Designated Responder Questions

Elmo.goes.to.prom

Why would it be your responsibility to find a replacement? That sounds like management work to me.

I don't know. It is actually written like that in our supplement. I read and reread it. So I guess I am stuck until I quit.

No biggie. Only reason I wanted to quit responding was because our building doesn't utilize responders.

barnyard

KTM rider
The down side is getting out of the job.

In my building, it was included in the job description for half of our combo jobs. If you want a combo job, you have to be a hazmat responder.

Back when I was a preloader, I did it and it was a good gig, at 1st. Then they started cracking down on OT. Could not work 1 minute of OT. It was very routine to have 5-10 tubs sitting, waiting to get processed, some would sit for a week or 2. When my annual training came up, I passed.

Last edited:

DriverNerd

Pros
Day goes by fast
You do the same job everyday, yet it's always different
OT (depends of course)
You get to see things you've never heard/thought of....i.e. Fox urine, Starfish for dissection, 5 gallon buckets of manure, the many different types of acids, etc.

Cons
Aprons, gloves, and goggles are a nuisance when it's hot
Cleaning leakers outside wearing above gear when it's below 0 or over 90 (or in trailers when it's over 80)
Deal with somewhat toxic chemicals

I was a responder for 4 years before becoming a driver. I loved it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was a responder for a while in a fairly large hub. We nearly always have two active responders plus a backup. It's not a bad gig but you must have a higher than average tolerance for b.s., even by UPS standards. One of the pros is that when there's no leakers and damages for DMP and you have everything up-to-date, it's just a waiting game more or less.