Delivering out of 4x4

Brownwind

Make sure to always keep a few bags of sand and a shovel in your truck in the winter. They will come in handy when you get stuck….and you will get stuck.
When you’re that far out trust me you are on your own. Your customers are going to help you out but if you have no coverage then you can’t contact them.

If they’re going to close the gates on the pass don’t bother going. Sometimes you have to chain up and go around. I always have my road bag with me in the winter and I’m in an p800 Don’t be afraid to park and sheet if needed. Hope it works for you. I’m guessing you have midrange seniority and are escaping a town route. (Durango center?)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When you’re that far out trust me you are on your own. Your customers are going to help you out but if you have no coverage then you can’t contact them.

If they’re going to close the gates on the pass don’t bother going. Sometimes you have to chain up and go around. I always have my road bag with me in the winter and I’m in an p800 Don’t be afraid to park and sheet if needed. Hope it works for you. I’m guessing you have midrange seniority and are escaping a town route. (Durango center?)
Nope. Retired, but I had two rural routes before that. Not in the Rockies though.

@Operational needs doesn't leave the airport.

You're looking for @Rolling Brown Out

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Oh. I was just replying to the thread.
1293281C-33A5-4333-B1D7-01696458852C.gif

Brownwind

I got a new route in the mountains of Colorado. I'll be delivering out of a 4x4 truck. More miles, less stops. Anyone doing
View attachment 429400

Si, pero los Migrantes Assuming I am correct and "how does this square" means what I think it does, it's simple:

After more than 2 years of ridiculous unforcasted growth in the e-commerce market, UPS is now experiencing a natural contraction in volume on the backside of an unprecedented crisis and accelerated inflation, but UPS is well positioned going forward.

Being true to their longstanding playbook, the Company is again trying to squeeze yet more blood from the turnip, selling it as a long term downward market trend to try and scare our members into accepting less.

Where I am from supervisors working is being grieved at a blistering pace, drivers are still being scheduled for 6 days, 9.5 violations are now suddenly a problem again, egress remains the same problem it has been for years and nobody wants to work here anymore.

Don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe and hold solid on what is important.

~Bbbl~™

The main advice I'd give, is that you will be expected to change your own tires, and the jack that comes with the pickup isn't big enough. It's really dangerous. Buy something along the lines of a little 2 ton jack, and keep it under the sloping shelf. It's faster and safer. You might think it's silly that you should have to buy it, and it is, but just do it. It's not worth the risk of getting hurt.

Keep a tow rope behind the seat in the winter, along with a little shovel.

As far as calling customers... what the old-timers around here always say, goes something like this: (1) Never burn customers in the summer, by trying to leave stuff in town. (2) Never leave stuff that might make them upset-- big, awkward, possibly damaged. (3) Never leave stuff without their approval.

In the winter, if a road looks questionable, and a customer tells you it's okay and it turns out not to be, you know that customer isn't a reliable source of info. Learn from when you get burned, and maybe just EC that stop in the future on iffy days.

In the winter, you can almost always get through the first drift, and the second. It's the third and fourth drifts that you get hopelessly stuck in. Don't drive through stuff that you can't back through, unless the road is wide/cleared enough to do a three point turn. You can get through pretty big drifts, as long as the road is pretty clear on both sides. 5" snow not yet plowed, plus drifts, is not good.

When you find yourself saying, "I can get through anything in this pickup," you're about to get stuck.

Brownwind

Bring that thing by my house. I have a buddy looking for some 4 X 4 parts.
Yeah buddy. I had one of those crap routes. Most of the people are just trying to get away from it all. The rest are a bunch of wack jobs.

Remember the further that 4x4 takes you in the longer it takes them to come find you. Bring warm clothes because you’re going to need them.