demonstration

moreluck

golden ticket member
Seattle Occupier Arrested For Exposing His Junk To Children…

Just like the Tea Party, eh Barack?
SEATTLE (KOMO) — A man accused of exposing himself to children at least five times across Seattle was arrested early Tuesday morning.
Seattle police say he was taken into custody at his Kenmore residence around 1 a.m.

Officers had been given a composite sketch of the suspect and detectives learned he had been at Westlake Park taking part in the Occupy Seattle protests.

The man is accused of exposing himself three times on Sept. 29 — once in Crown Hill, once near Alki Beach, and a third time on Capitol Hill. Three days later, he was spotted at Pinehurst Playfield near Northgate, and then again on Oct. 3 at the Lakeside soccer field in North Seattle.

In one instance, the man allegedly approached two 13-year-old girls on swings, made a comment and was engaged in a lewd act when they turned to look, according to police.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I forget, how many rapes happened at Tea Party protests? Now I remember — none.
(CBS Cleveland) — An “Occupy Cleveland” protester tells police she was raped in her tent over the weekend.
Cleveland police are investigating an alleged sexual assault incident Saturday at the “Occupy Cleveland” rally involving a 19-year-old female student from Parma.

According to police reports, the 19-year-old student was instructed by “Occupy Cleveland” personnel to “share a tent with the suspect due to a shortage of tents.” The suspect identified himself as “Leland” to the woman. The woman told police that after she had thought the suspect went to sleep in his own bed, she slept in a sleeping bag provided to her by the rally.

The student went to school Monday and told a teacher about her sexual assault incident in Public Square — which is being classified as “kidnapping/rape” — prompting the teacher to immediately contact the authorities.

“Occupy Cleveland” is one of many movements taking place nationwide in the wake of “Occupy Wall Street,” which is protesting against corporate greed.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
#OccupyBaltimore Discourages Sexual Assault Victims From Contacting Police, Offers Counseling for Perpetrators by Derek Hunter
As the Security Committee of Occupy Baltimore, we release this statement to ensure the safety of our newly forming, delicate yet strong community.
Sexual abuse and assault are dehumanizing acts for the survivor as well as the abuser. It strips people of their right to safety, dignity, and respect, basic values which embody many of the intentions behind Occupy Baltimore. As a vibrant community, we recognize and give power to these values and the rights of survivors.
Sexual abuse or assault at Occupy Baltimore is in violation of our values, and will not be tolerated. It is an explicit policy of Occupy Baltimore to prohibit abuse by any members of the community upon another person. Violation of this policy will result in the abuser no longer being welcome at the occupation.

Any member of the Occupy Baltimore community who believes he/she/they have been a victim of, are aware of, or suspect a commission of sexual abuse, are encouraged to immediately report the incident to the Security Committee. T (sic)
The point person for dealing with these situations will be Koala! (sic) Largess, (443) 642-XXXX.
Survivors of Sexual Abuse will be given the support, resources, and assistance needed for their emotional and physical health.
The Occupy Baltimore prohibits retaliation against any member, survivor, or outside person who reports in good faith a complaint of an abuser or who participates in any related inquiries. False accusations of sexual abuse in bad faith can have serious consequences for those who are wrongly accused. Occupy Baltimore prohibits making false and/or malicious sexual abuse allegations, as well as providing false information during an inquiry. Anyone who violates any part of this policy will not be welcome at Occupy Baltimore.

Occupy Baltimore’s Security Committee will make every reasonable effort to keep the matters involved in the allegation as confidential as possible while still allowing for a prompt and thorough inquiry. All allegations of abuse will be treated seriously and thoroughly investigated.
If the survivor wishes to involve law enforcement, in order to obtain physical evidence of the assault, you must report the incident within 72 hours or the assault as collection and preservation of evidence is critical. Occupy Baltimore will also work to supply the abuser with counseling resources to deal with their issues.
The Occupy Baltimore Community has a Zero-Tolerance policy for any sexual, physical, or mental abuse of or by a community member.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't agree with this, even though it would greatly benefit both of my children and my son in law. No one forced them to borrow this money--we considered it to be an investment in their future. As was stated in the article, there are many ways to manage student loan debt--forgiveness should not be one of those ways.
I'm with you on this one. I know of several....many people who upon graduation owed more on student loans than the person could payback in ten years working in their chosen field. This makes me wonder if these people put any real thought into the decisions of what course of study to take and how to finance their college career.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe they should rent some portable toilets!!

Don’t these people hate money?

NEW YORK (AP) — The Occupy Wall Street movement, which has spent a month bashing banks and other corporations, has become a money manager itself.

The movement has $435,000 — $85,000 of it donated in person at the Manhattan park that’s become the epicenter of the global “anti-greed” protests and the remainder from online credit-card donations, said Darrell Prince, an activist using his business background to keep track of the daily donations.

“It’s way more support than we ever thought would come in,” Prince said.

Figuring out what to do with the money could prove to be one of the biggest challenges for a movement devoted to building consensus among activists with wide-ranging goals and united by anger more than by strategy.

