Did the intial interview, so how do I convey that I want the job?

CACH117

At some point you'll be hired. I filled an app and randomly they called me to come in a month or so later. Took a tour started the following Monday. I work in CACH as a loader/unloader,and it's hard work. Decide what you want to do from the first shift. I decided I'm only staying until I graduate college and in the mean time make as much money as possible. That path led me to a part time supervisor which I test for tomorrow, however I will say this. If you're looking to stay long term, stay hourly. I see the way these employees behave and respond to sups, and their union is what they have to fall back on. If you show them just how much you can work, they will work you into dehydration, at the same time telling you to drink water as a PCM. I've been there 42 days, work two trailers as well as first picked to help other outbounds, while nearly everyone else just builds false walls and gets to go home closer to 4 hours than 6. Your pay is abysmal, at best without working doubles, you're looking at 150 a week. Flow sometimes gets extremely backed up, rarely will you have someone to help you. Hell I've struggled to keep my two loads just below the bell sounding and still been pulled to clean another load before continuing with my own. With all that said, the benefits in my situation outweigh the negatives. If you're not in school, the initial pay and benefits at a different place of work will exceed UPS. Even staying a couple years as a loader/unloader won't reach what some jobs around here pay from day one. It's up to you to decide if you want to work for UPS, or make UPS work for you.

Needle Ran

At some point you'll be hired. I filled an app and randomly they called me to come in a month or so later. Took a tour started the following Monday. I work in CACH as a loader/unloader,and it's hard work. Decide what you want to do from the first shift. I decided I'm only staying until I graduate college and in the mean time make as much money as possible. That path led me to a part time supervisor which I test for tomorrow, however I will say this. If you're looking to stay long term, stay hourly. I see the way these employees behave and respond to sups, and their union is what they have to fall back on. If you show them just how much you can work, they will work you into dehydration, at the same time telling you to drink water as a PCM. I've been there 42 days, work two trailers as well as first picked to help other outbounds, while nearly everyone else just builds false walls and gets to go home closer to 4 hours than 6. Your pay is abysmal, at best without working doubles, you're looking at 150 a week. Flow sometimes gets extremely backed up, rarely will you have someone to help you. Hell I've struggled to keep my two loads just below the bell sounding and still been pulled to clean another load before continuing with my own. With all that said, the benefits in my situation outweigh the negatives. If you're not in school, the initial pay and benefits at a different place of work will exceed UPS. Even staying a couple years as a loader/unloader won't reach what some jobs around here pay from day one. It's up to you to decide if you want to work for UPS, or make UPS work for you.
Thanks for that. Very informative to how it's like to work there and hopefully you're right about them hiring me.

My location made us fill out the union papers and everything, but I've learned that it doesn't mean jack squat until you've gotten the start date. Even then, I've heard people say that they've pulled on it and told people they were full, so I'm trying my best not to get too high or too low with this even though this is currently the only work I care to do right now.

And they made us fully aware that other places pay more. Part of the first interview seems to be a warning that you won't be exactly breaking the bank. Based off what people are saying, it sounds like it should pay closer to the salary after a few months rather than a bit over min wage to start, but I get they want to see if people are serious about staying there or not.

The main thing that attracts me to this though is the fact you don't have to deal with customers and that it pays weekly. The tuition program is also a nice perk. Besides, I'm in the type of jam financially where 150 a week would literally save me, so that won't be too big of a problem as long as I can make it until the raises kick in.

I just hope I can adjust to the physical demands of it just like I did in retail.

Needle Ran

Also, at your lo cal, did they do anything special to the people that got the job like take them to the back, or did they make you call for a start day and wait like everyone else?

I know it's different everywhere, but the more time that passes, the more I think I got weeded out.

Daalcaar

Thanks for that. Very informative to how it's like to work there and hopefully you're right about them hiring me.

My location made us fill out the union papers and everything, but I've learned that it doesn't mean jack squat until you've gotten the start date. Even then, I've heard people say that they've pulled on it and told people they were full, so I'm trying my best not to get too high or too low with this even though this is currently the only work I care to do right now.

