Dependability

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

am I the only one here that is noticing that you took a week off for a cracked tooth and root canal. What kind of dentist did you go too? I know I am going to get slammed here. Im not saying you deserve a warning letter, but wow a week for a cracked tooth.

Dilli is a cover driver and may/may not have been scheduled to work. The warning letter is simply frustration on the part of the sup over the situation. I think she did all that she could to minimize her down time but, as pickup some, we all don't react to dental surgery in the same, and this cracked tooth/root canal knocked her for a loop. She was offered the choice of taking a week layoff or working the preload/metro and she chose the layoff. She was then asked to cover a route. I think her mistake was asking "which one" and then declining when she was told it was a route that she did not want to run. I think, and this is my opinion only, she should have agreed to run the area but only if a sup rode with her, so that she could drive and he would deliver. They were in a bind, needed someone to cover a run.

BTW, how would a cracked tooth qualify for comp?

P

pickup

Dilli is a cover driver and may/may not have been scheduled to work. The warning letter is simply frustration on the part of the sup over the situation. I think she did all that she could to minimize her down time but, as pickup some, we all don't react to dental surgery in the same, and this cracked tooth/root canal knocked her for a loop. She was offered the choice of taking a week layoff or working the preload/metro and she chose the layoff. She was then asked to cover a route. I think her mistake was asking "which one" and then declining when she was told it was a route that she did not want to run. I think, and this is my opinion only, she should have agreed to run the area but only if a sup rode with her, so that she could drive and he would deliver. They were in a bind, needed someone to cover a run.

BTW, how would a cracked tooth qualify for comp?

I think it would qualify for comp if it happened as a result of work for example if she got nailed by her handtruck ,etc.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think it would qualify for comp if it happened as a result of work for example if she got nailed by her handtruck ,etc.
So you crawl into work and get nailed by a dollie, been there done that, will never do it again..............But seriously the meds alone disqualify you, and you already chose layoff, so do not answer the phone. You were laid off. Not on call. Water under the bridge.
But next time....
Also My husband thinks every time the phone rings it needs to be answered.......I told him, you answer your phone, Ill answer, if I choose to ....Mine

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
am I the only one here that is noticing that you took a week off for a cracked tooth and root canal. What kind of dentist did you go too? I know I am going to get slammed here. Im not saying you deserve a warning letter, but wow a week for a cracked tooth.
To the best of my knowledge, the warning letter has nothing to do with the cracked tooth. However, I am not 100% on this as I have not heard back from my BA. I believe if you had read the posts thoroughly you would have gotten this.

Upstate may be right in that I made a mistake by asking. That will become evident at some time in the future. But I did not put me on lay-off and it was MY choice to take the week off or bump into preload. I chose the week off. He left himself swinging in the wind by laying off to many drivers. NOT MY PROBLEM! And all of a sudden I have to be the one to rescue him. NOT! And I will stand by that.

Now, let me clue you in to a little bit of my Rider that I did not know about until today.

SW PKG Rider Art. 26 Layoffs

............................................... la la la la......................................

...... The employee, once selecting his layoff option may not change his/her selection for the duration of the current layoff.

Now I realize that this may be interpreted in various ways (UPS has this down to a science) but my interpretation is that I can't change my selection. So again I stand by my decision. And I will stick to this decision for the rest of the week.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would say that you are probably right, Pickup. This is not the case. I was at lunch, meaning I was eating lunch. It could have happened at any time. I have no desire to file a claim that is unnecessary.

bigbrownhen

Dilli, you seem to be a dependable, hardworking gal to me from your other posts, and your mngmt team knows that, they are just frustrated and trying to take it out on you. Its their way of bulling you into fixing their screw ups, same old story.
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan on how to deal with them..
BTW, hope your tooth is better.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli, you seem to be a dependable, hardworking gal to me from you other posts, and you mngmt team knows that, they are just frustrated and trying to take it out on you. Its their way of bulling you into fixing their screw ups, same old story.
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan on how to deal with them..
BTW, hope your tooth is better.
Thanks Hen, and yes my tooth is better though I still have to wait for a crown.

And for those that think they know how much time I should take to heal, I do not do well with dental work. My jaw still hurts today.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

And for those that think they know how much time I should take to heal, I do not do well with dental work. My jaw still hurts today.

This sounds like an FMLA deal to me. I would get the paperwork and have your dentist fill it out, that way it doesnt count as an occurence. You cant drive a truck on pain meds.

Doesn't matter. A warning letter is way beyond progressive discipline. It's pure retaliation.
You are absolutely correct. at least if you were in our center it would be.
For some reason some management believe that poor planning on their part should constitute an emergency on our part.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why would you file as comp? I would think this occurred at lunch which is non paid. If your not getting paid I would think you are not working on your job.

• Get a note from dentist for days missed.
  • Never answer the phone for UPS. Let them leave a voice mail. Then you decide "when/if" you get that message.
  • You are laid-off this week, not on call. Right?
Should I update your avatar? :wink2:

1988.png
LOL

Because every princess needs a crown.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Y
For some reason some management believe that poor planning on their part should constitute an emergency on our part.

A classic ... I had this on a plaque on my desk for many, many years until it disappeared one night at the Corporate office.
"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."