Did I pick a bad time to get hired? or... (On Topic)

Little bit of context for this post, I'm going to my second work week in a couple days as a new hire knowing that Black Friday is metaphorically right around the corner, which means the package volume is going to spike HEAVILY (I work at the new Alderwood Hub in NE Portland btw.)

So I've just recently finished my first week as an AM Preloader. I've had 3 days working the belt and I'm already having doubts, but I just really wanna confirm something, and that something is if I'm just thinking about this too much.

The first day in that week was only working on one truck with my Supervisor/Trainer doing two other trucks next to mine.

The second day I had two *rental* trucks while my supervisor worked on a regular truck and helped me with my second rental truck because the shelf numbering was mirrored since the cab in the rentals are separated.

The third day being my day before my first three days off (3 day weekend currently but 2 day weekends going forward) was three trucks so now it was time to get a real feel before box numbers spike.
Now, I THOUGHT I knew how to multitask but nope, that did not exist once I started at UPS.

So here's the TLDR
I'm feeling like I will be dragging everyone on my belt behind because I just don't think I'm simply fast enough to keep a good rate between pulling Bags off the metro line, loading packages. etc etc. SO
As a new hire starting preload work about a month from Black Friday and the Holiday Season, did I choose the worst time of year to be a new hire, and is it realistic enough to assume that I'll just need to do my best? or am I going to have to kick my own :censored3: because I'll be seen as a problem by the other preloaders?

Little bit of context for this post, I'm going to my second work week in a couple days as a new hire knowing that Black Friday is metaphorically right around the corner, which means the package volume is going to spike HEAVILY (I work at the new Alderwood Hub in NE Portland btw.)

So I've just recently finished my first week as an AM Preloader. I've had 3 days working the belt and I'm already having doubts, but I just really wanna confirm something, and that something is if I'm just thinking about this too much.

The first day in that week was only working on one truck with my Supervisor/Trainer doing two other trucks next to mine.

The second day I had two *rental* trucks while my supervisor worked on a regular truck and helped me with my second rental truck because the shelf numbering was mirrored since the cab in the rentals are separated.

The third day being my day before my first three days off (3 day weekend currently but 2 day weekends going forward) was three trucks so now it was time to get a real feel before box numbers spike.
Now, I THOUGHT I knew how to multitask but nope, that did not exist once I started at UPS.

So here's the TLDR
I'm feeling like I will be dragging everyone on my belt behind because I just don't think I'm simply fast enough to keep a good rate between pulling Bags off the metro line, loading packages. etc etc. SO
As a new hire starting preload work about a month from Black Friday and the Holiday Season, did I choose the worst time of year to be a new hire, and is it realistic enough to assume that I'll just need to do my best? or am I going to have to kick my own :censored3: because I'll be seen as a problem by the other preloaders?
Production is a management problem. They could have started you off in the unload and eased you into one of the hardest jobs in the building. Do the best you can with the limited training you have received. I am amazed you were instructed to load the rental truck backwards. Last week in my building the preloader loaded the air in the nose of the rental so that the driver was delivering his 10:30 air at 4:00 in the afternoon.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

So here's the TLDR

Speaking as a guy who works at the end of a belt, when new people start, they absolutely ARE going to slow me down with their missed stuff.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna chew you out for it, though.

We were all new once. I'm not going to give you hell as long as you do your best. There's going to be plenty of drama here in a few weeks without picking stupid fights

Things you need to remember:

UPS has terrible supervisors with no clue how to train people.
UPS expects you to work at an unreasonably fast rate.
UPS values speed over safety.

Aside from the Portland bit, all these problems you're experiencing are going to get fixed with time. Talk to your drivers, and the guys around you. See if they can give you any tips.

Above all, work safely. Those rentals are a great way to sprain your ankle.
Keep your chin up. You can do this.

barnyard

KTM rider
A friend of mine recently started as a preloader in my building. I had no idea he had quit his FT gig and was looking for work. He did the preload for 3 days and left. He said that the lack of training was ridiculous. My building is short a preload supe, but even with a full staff, the training is horrid.

This is one of those things that only you know for sure. Some people can do it, some it takes a little longer. You need to decide that if you are a short term or long term and if the benefits are worth the effort.