And they made us fully aware that other places pay more. Part of the first interview seems to be a warning that you won't be exactly breaking the bank. Based off what people are saying, it sounds like it should pay closer to the salary after a few months rather than a bit over min wage to start, but I get they want to see if people are serious about staying there or not.

The main thing that attracts me to this though is the fact you don't have to deal with customers and that it pays weekly. The tuition program is also a nice perk. Besides, I'm in the type of jam financially where 150 a week would literally save me, so that won't be too big of a problem as long as I can make it until the raises kick in.

I just hope I can adjust to the physical demands of it just like I did in retail.
One thing you should keep in mind is that during the first few weeks you will have a certain amount of money deducted for your check to pay for union initiation. Where I work at it is 25 dollars a week. Until you pay off the 340. Just saying.

Needle Ran

One thing you should keep in mind is that during the first few weeks you will have a certain amount of money deducted for your check to pay for union initiation. Where I work at it is 25 dollars a week. Until you pay off the 340. Just saying.
Yeah, I've heard. I believe it's about 18 here.

The way things are going now though, I probably don't even have to worry about it. I might just start applying to their rivals.

Future

Victory Ride
You'd think so, but I live close to big city (not going to say which one as that might give it away) so I'm sure they literally have thousands of people willing to do the work which means they have a weeding out process, I'm just trying to make sure I didn't get the tail end of it.

Anyway, did the tour and didn't ask a question because the guy before me stole my thunder and I thought making up a question that would have been dumb probably would have made me stand out for all the wrong reasons, so I kept my mouth shut. They told us to call back for a start date in which I'm waiting a call back on now.

I hope like hell I'm not getting the old jerk around as I saw that more appointments are open for the shift I chose. There were seriously tons of people there, so I hope that's not a sign that I wasn't what they were looking for.

But then again, it might just be.
TOLEDO?

32F driver

You don't have to join the union if you don't want to or can't afford it right now. You will be pressured to join, just tell them no, not yet. I worked preload for 3 years & cover drove for 1 1/2 years before I joined. You don't make squat starting out. UPS rewards people who stay with money. Stay away from management positions unless you want to become an a**hole. They send you to school to teach you how. Be prepared to work hard & fast, & bring a cooler with something light to drink. In the summer, you'll sweat like a pig. Good luck.

Needle Ran

That's about as many hints I'll drop for now unless I get in. Wouldn't want them knowing who it complaining about them not calling promptly, (lol)

You don't have to join the union if you don't want to or can't afford it right now. You will be pressured to join, just tell them no, not yet. I worked preload for 3 years & cover drove for 1 1/2 years before I joined. You don't make squat starting out. UPS rewards people who stay with money. Stay away from management positions unless you want to become an a**hole. They send you to school to teach you how. Be prepared to work hard & fast, & bring a cooler with something light to drink. In the summer, you'll sweat like a pig. Good luck.
Well they already made me sign the papers, so I'm stuck if I do get hired. If I was told it was optional, I probably would have backed out, but then again, so would most people which is probably why they don't tell us.

And I strongly doubt I have could ever be in management. Not enough of an a$ kisser to even be considered (which is probably why I'm still unemployed...)

PT Car Washer

Also, at your lo cal, did they do anything special to the people that got the job like take them to the back, or did they make you call for a start day and wait like everyone else?

I know it's different everywhere, but the more time that passes, the more I think I got weeded out.
May be just your timing. If your sort just hired a bunch of newbies it may be a week or two to train them up and see who will stay and who have already quit. Not the greatest job in the world. A lot of potential maybe. In the mean time don't stop looking at other opportunities'.

Needle Ran

May be just your timing. If your sort just hired a bunch of newbies it may be a week or two to train them up and see who will stay and who have already quit. Not the greatest job in the world. A lot of potential maybe. In the mean time don't stop looking at other opportunities'.
Makes sense. I don't have tons of time to wait, so if they don't hurry, I'll have to just jump to something else and maybe hope that the person who axed me from the tour leaves or it's a different one next time or something.

