Discharged for Dishonesty

over9five

Staff member
Ma'am reading through this you now become extra incentive to fire your husband. If the case is one where the center could decide to fire or settle your constant interference in hubbys work would be another reason the center might decide to follow through and go for the discharge. you need to learn to but out of your husbands affairs at work and let him handle it.
I would never discuss the husbands activities or email anyone in the family with his work business.

Thank you, someone finally said it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Forgetting to sheet the packages up is not dishonesty. Trying to cover up missed packages is. Like trying to hide them with the pick up pieces, or heaven forbid, sheeting them up as not in 1 when they are missed.

Those are dishonest reasons. Maybe he can get his job back. But for sure, your ranting and railing on his behalf is not going to be an asset for him at any hearing, as Tie has mentioned.

So, it seems that maybe you need to get with hubby and get some more explanation as to what happened, for real. Not the sanitized version.

The help you get here is only as good as the information you provide. Lies will get you wrong answers.

d

Reno Zepher

I find it hard to believe he was fired for not sheeting packages. It just doesn't sound right. There more to this than your telling us. That is not a Cardinal Sin. You can't be fired on the spot for that. :angry: He never should have stayed home. He should have went into work the next day. As for shorting you on your check. Article 17 of the master agreement 3rd paragraph talks about wage claims. "Other shortages involving more than ($30.00) for full time employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for par-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location o n his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer's error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of hes/her daily guarantee at his/her hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected.
File the Grievance and wait for your money. Penalty pay is very good. If you didn't understand the language. You will receive 1/2 days pay for every week their late paying you. If the shortage is over $30.00 bucks.
I hope your Husband didn't sign any papers that they gave him. They could have been separation papers and if he did that then he is gone!!
Where was your shop steward during all this? That's why I say their is more to this than you are telling us. No Shop Steward would have stood for this for one minute. Even if he lied they can only send him a warning letter. He can't be fired for this.
In the future if his package car is that full all he had to do was inform his supervisor that he had way to much work and he was going to miss some packages and he would have covered his ass. Once you tell them you have to much work and packages are going to be missed you are off the hook. Take your LUNCH between the 4th and 6th hour and relax. Get your self together and send them a message on the Diad of what you think you are going to miss and your done. Stay out and work till you have to bring your pick ups back to the building and your done. :happy-very: It's not your responsibility to deliver everything in your truck. :smart: They did not consult you when they loaded it. So let them have the responsibility to get it done.
See what happens when you bust your arse to get it done? :whiteflag: Use your head for something else other than a hat rack. I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes.:peaceful:

redshift1

I find it hard to believe he was fired for not sheeting packages. It just doesn't sound right. There more to this than your telling us. That is not a Cardinal Sin. You can't be fired on the spot for that. :angry: He never should have stayed home. He should have went into work the next day. As for shorting you on your check. Article 17 of the master agreement 3rd paragraph talks about wage claims. "Other shortages involving more than ($30.00) for full time employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for par-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location o n his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer's error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of hes/her daily guarantee at his/her hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected.
File the Grievance and wait for your money. Penalty pay is very good. If you didn't understand the language. You will receive 1/2 days pay for every week their late paying you. If the shortage is over $30.00 bucks.
I hope your Husband didn't sign any papers that they gave him. They could have been separation papers and if he did that then he is gone!!
Where was your shop steward during all this? That's why I say their is more to this than you are telling us. No Shop Steward would have stood for this for one minute. Even if he lied they can only send him a warning letter. He can't be fired for this.
In the future if his package car is that full all he had to do was inform his supervisor that he had way to much work and he was going to miss some packages and he would have covered his ass. Once you tell them you have to much work and packages are going to be missed you are off the hook. Take your LUNCH between the 4th and 6th hour and relax. Get your self together and send them a message on the Diad of what you think you are going to miss and your done. Stay out and work till you have to bring your pick ups back to the building and your done. :happy-very: It's not your responsibility to deliver everything in your truck. :smart: They did not consult you when they loaded it. So let them have the responsibility to get it done.
See what happens when you bust your arse to get it done? :whiteflag: Use your head for something else other than a hat rack. I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes.:peaceful:

Well she quit posting so maybe there was more to it. I asked her about previous occasions and she was adamant it was the first. I'm thinking she's done posting for whatever reason.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Ok, I normally don't write on blogs since this is a personal matter. But I can't get answers from the people who have them. My husband has worked at UPS 10 years next month. That includes the 2 years he was activated with the National Guard.

