Diad Holder Thing

oldngray

nowhere special
It really wasn't. I rather do 15 more stops with DR and EDD. The job is way less stressful now than before if you can believe that.
Old ways had a lot bigger learning curve but once you learned a route things were definitely easier.

Of course a lot of that was because the dispatches were a lot more reasonable.

barnyard

KTM rider
IMG_0135.JPG

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
It really wasn't. I rather do 15 more stops with DR and EDD. The job is way less stressful now than before if you can believe that.
Depends on your mentality and your memory. Like mentioned, once you learned a route you knew it. I still remember routes and areas from almost 30 years ago when I first learned to drive at UPS. Plus size/weight limit was less. It has become easier grabbing a package and delivering it. But it's definitely not helping drivers learn routes and free think how to run them better. Work smarter not harder. EDD sucked, Orion makes it worse. Especially mall routes on EDD and all routes on Orion. I still destroy Orion, and it's supposedly masking the EDD I personally set up stop for stop. That was only good thing about EDD was routes without multiple delivery points at one address. I spent a good 6 hours, on the clock mind you, grooming my route I'm on now to run correctly with just minor adjustments. I know route I left still wasn't correct after all the work I did on it. I gave up. Multiple business complexes through most of it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Two cups of coffee?

Those are 30 oz Rtic cups for water. I put them in the freezer at night, add ice cubes in the morning and keep them in my lunch box while I drink my 2, 20 oz cups of coffee. Once I am done with my coffee, I fill my cups up with water. When they are fill of ice, they do not hold much water and I found that with only 1, I was not drinking enough water during the day. With 2 cups, I am drinking enough water and it is always icy cold. I carry at least 3 quarts of water and usually 1 16 or 20 oz bottle of some kind of electrolyte.

One of the stores on route had some mango/pineapple/orange juice special. All juice and really tasty. I bought a pile of those and have been drinking 1 a day for a week or so. Way, way, way tastier than any of the electrolyte drinks.

All the bosses know that I do it and they all know that if they are riding with, that they need to bring a bottle holder for themselves.

I have several city parks that have cans and a bunch of new construction with porta cans on route. I have at least a dozen, non retail places on route to hit a can.

The day I took the photo, the last of my water was in those cups, it was 91 and the humidity was ridiculous. I delivered to a house and the neighbor across the street ran that out to me. I had 20+ stops left and was kind of worried that I would run out of water. It hit the spot.

The juice that I bought, also fits perfectly in the new bottle holder.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
I run

i can def see it was definitely stressful back in the day. ESP now with phones.
Wasn't stressful at all. Only as stressful as you made it. You learned the grid you were delivering, the cars load was the same everyday pretty much. Say sequence 1245 was always the 15900-16499 block of 126th street every day. So once you learned a route you always knew it. Packages were smaller and 70# weight limit. More P5s, P6s, and not many P9s and P1s. There weren't any P12s. The worse part was when it rained. We had multiple clipboards and had to keep one on the heater to dry out while you wrote on the dry one until it got soaked. Plus tracking numbers really didn't exist. What they had were 6 digit shipper numbers and removable barcodes. They would scan them in when you turned in the stack at end of shift. Was actually pretty simplistic.

Johney

Wasn't stressful at all. Only as stressful as you made it. You learned the grid you were delivering, the cars load was the same everyday pretty much. Say sequence 1245 was always the 15900-16499 block of 126th street every day. So once you learned a route you always knew it. Packages were smaller and 70# weight limit. More P5s, P6s, and not many P9s and P1s. There weren't any P12s. The worse part was when it rained. We had multiple clipboards and had to keep one on the heater to dry out while you wrote on the dry one until it got soaked. Plus tracking numbers really didn't exist. What they had were 6 digit shipper numbers and removable barcodes. They would scan them in when you turned in the stack at end of shift. Was actually pretty simplistic.
Don't forget having to know when you changed area's so you had to start a new page on the old paper records. I tell some of the young kids this and they look at me like I've lost my mind. What do you mean changing area's? No clue.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Don't forget having to know when you changed area's so you had to start a new page on the old paper records. I tell some of the young kids this and they look at me like I've lost my mind. What do you mean changing area's? No clue.
Oh yeah, that and filling out your paper timecard and tallying up all your stops/pieces per area to put on your timecard