Plus if the tour is how they evaluate new hires, I'd much rather just have a real interview anyway. They got me all excited for nothing essentially.

Daalcaar

It depends what state you are in. In California you are forced to join the union since it is not RTW.

32F driver

That's about as many hints I'll drop for now unless I get in. Wouldn't want them knowing who it complaining about them not calling promptly, (lol)

Well they already made me sign the papers, so I'm stuck if I do get hired. If I was told it was optional, I probably would have backed out, but then again, so would most people which is probably why they don't tell us.

And I strongly doubt I have could ever be in management. Not enough of an a$ kisser to even be considered (which is probably why I'm still unemployed...)
I guess tactics change in 13 years as I started in July of '01.My union assault came verbally, after I started. I flat refused for 4 1/2 years. If you can get hired, stick with it if you can handle it. The money will come in time.

32F driver

It depends what state you are in. In California you are forced to join the union since it is not RTW.
Hmm, never thought about that. Not sure how that would go over with me, as I, like many other people, I'm sure, don't like the idea of being forced to do anything. Especially if it is gonna cost me money.

Needle Ran

Don't blow off Fridays. They will love you
That is if they even let me work that is which I'm starting to doubt...

I guess tactics change in 13 years as I started in July of '01.My union assault came verbally, after I started. I flat refused for 4 1/2 years. If you can get hired, stick with it if you can handle it. The money will come in time.
A lot has changed since the last decade. Employers are way more strict in hammering stuff like this down you're throat which I guess isn't a surprise considering the economic climate.

But still, it makes me wish I has older so I could have entered the job market then and not now. And the worst thing is, I see it getting a lot worse before it gets any better.

May be just your timing.
Oh and one more thing on this, I doubt it was my timing. I think I just didn't make the cut.

There were like 20+ people there when they gave the tour and they took like forever once they issued us back into the room where we were addressed initially, so I put it at about 95% that's the time they were judging who they were going to call back right away, and who they were just going to leave waiting. And looking back, I probably have a great idea of who probably got the call back promptly. I guess I seemed too cavalier or something.

Regardless, as I said, I saw appointments open up again on the application page like a few days after for my shift, so the way I see it, that's not a great sign considering all they had to do is ring me up if they wanted to finish the hire considering how far I am in the process, so I'm obviously not their first pick either way it goes. Seeing how the first interview was very basic, scratch the 95%: I'm now 100% sure they use the tour somehow in their screening process. At least at my location.

I'll probably give them one more call and that's it for the time being. I'm need a job way too much to play follow up call games at the moment which is a shame since I did want this job.

Maybe I'll apply again during the holiday when they actually need people if it doesn't work out and maybe I can even get a better shift. Or hopefully, I'll have steady job so I won't have to. It all depends.

But for now, I'm probably done barring a miracle of some sort.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Easy tiger. Jeez I think you talked yourself out of a job. Give it more than 5 seconds. They called me a week after the tour for an interview.

sent using smoke signals

Needle Ran

Easy tiger. Jeez I think you talked yourself out of a job. Give it more than 5 seconds. They called me a week after the tour for an interview.

sent using smoke signals
lol, yeah, I know...

I'm just going to ease off of them for now as the woman said go ahead and call back if we don't get the call in a few days, so I followed her directions, so that's it, I've done my part. All I can do is wait.

So here's hoping that 1) They don't read these forums and 2) They don't figure out who it is, cause if either one happens, I'm toast.:bored2:

upschuck

If you have called and they say that you are still a candidate, then believe them. They are not going to keep you hanging on for no reason.

This is how it works in my hub, yours sounds different. First the tour, then about half the time interview the same time, other half they interview at a later date, but usually within a few days. If things are good at that time, they interview with a sup/manager for the sort that you want, and after that get put on a list so when there is a need, they call from that list. They seem to be continuously running tours whether they are hiring or not, just to keep that list stocked.