The protesters have been spending about $1,500 a day on food, and also just covered a $2,000 laundry bill for sleeping bags and jackets and sweaters. They’ve spent about $20,000 on equipment such as laptops and cameras, and costs associated with streaming video of the protest on the Internet.

They have more than money donations, too. They have a mountain of donated goods, from blankets to cans of food to swim goggles to protect them from pepper spray – some stored in a cavernous space on Broadway a block from Wall Street.

klein

Für Meno :)
They are still camping out here in cold Edmonton, since Saturday. They got told to move from the owner yesterday monring, too (by then they should have been gone), but just like in NY, the owner changed it's mind.

I guess, it's just a matter of when it gets REALLY cold ! They will move ontheir own - they are pretty brave to be out there now !

The city supplied portables for them to go.
So, we don't have that problem here. But, yes, they seem to have everything, too - Outdoor kichen, coffee, wifi, probably even portable heaters.
No harm done here - everything going peacefully, anyways.

moreluck

golden ticket member
They are still camping out here in cold Edmonton, since Saturday. They got told to move from the owner yesterday monring, too (by then they should have been gone), but just like in NY, the owner changed it's mind.

I guess, it's just a matter of when it gets REALLY cold ! They will move ontheir own - they are pretty brave to be out there now !

The city supplied portables for them to go.
So, we don't have that problem here. But, yes, they seem to have everything, too - Outdoor kichen, coffee, wifi, probably even portable heaters.
No harm done here - everything going peacefully, anyways.
High wind warnings in Chicago and 25' waves off the lake !!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
This weekend is the Head of the Charles.
The Head of the Charles Regatta, also known as HOCR or HOTC, is a rowing race held on the penultimate complete weekend of October each year on the Charles River, which separates Boston and Cambridge, Massachusetts.
The race is named the "Head" of the Charles because it is a head race.
It is the second largest 2-day regatta in the world, with more than 8,900 athletes rowing in around 1,750 boats in 56 events.
It attracts about 300,000 spectators throughout Regatta weekend.
I wonder if these peaceful protesters will attempt to march along the Charles River this weekend ?
Basically most of their group belongs to one or more of these colleges along the route.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Report: ABC Reporter’s Life Threatened at Occupy Oakland, “We Shoot White Bitches Like You Around Here”…

Early yesterday morning, we received a tip from a reader in the San Francisco East Bay area who informed us that a local reporter’s life had been threatened by an activist at the Occupy Oakland demonstration.

Our source, who is fearful of reprisal and has requested anonymity, says that KGO-TV’s Amy Hollyfield was accosted by a man who threatened her and used a racial slur:
“We shoot white bitches like you around here.”
Other local morning news reports from three of the major Bay Area stations suggested that the Occupy Oakland tent city had descended into rat-infested squalor with complaints of vandalism, public urination, sexual harassment, and sex in public.

The night before, local CBS affiliate KNTV had reported that one Occupy Oakland activist had set his dog on a reporter in a vicious attack that would have maimed his arm had the reporter not been wearing a suit jacket.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Baltimore Occupiers Discourage Sexual Assault Victims From Going To The Police, Will “Supply Abuser With Counseling”…

Yes, still just like the Tea Party.
(Baltimore Sun) — Efforts by the Occupy Baltimore protest group to evolve into a self-contained, self-governing community have erupted into controversy with the distribution of a pamphlet that victim advocates and health workers fear discourages victims of sexual assaults from contacting police.

The pamphlet says that members of the protest group who believe they are victims or who suspect sexual abuse “are encouraged to immediately report the incident to the Security Committee,” which will investigate and “supply the abuser with counseling resources.”
The directive also says, in part, “Though we do not encourage the involvement of the police in our community, the survivor has every right, and the support of Occupy Baltimore, to report the abuse to the appropriate authorities.”

moreluck

golden ticket member
Horrific Oppression At OWS! “I Am An Occupier, I Am A Drummer, And, Despite What They Say, I Am Also a Human Being”… And the person who said that was dead serious.

These people are insane.
Via Gothamist:
. . . Last night’s General Assembly meeting in Zuccotti Park was “one of most contentious ever,” in large part due to a heated debate over whether the drummers at Occupy Wall Street should be given $8,000 from the movement’s coffers to buy more drums and equipment. It seems some of the drums were stolen or vandalized, and the drummers asked the General Assembly to help them regroup. “We have worked for you! Appreciate us,” one drummer told the crowd, but the appeal was denied, and the Huff Post’s Craig Kanalley tweeted, “Drummer who didn’t get money from GA tonight now yelling, cursing at members of GA.” Meanwhile, another member of the drum corps was lashing out at the Community Board meeting.

“I am an occupier, I am a drummer, and, despite what they say, I am also a human being,” Ashley Love, a young member of the OWS People of Color Working Group, told the packed Community Board meeting last night. Mother Jones reports that Love was met with booing when she informed the locals, “It’s primarily a commercial area; not too many people live there. The majority of the drummers are people of color with low-income or no-income backgrounds, and Wall Street was built by slaves when they brought the Africans over here. The council people back then prohibited drumming because it was a way of protesting. It was a way of communication. And I just think you guys are scapegoating us.”