difference from last peak to this.

Last peak season I was a seasonal. That was kind of a sweet deal when it was a little slower because of the retention bonus we have here. Not sure if everywhere has that. Anyway to the meat of my question:

Last year during peak I was all over the place. I was running routes 5 or 6 days a week. And I was like #26 on the call list.(not an exact number but I was low)

I am now full time. I'm in the top 10 on the list. This year I did nothing but shift. And there were like 6 or 8 days where I'd shift for 4 hours and then run across the state. The hours were fine. I'm not complaining. I mean I do absolutely despise shifting but I was working.

My question is where did all those runs go? I suppose they must have gone to contractors? If so is that really fair to the guys who are now in the 20's? It was a bummer for me because I had to climb in and out of a shifter all night but I can't imagine how much of a bummer it must have been for those guys, and girls, trying to get into this place to have to survive on the scraps from contractors.

Sidequestion. I know things are slow now but I didn't work at all last week. I was warned and offered an inside bid for the week(which I declined so as to take my chances at getting called. I can make more money in my garage than working inside which is a whole other conversation) Is it really that slow? And if so, How long is this slow season?

Indecisi0n

Last peak season I was a seasonal. That was kind of a sweet deal when it was a little slower because of the retention bonus we have here. Not sure if everywhere has that. Anyway to the meat of my question:

Last year during peak I was all over the place. I was running routes 5 or 6 days a week. And I was like #26 on the call list.(not an exact number but I was low)

I am now full time. I'm in the top 10 on the list. This year I did nothing but shift. And there were like 6 or 8 days where I'd shift for 4 hours and then run across the state. The hours were fine. I'm not complaining. I mean I do absolutely despise shifting but I was working.

My question is where did all those runs go? I suppose they must have gone to contractors? If so is that really fair to the guys who are now in the 20's? It was a bummer for me because I had to climb in and out of a shifter all night but I can't imagine how much of a bummer it must have been for those guys, and girls, trying to get into this place to have to survive on the scraps from contractors.

Sidequestion. I know things are slow now but I didn't work at all last week. I was warned and offered an inside bid for the week(which I declined so as to take my chances at getting called. I can make more money in my garage than working inside which is a whole other conversation) Is it really that slow? And if so, How long is this slow season?
If you're full.time.and not working that's your fault. You can get your 40 hours any week.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

If your an off the street full time feeder I’d keep my head down and stay out of the way

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

No work for the week then no insurance for the week as well.

I’m not going to go bust my ass working for slave wages inside when I can make 5 times as much busting my ass on my own side work. I’ll take the week lay-off with the chance to get called once over clearing what $400? for the week given I’m in year 1 of the 4 year progression. And if I don’t get called and I need to use my insurance I’ll pay the $400 for cobra. I’m not above loading trucks I’m just not gonna do it for what they pay for it. If anyone actually feels like addressing my question that’d be great.

rod

Retired 22 years
I’m not going to go bust my ass working for slave wages inside when I can make 5 times as much busting my ass on my own side work. I’ll take the week lay-off with the chance to get called once over clearing what $400? for the week given I’m in year 1 of the 4 year progression. And if I don’t get called and I need to use my insurance I’ll pay the $400 for cobra. I’m not above loading trucks I’m just not gonna do it for what they pay for it. If anyone actually feels like addressing my question that’d be great.
Just make sure you get enough hours in so you don't lose a year of pension credit. You wouldn't be the first person ready to retire that got told "sorry - in 19?? you didn't get enough hours to earn a years pension credit." Then you get to work another year.

Days

Slave wages huh. When I started working one of my checks for a week was 36 cents after union dues were taken out.

I could buy a few things with it too

Blazian81

When you do inside work , you keep your same pay from my understanding.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
You would be working inside at your same feeder rate of pay, knucklehead.

MattM

Good luck joe. You make a bad name for converted workers. As someone else mentioned, inside rate may be 5 times lower , but that’s the norm. Welcome to the new normal.

Basically You’re the worst type of worker. So many go into preload with an expected drive date some 5-7 years in the future. You’re a spoiled rotten new bred worker. You suck.

watdaflock?

Good luck joe. You make a bad name for converted workers. As someone else mentioned, inside rate may be 5 times lower , but that’s the norm. Welcome to the new normal.

Basically You’re the worst type of worker. So many go into preload with an expected drive date some 5-7 years in the future. You’re a spoiled rotten new bred worker. You suck.
Wow, Matt. Jealous much? Dude already said he has his own side business. Why so butt-hurt Joe only wants to drive?