out to lunch" or still CLO H, so had to go back. 65 stops, three residentals. Of course ED wasn't right, but then it never is anyway.

browniehound

The run I had was two combined also, a small town appox 90 miles from the cntr. Every other driver had more than one route as expected. Mine was the only one that had not had the packages all moved to one car. Just a snafu but still irritating. Start time 10am, left building. There were only 16 pu stops but the were spread over a 60 mile radius. Combining the two routes was a logistic nightmare, but alas did finish, got the air in on time and got home early enough. My biggest problem was with leaving the building @10:20 and a 90 mile drive to my first stop I hit town during the noon hour, some of the businesses you couldn't tell if the were just "out to lunch" or still CLO H, so had to go back. 65 stops, three residentals. Of course ED wasn't right, but then it never is anyway.

Trp, did I read that right? Your route is 90 miles from your package center? If so that sounds like a GREAT route! You are talking a MINIMUM of 3 hours drive time to and from the route. That leaves only 5 hours a parceling to get 8 hours of work. Count 15 minutes of AM time, 15 Minutes of PM time and add the fact that its more likely that it take you 1.75 hours to drive 90 miles and you're talking a 9 hour day with only 5 hours of real package delivery.

Is this normal for you? Or was it just because of the holiday? I'm in awe that there are routes at UPS with this much "windshield" time. It takes me 25 minutes on a bad day to get my route so I'm humping all day:anxious:.

:peaceful:
Brownie.

LKLND3380

They put up the preload start times up next to where we clock in and it said Wednesday Start time 0400. When I left Monday nobody said anything about not coming in so I showed up. But thanks, I will talk to my shop steward when I go in tomorrow.

If it is like my building they will say that was from last week... Ok... They should have erased it and wrote DAY OFF...:smart:

Trp, did I read that right? Your route is 90 miles from your package center? If so that sounds like a GREAT route! You are talking a MINIMUM of 3 hours drive time to and from the route. That leaves only 5 hours a parceling to get 8 hours of work. Count 15 minutes of AM time, 15 Minutes of PM time and add the fact that its more likely that it take you 1.75 hours to drive 90 miles and you're talking a 9 hour day with only 5 hours of real package delivery.

Is this normal for you? Or was it just because of the holiday? I'm in awe that there are routes at UPS with this much "windshield" time. It takes me 25 minutes on a bad day to get my route so I'm humping all day:anxious:.

:peaceful:
Brownie.
Sadly to say, that isn't MY route, I'm a FT swing driver. Most of your calculations are correct, however when you factor in a meal time it just leaves you with 4 hours to get (usually) 75-80 delivery(110-150 pkgs) stops and 7 p/up stops done and get the air(everyday) back to the center. Most days, I have to meet with the other driver that delivers the other half of the town, to take my out going volume. Most days when you get to the first on area stop, it's 11:30am, that gives you 30 minutes before many of the businesses close for lunch. Then you have 3 basic choices. (1) take your meal then, (2) skip closed business to do between noon and 1300(3) runs off resis till 1300. The stop break down is normally as follows; 40-45 intown business+15-20 intown resis+20 or so route bus/res combined. Here's where ya have to make a few decisions, do I take the chance that there will be no snafus and risk not getting the air back to building on time or do I skip stops to make the meet point. The meet point usually wins out. I meet the driver at 1615, in town of course, then have to two trip back to the routes that I could'nt get to before the meet point. Did I mention that the p/up stops were all out in the rural area? The last one is 24 miles from the meet point. Many days there will be 10 or 12 scattered business left from the lunch time closings to run before 1700 (if I choose option #2 from above) or more (if I choose options #1 or #3). If the MP driver isn't there on time I have to wait on him while the miles tick off the clock that I could be delivering some of those businesses. If I get stuck with one of the older P500s on a given day my max hiway speed is 55-60 mph, with a 0 to 35 mph of about 3 days.< exaggerated sarcasm
There are often days that I will have to run off the rural business, go to the meet point and return within a few miles of my last p/up stop to get the resis routes, this adds more miles to the factor. Trust me there are days that tend to be a bit stressful. It only take one misload to totally eff up the day. If you can keep the thoughts of the delivery challenge out of your head the windshield time is pretty sweet though.
We have a couple of other areas that are longer than this one. Each with their own challenges.
At the ripe age pf 57 and a rapidly declining body, with 20 years as a driver, I'm still # 32 on the seniority list. Ibuprofen is my friend.

Cementups

Box Monkey
At the ripe age pf 57 and a rapidly declining body, with 20 years as a driver, I'm still # 32 on the seniority list. Ibuprofen is my friend.

sounds like you have a crap load of drivers that need to retire and/or there is just that many younger drivers than yourself with more seniority. I'm forunate that at 32 I have beenwith UPS or 14 years and have about 8 years fulltime in. One of these days I will be at the top but for now I have to enjoy and tolerate being in the top 40. Hope it comes fast for you.

rod

Retired 22 years
At the ripe age pf 57 and a rapidly declining body, with 20 years as a driver, I'm still # 32 on the seniority list. Ibuprofen is my friend.[/quote] Man I feel for you. I was 53 when I got my 30 in and got out. Hang in there

browniehound

trplnkl ,
That must be somewhat nerve racking if you get stuck in the mud or snow then it Fs up the whole meetpoint deal. I can't fathom driving 24 miles to make a pickup. My entire route does around 56!!

HazMatMan

Im being forced to work. Is this going to be time and a half?

There goes that word I love so much "forced".... Nobody can force you to do anything.. Day after Christmas is a regular work day though. It was light so I took a lay-off day myself to play with my toys, lol..

Ibt804Hammer

My sup called me just before I was leaving for work and asked if I wanted the day off.
You can guess my answer.
It's cold and raining.
I made enough OT during peak, maybe I'll get the next two days off.

Good thing we have a contract in place and people that violate it daily. Why not have your"special day offf because it was cold and rainy" go to a top seniority driver in an OPH or maybe an extra week vacation the following year. Once again, you are being selfish, and go against what contract we have in place.