Last edited:
Production is a management problem. They could have started you off in the unload and eased you into one of the hardest jobs in the building. Do the best you can with the limited training you have received. I am amazed you were instructed to load the rental truck backwards. Last week in my building the preloader loaded the air in the nose of the rental so that the driver was delivering his 10:30 air at 4:00 in the afternoon.

Well the idea with the backwards order is because drivers have to open the back of the truck so having the 1,2,3,4K shelves closer to the back door only makes sense.

As for unloading vs loading... I feel like unloading would of been easier for sure because of the belt machine being able to extend into truck trailers and whatnot, because at least I can get the speed down without wrecking my soul

OKLABob

Take your time man and work at a safe pace everything will fall into place you will learn your trucks and the bulk stops where they go etc you will get faster over time without even trying keep your head up buddy!

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist

So here's the TLDR

I am in the same boat as you in terms of finishing my first week. Me and the guy training me have been banging out 4 trucks. It is fast paced and I picked it up pretty easy as far as where stuff goes. When the drivers come in, ask them if they prefer something one way, etc. They will for sure help you because it makes it easier on them (at least that has been my experience.) I was doing 3 trucks on my second day by myself and at times, it got overwhelming, but I survived. Even though we were training, I tried to tell him at times to let me work on three of them so I could get used to it. Dont give up man, you got your foot in the door and from what I have been told by people, this is the best time to get your foot in the door. They usually do call backs after peak. Bust your butt because one day we will look like the guys next to us banging out trucks like its nothing.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I am in the same boat as you in terms of finishing my first week. Me and the guy training me have been banging out 4 trucks. It is fast paced and I picked it up pretty easy as far as where stuff goes. When the drivers come in, ask them if they prefer something one way, etc. They will for sure help you because it makes it easier on them (at least that has been my experience.) I was doing 3 trucks on my second day by myself and at times, it got overwhelming, but I survived. Even though we were training, I tried to tell him at times to let me work on three of them so I could get used to it. Dont give up man, you got your foot in the door and from what I have been told by people, this is the best time to get your foot in the door. They usually do call backs after peak. Bust your butt because one day we will look like the guys next to us banging out trucks like its nothing.

We need some new guys like you at my center. Welcome aboard! :)

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
One step at a time. It will get done

That attitude right there. That’s the only difference between you (OP) and senior people. They aren’t faster than you, they aren’t better than you. They’ve just learned to not give a * and take it all in stride. You’ll get there too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nike

Keep your options open brother, this company offers some pretty good benefits compared to other companies, (especially for part-time work) but always keep your eyes open for something better. The preload is always poorly run, I have never heard, whether on here or in person, of a well run and managed preload.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That attitude right there. That’s the only difference between you (OP) and senior people. They aren’t faster than you, they aren’t better than you. They’ve just learned to not give a * and take it all in stride. You’ll get there too.
I think it comes down to how you manage time. If you spend 20 seconds in the truck moving stuff around, it adds up as a preloader. No different than pc drivers who aren't organized and waste lots of time with selection and etc. They may drive fast and walk fast but you can't make the time lost back, at least safely.

Basically, being smooth saves time and that comes with experience.

rocket man

So here's the TLDR
I'm not even reading your article I think you should quit now if you think you're asking if it was a good time or a bad time to get hired we don't need you move on move on move on

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'm not even reading your article I think you should quit now if you think you're asking if it was a good time or a bad time to get hired we don't need you move on move on move on

Disagree. His concern was actually him being overly considerate.
He was worried he would be slowing other people down, since he is new.

It's very rare to find a new person concerned about those working around them, instead of just doing the minimum, and not caring.

Y'all might have better load quality if more preloaders cared.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Disagree. His concern was actually him being overly considerate.
He was worried he would be slowing other people down, since he is new.

It's very rare to find a new person concerned about those working around them, instead of just doing the minimum, and not caring.

Y'all might have better load quality if more preloaders cared.

even if they did care ups will work that out them in short order

watdaflock?

A friend of mine recently started as a preloader in my building. I had no idea he had quit his FT gig and was looking for work. He did the preload for 3 days and left. He said that the lack of training was ridiculous. My building is short a preload supe, but even with a full staff, the training is horrid.
Does your friend lack organizational skills? How much training does one need to preload?

lol....your friend got beaten by a cardboard box.