"Delivery date updated" question

Kapi

Hey guys, first post here, I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong section, or if I'm being a pain. I have a simple, yet complex, question to ask.

I bought an LCD monitor on eBay on November 27th. On the 29th, I got 2 e-mails, one from PayPal saying the item was shipped, and one from UPS Quantnum that says the same, and gave me a tracking number. It also told me that the estimated delivery date would be November 30th.

So, on November 30th, the UPS guy came and went, he usually stops at the medical center across the street, so I nknew he was around, but he didn't stop :(. Anyway, I put the tracking number into the UPS website, and it still had the "Order Processed, Ready for UPS" message. Later that night, I checked again, and it had an updated delivery date of 12/1. That's fine with me.

That morning, the site said the package was on the vehicle for delivery, from Edison NJ. I live in Coopersburg, PA. So I figured that there'd almost be no reason for it to not show up. But still, never came. That night, it updated the delivery date to 12/2. Anyway, I didn't hold my breath, and came home from work tonight, and now its updated AGAIN to 12/5, Monday!

So, what the heck is going on? Its not urgent that I get this, but I'm curious as to what could be happening, I've never seen this happen before, and UPS is incredibly reliable, even during the holidays. Is it that the seller may have never sent the item to begin with?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Tracking Info:
Number: 1ZA174A70398906625
On Vehicle for Delivery Today
1 Business Day(s) Left

Scheduled Delivery Updated To:
Monday, 12/05/2011, By End of Day

Last Location:
Edison, NJ, United States, Thursday, 12/01/2011

Shipment Progress
LocationDateLocal TimeActivity
Edison, NJ, United States 12/01/2011 2:13 A.M. Out For Delivery
12/01/2011 2:12 A.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/29/2011 11:07 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

p228

If there is no problem with the label (eg illegible, wrong zip code, etc) then Edison screwed something up. They probably missed the package on their earlier sort and it was scanned by their preload shift. They load the package cars which is why it says 'out for delivery' even though it doesn't go there. They should have loaded it into a trailer for either Allentown or Willow Grove, depending on which load they build.

pretzel_man

If there is no problem with the label (eg illegible, wrong zip code, etc) then Edison screwed something up. They probably missed the package on their earlier sort and it was scanned by their preload shift. They load the package cars which is why it says 'out for delivery' even though it doesn't go there. They should have loaded it into a trailer for either Allentown or Willow Grove, depending on which load they build.

Something does not seem right, and it looks like multiple problems to me.

Even though you got a message on the 29th that the package was shipped, the first time UPS shows handling the package was on the 1st in Edison. I'm assuming the shipper was in NJ???? I hope so.

Edison shows the package as out for delivery on the same date. I think that is incorrect. Edison would not deliver your address (I don't think so).

Since that's the last scan, I'm a little concerned. There should have been a departure scan afterward. Or an exception scan.....

Its likely, the shipper didn't give the package to UPS until the 1st. Its also likely that Edison improperly scanned the package at 2:12 AM on the
1st (making it look like it was ready for delivery).

Its also likely that Edison didn't properly scan the package as it was loaded into a trailer for your destination (or the trailer didn't leave Edison due to having too much volume).

I'm betting you will have a delivery on Monday....

In either case, a call to UPS is appropriate.

Good luck and thank you for being so patient.

rocket man

hey guys, first post here, i'm sorry if i posted in the wrong section, or if i'm being a pain. I have a simple, yet complex, question to ask.

I bought an lcd monitor on ebay on november 27th. On the 29th, i got 2 e-mails, one from paypal saying the item was shipped, and one from ups quantnum that says the same, and gave me a tracking number. It also told me that the estimated delivery date would be november 30th.

So, on november 30th, the ups guy came and went, he usually stops at the medical center across the street, so i nknew he was around, but he didn't stop :(. Anyway, i put the tracking number into the ups website, and it still had the "order processed, ready for ups" message. Later that night, i checked again, and it had an updated delivery date of 12/1. That's fine with me.

