Different start time!?

Guru

For all you P/T loaders, has your supervisor ever told you to come in 30 minutes earlier than your original start time? My supervisor told me to come in at 4:30 AM this whole week and I don't know if it's till my normal end time which is 9:00 AM or 8:30 AM. Did she tell us because of an increase in packages that UPS gets or some sort of meeting?

Brownsfan

That happens a lot where i come from. UPS is always worried about losing a dollar and making a dollar. So they try and tune the start times to where they can optimize there work force and handle the extra volume or the lack of volume.

DS

Fenderbender
That happens a lot where i come from. UPS is always worried about losing a dollar and making a dollar. So they try and tune the start times to where they can optimize there work force and handle the extra volume or the lack of volume.
This is the right answer

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you are asked to come in 30 min. early then you are guaranteed 30 min. OT for that day.

WHAT?!?!?!? No matter what your start time is, you are only guaranteed 3.5 hours as a PT employee. Even if Preload isn't wrapped by 8am., they could very well tell him to sk-daddle so he doesn't get any overtime. OT is NEVER guaranteeed!!!

JonFrum

WHAT?!?!?!? No matter what your start time is, you are only guaranteed 3.5 hours as a PT employee. Even if Preload isn't wrapped by 8am., they could very well tell him to sk-daddle so he doesn't get any overtime. OT is NEVER guaranteeed!!!
TheKid from Massachusetts was probably referring to New England Supplement Article 66, Section 2 (c):

"Part-time employees ordered to work before their regular start time shall be paid at straight time for work prior to their regular start time plus their guarantee."

"Overtime" here meaning over three-and-one-half hours per day.

Of course, if the start time was changed for the entire week with proper notice, then your start time is now thirty minutes earlier than before, and you are only guaranteed 3.5 hours per day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In NY, The entire sort has the same start time. Preload, Drivers, Metro, twilight, whatever its called. No staggered starts. Whether in the beginning of the shift, or at the end.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In NY, The entire sort has the same start time. Preload, Drivers, Metro, twilight, whatever its called. No staggered starts. Whether in the beginning of the shift, or at the end.

That's nice but not really the issue here. The issue here is the change in the start time for the whole shift. Our preload sups post the start times for the following week on Friday. Those times may vary by as much as 30 minutes from day to day within the week. The guarantee does not change.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
For all you P/T loaders, has your supervisor ever told you to come in 30 minutes earlier than your original start time? My supervisor told me to come in at 4:30 AM this whole week and I don't know if it's till my normal end time which is 9:00 AM or 8:30 AM. Did she tell us because of an increase in packages that UPS gets or some sort of meeting?
If you are a preloader, it is likely due to a failed plan to get the preload wrapped in less time, now pushing back the start time will make whatever start time your drivers have "work". AKA the preload will be wrapped before the drivers start time, instead of working drivers on their pulls finishing up and sending preloaders home.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That's nice but not really the issue here. The issue here is the change in the start time for the whole shift. Our preload sups post the start times for the following week on Friday. Those times may vary by as much as 30 minutes from day to day within the week. The guarantee does not change.

It does help to read the entire post. Sometimes, I jump the gun.:smart:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
What you should really be worried about is them increasing your amount and keeping your start time the same, like they've done here.

The new start time might mean your going to get more, lots more. More volume or more cars to load.

iowa boy

TheKid from Massachusetts was probably referring to New England Supplement Article 66, Section 2 (c):

"Part-time employees ordered to work before their regular start time shall be paid at straight time for work prior to their regular start time plus their guarantee."

"Overtime" here meaning over three-and-one-half hours per day.

Of course, if the start time was changed for the entire week with proper notice, then your start time is now thirty minutes earlier than before, and you are only guaranteed 3.5 hours per day.

And here in the central supplement as quoted from Article 12, sec. 2:

Any employee may be required to report to work before​
his/her regular starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular straight-time hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time in addition to the employee’s regular
guarantee.

So each supplement is different as usual.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And here in the central supplement as quoted from Article 12, sec. 2:

Any employee may be required to report to work before​
his/her regular starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular straight-time hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time in addition to the employee’s regular
guarantee.

So each supplement is different as usual.

The preload start time can be set on Friday for the following week, like it is in my center, which would not be the same as what you are quoting above. The contract language you quoted is if they called you in early.

iowa boy

The preload start time can be set on Friday for the following week, like it is in my center, which would not be the same as what you are quoting above. The contract language you quoted is if they called you in early.

Upstate, I agree with what you are saying, but the OP never stated whether the entire sort had their start times changed, or just the OP and a few other co-workers, that is why I posted what I did.

rod

Retired 22 years
All I will add is to be sure and keep track of your paid hours. UPS seems to have a hard time paying the troops what is earned even when they aren't juggling start times.