Desperately needing advice for an Engineering project. Help?

soharris1

Ok. So. I'm a student studying Mech. E, and one of my electives involves gaging potential interest and usage for certain patents. If there was a sensor that tracked wind direction and speed, and told the driver to adjust his or her speed a specific way in order to maximize fuel economy, would this product be of any use to UPS drivers and in what way? Please be as honest as possible. Also, if this product could be modified to have an even greater impact, in what way should it be modified? Thanks y'all!

Best,
Olivia Harris

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ok. So. I'm a student studying Mech. E, and one of my electives involves gaging potential interest and usage for certain patents. If there was a sensor that tracked wind direction and speed, and told the driver to adjust his or her speed a specific way in order to maximize fuel economy, would this product be of any use to UPS drivers and in what way? Please be as honest as possible. Also, if this product could be modified to have an even greater impact, in what way should it be modified? Thanks y'all!

Best,
Olivia Harris

What up girl

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Best,
Olivia Harris
Gonna be as honest as possible. Shove it where the sun don’t shine, and gather data on your farts!

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS don't give a crap about fuel mileage. They put on a good front about being environmentally friendly but they would never tell someone to slow down to get better mileage.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Best,
Olivia Harris
Wind resistance and fuel economy?
That 10 miles an hour your are driving in a neighborhood going from one house to the next really creates a lot of resistance.
Worst thesis idea ever

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Wind resistance and fuel economy?
That 10 miles an hour your are driving in a neighborhood going from one house to the next really creates a lot of resistance.
Worst thesis idea ever

I'm thinking she should pitch her idea to Mr. Musk.

Five to ten more miles range on Autopilot, guaran-freaking-teed.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Best,
Olivia Harris
You’d have a better chance designing a piss bottle holder

Box Ox

If there was a sensor that tracked wind direction and speed, and told the driver to adjust his or her speed a specific way in order to maximize fuel economy, would this product be of any use to UPS drivers and in what way?

No. But I would be interested in any center manager replacement you could come up with. We’d save a :censored2:load of money if we could just do our jobs.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was in Industrial Engineering at UPS.
Robot drivers - yes
Teamster drivers - incapable of processing that info.

You're probably 50 years too early.

Oh, please.

I was very adept at calculating wind speed and direction when it came to tossing Penney's and Lands End bags onto porches.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Even if Ups did buy it, a driver isn't going to slow down just because some machine tells us to and Ups knows it. I back first multiple times a day, but we aren't supposed to do that either.

Dr.Brownz

Best,
Olivia Harris

But can it calculate the air speed of an unladen African swallow?

Dr.Brownz

Best,
Olivia Harris

Real talk: Speed (namely how long something takes) is always going to be the key factor in all decisions. No one is going to care about fuel economy when they could just pay a little extra and get it done faster. Faster means more production ($$$). The massive investment is not worth it for such a minimal gain

Maybe re-purpose into a sensor to detect when wind speeds are becoming hazardous (might cause a rollover or veering or something). Something like that could be advanced to fit into an automated vehicle in 100 years. You are welcome college student with no real world experience, this dropout did your homework for you.