That morning, the site said the package was on the vehicle for delivery, from edison nj. I live in coopersburg, pa. So i figured that there'd almost be no reason for it to not show up. But still, never came. That night, it updated the delivery date to 12/2. Anyway, i didn't hold my breath, and came home from work tonight, and now its updated again to 12/5, monday!

So, what the heck is going on? Its not urgent that i get this, but i'm curious as to what could be happening, i've never seen this happen before, and ups is incredibly reliable, even during the holidays. Is it that the seller may have never sent the item to begin with?

Thanks for your help, i appreciate it!

Tracking info:
Number: 1za174a70398906625
on vehicle for delivery today
1 business day(s) left

scheduled delivery updated to:
Monday, 12/05/2011, by end of day

last location:
Edison, nj, united states, thursday, 12/01/2011

shipment progress
local time
activity
edison, nj, united states
12/01/2011
2:13 a.m.
out for delivery
12/01/2011
2:12 a.m.
origin scan
united states
11/29/2011
11:07 p.m.
order processed: Ready for ups
so thats how it works?

Kapi

Thanks everyone! I have no clue how UPS works, so seeing that for the first time was really weird. It was shipped Ground, so I know it could take several business days, but even then, UPS has almost always gotten my shipments to me within 3 days, so I figured its just something that got messed up by accident. The shipper is indeed in New Jersey. I'll give UPS a call and see if they have any more info, maybe then we can get it all sorted.

Thanks for your help, and thanks for all of those who make UPS possible, and great! Like I said, I have no bad things to say about UPS, the drivers around here are awesome. I can't say the same for some other places....

The truth of the matter is that we are in the first of four weeks of our busiest delivery time of the year and those in charge, way way up the ladder, have completely blown the planning for this year. They have prevented us on the local level, the ones who actually provide service to you, from providing the quality service your normally accustomed to. We on the local level apologize. It is just as much as an embarrassment for us as well as heartbreaking to see our once great company's image and the image of your personal service person tarnished in they eyes of you our customer.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If Edison is anything like Dulles was this week, they rolled a lot of volume. Wednesday and Thursday were probably the worst but even yesterday I had to leave pieces in the building because I couldn't fit them all on the car. Nobody was available to shuttle them out later either because every supervisor was on road running a route. Hopefully we should get the last of it cleaned up on Monday and you will have your new monitor before xmas :wink2:

Kapi

The truth of the matter is that we are in the first of four weeks of our busiest delivery time of the year and those in charge, way way up the ladder, have completely blown the planning for this year. They have prevented us on the local level, the ones who actually provide service to you, from providing the quality service your normally accustomed to. We on the local level apologize. It is just as much as an embarrassment for us as well as heartbreaking to see our once great company's image and the image of your personal service person tarnished in they eyes of you our customer.

Its not your fault at all. I know that this is the busiest time of year, and I expect things to get delayed. I can't blame that on anybody, its just the way it is. As long as you care about the work you do, and the people you service, you're doing your job perfectly fine as far as I see it.Like I said, its the first time I've ever seen a quirk like this, it doesn't mean I hate UPS now, believe me, I've used them all, and UPS is the best by far. For example, if its something that's expensive, my driver won't release it to anybody but me. He won't even put it in the door. Its just that one small thing that makes a difference!

If Edison is anything like Dulles was this week, they rolled a lot of volume. Wednesday and Thursday were probably the worst but even yesterday I had to leave pieces in the building because I couldn't fit them all on the car. Nobody was available to shuttle them out later either because every supervisor was on road running a route. Hopefully we should get the last of it cleaned up on Monday and you will have your new monitor before xmas :wink2:
That's cool to know! Its a shame that they put so much work on you guys during the holiday, but I bet you're happy when its all said and done with, lol!

3-5 business days :wink2:
I knew that :P. Like I said, I was just curious about this quirk.