Debating applying for ups tractor trailer.

Justcurious2

So I live in Indiana and i saw there are openings in my area "Hammond" for tractor trailer driver. I currently have over 5 years at my current union company ABF as a local driver . I'm wondering would it be wise to switch as I figure i wouldn't pay Illinois taxes anymore and I kinda miss the otr part of driving? It says 30 an hour and looks to be full-time I just don't want to be put in a position of being layed off.

ManInBrown

So I live in Indiana and i saw there are openings in my area "Hammond" for tractor trailer driver. I currently have over 5 years at my current union company ABF as a local driver . I'm wondering would it be wise to switch as I figure i wouldn't pay Illinois taxes anymore and I kinda miss the otr part of driving? It says 30 an hour and looks to be full-time I just don't want to be put in a position of being layed off.
You will absolutely be laid off. They tell all the off the street casual feeders here, that they will be hiring a bunch of drivers after peak and they never do. Never seen or heard from again. We had one year where a few were brought back, last year none were brought back. They say anything to keep you around. If you have a permanent job now somewhere else, I would not do it. Chances are very slim you will be hired permanent.

Sounds like you’re not going to do it, probably the right decision. I tried it. I was not a good fit for me. I didn’t care about being laid off in January, but supervision seemed overbearing, like they’re just waiting for you to screw up. They pay a lot, but it wasn’t worth it for me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Sounds like you’re not going to do it, probably the right decision. I tried it. I was not a good fit for me. I didn’t care about being laid off in January, but supervision seemed overbearing, like they’re just waiting for you to screw up. They pay a lot, but it wasn’t worth it for me.
Lol

ManInBrown

Lol. Yeah supervision tends to be overbearing at a job where you make 100-120K a year to do nothing. Those darn supervisors. Some nerve

barnyard

KTM rider
Overbearing?!?!?!??!
I feel like it is a walk in the park compared to package.

Some hubs are hiring off the street feeders, so this could be a real thing.

Overbearing?!?!?!??!

I’m used to a much more laid back environment. I’m sure it works for you guys and that’s great, just saying it wasn’t for me.

They don’t, I never meant to imply that they do.

My next job, and current one rarely have commas on the checks, unless I work a lot of overtime, which I usually don’t care to.

Do what works best for you kiddo, I’ll do the same.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
T

Take the interview at minimum and ask if it is permanent or seasonal. If it is permanent that is offered get it in writing so they can't flip flop later. Never hurts to take an interview

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Abf contract is garbage. The raises are garbage.
Hell you would make more by driving a garbage truck.

Overbearing?!?!?!??!

New to feeders but up in dispatch we have a sheet that literally says "Do you know who you're supervisor is?" With lists for which drivers are assigned to which supervisors. And yes I really don't think most drivers know or care to know. I'm not sure if this is still true but I heard our circle of honor drivers even got out of doing annual ride alongs, also many of the mileage guys flat out refuse to let the supervisors drive during ride alongs. Let's just say coming from package most of the time I dont even feel like I'm working for the same company.

Blackbeauty7123

Are you talking about the sleeper team positions out of Hammond?? If so they are absolutely hiring off the street FT for feeders. If you’re talking about the typical solo gigs that are seasonal/temp then everyone is right you’ll be a distant memory to Dispatch for sure come the new year. Although you can’t trust HR as far as you can throw them, for what it’s worth I’d try and get the details about what exactly they’re hiring for. If it’s sleeper team, that’s permanent. They’re hiring teams like crazy in the chicago area, not to mention across the country. The company couldn’t find any applicants because 21/hour is too low of wages for most truckers so they were forced to up the starting wage to 30/hour. 710 drivers in Illinois/Indiana/Iowa currently in progression caught wind of this situation so the company just recently matched all the solo drivers pay to 30/ hour. Good luck to you

Last edited:

The Goat

If it seasonal they start u off at $30 a hr and if it permanently then they start u at $21 a hr..

Hopkin Illinois hiring team guys off the street permanently might wanna check it out.

trickpony1

No clue what this even means, you clearly misunderstood my post.

It means the management that complain about what hourly employees make should have signed a feeder bid instead of going into management.

Some of our feeder management like to complain about what feeders make. They are reminded that they also had a chance to go feeder.