Designated Responder Questions

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Jfountain, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Elmo.goes.to.prom

Elmo.goes.to.prom Active Member

I don't know. It is actually written like that in our supplement. I read and reread it. So I guess I am stuck until I quit.

No biggie. Only reason I wanted to quit responding was because our building doesn't utilize responders.

2. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

What do they do when there is a leaker?

3. Elmo.goes.to.prom

No clue

I am working as directed. Preload manager told me to only do hazmats/leakers when they come and get me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. just chillin'

just chillin' Rest in peace wooba

what if you fail the yearly breathing test?

5. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

In my building, it was included in the job description for half of our combo jobs. If you want a combo job, you have to be a hazmat responder.

Back when I was a preloader, I did it and it was a good gig, at 1st. Then they started cracking down on OT. Could not work 1 minute of OT. It was very routine to have 5-10 tubs sitting, waiting to get processed, some would sit for a week or 2. When my annual training came up, I passed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. Elmo.goes.to.prom

Then you don't qualify.

7. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amateur Malthusian

Loads of responsibility, no authority.

8. zubenelgenubi

Then a supervisor is probably taking care of them. Ask around and have people let you know when that happens and grieve it if you want the time.

9. DriverNerd

DriverNerd Active Member

Pros
    Day goes by fast
    You do the same job everyday, yet it's always different
    OT (depends of course)
    You get to see things you've never heard/thought of....i.e. Fox urine, Starfish for dissection, 5 gallon buckets of manure, the many different types of acids, etc.

Cons
    Aprons, gloves, and goggles are a nuisance when it's hot
    Cleaning leakers outside wearing above gear when it's below 0 or over 90 (or in trailers when it's over 80)
    Deal with somewhat toxic chemicals

I was a responder for 4 years before becoming a driver. I loved it.

10. Elmo.goes.to.prom

Dmp area is not being used. I still audit it.

11. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

I was a responder for a while in a fairly large hub. We nearly always have two active responders plus a backup. It's not a bad gig but you must have a higher than average tolerance for b.s., even by UPS standards. One of the pros is that when there's no leakers and damages for DMP and you have everything up-to-date, it's just a waiting game more or less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. zubenelgenubi

Must just be lucky and never have any leakers, I guess?