Well on Wednesday they put his on a different route. Ok cool not a big deal. Well I called my husband to see if he wanted to meet for lunch. He said no way because his truck was loaded like there was a bull in there and he couldn't find packages. So I went on with my day as he did with his.

He had packages that were miss loaded. Now explain this how the heck do you miss load packages for Wal-mart that is on the other side of town. He saw the packages when he stopped at his first stop. He knew to call them in but with the way his truck looked at how far he was behind since they had a late start he simply forgot.

On our way home from dinner his supervisor calls. He said to him that they would be talking to him in the morning about it. Hubby calls me Thursday to come get him. We car pool to save money. I said why do I need to come get you. He told me that they fired him for not calling in the miss loads. I flipped out because we have bills and kids.

The manager told him not to worry; he should get his job back. But it can take a few weeks. Well a few weeks with the hubby not working isn't going to pay the bills and put food on the table. Let alone know we have no medical insurance. With kids that is not good.

So he files a grievance and meets up with the union guy that night. He was fueling up his truck and I had my car window down as they talked. I heard him tell me husband not to worry because JP did the same thing. Then another guy did it and falsified papers about it. They both got there jobs back.

I went to the PO Box to get the mail. There sits the paper for me to sign to get his YOUR FIRED letter. All it says is:
Effective January 22, 2009, you are here by discharged for dishonesty per Article 52 of the current labor agreement.

What the heck does that say? Shouldn’t they explain it a little more than there one sentence. My husband asked me why I signed for it. I told him that I wanted to so that way the Business manager sees that I signed it. The business manger knows not to mess with me.

If they go ahead and say nope your fired, we are planning on taking them to court since there are 2 other people who did the same thing and kept there jobs.

Does any one know what will happen next? I can’t stand sitting here waiting. I think a nice bottle of Southern Comfort will be my best friend soon. Any advice would be great. I don’t normally get involved with my husband work. But this is a big deal since he brings in all the money. I work part time from home and on the road. So I know we can’t go to long without his pay check. I also heard something about asking for pay for that time off.
Welcome to the wonderful world of package car. The job is set up by the company so that the employee can fail. Period. Too many rules to work by. Too many boneheads on a daily basis(management and customers) to deal with. Too easy for the employee to not work by all of the rules and methods and be put into a discipline situation. I've been there. I was fired twice(total joke) for "not following proper procedure". One of the times was a very similar situation to yours. I was back in a week in both instances. Should have only gotten a warning letter so the company had to pay for my time off when I won the grievance. Your husband will probably get his job back but you have to have patience. I know......easier said than done when the bills keep coming.

gandydancer

If this is real, and as described, and the Local doesn't fink him out, and whyUPS' family can hang on via his getting a temp job, then her husband will have gotten a free paid vacation and shouldn't accept suspension but can actually get a bit ahead financially. Lot of "if"s there.

And if he's been shorted hours he doesn't need to rely on grieving. Try a State Wages and Hours complaint. Will get more serious attention than an 800-number call. And the timliness requirements are probably less strict than for filing a grievance.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
You mentioned the Union Rep and center manager has got your back, that's what you need to mention to your husband. Your "Worst Case" scenarios must be giving your husband ulcers. You need to let him take care of things and relax on your part.

Just remember, a simple phone call and he would'nt have been in this situation, he's a season package driver and should have known better.

emmasdad

What I'd like to know is who is the one who filed for discharge in the first place? Doesn't the paperwork have to go through the center manager? If the center manager signed off on it and told you he would get his job back easily then who is fooling who?

P

pickup

If I were in this man's shoes, I would file for unemployment anyway and see what happens. Just because ups says it is dishonest doesn't mean state unemployment office has to accept that for the real reason. He should try(or better yet his wife should file for him and keep busy with that end until time proves if he does indeed get job back). To the original poster, you sound like an incredible woman in some regards, but your emotions might be affecting your approach to this situation.( I can't blame you because of bills etc but you are too close to this situation and I would advise stepping back a little let the shop steward handle things , they can really be a great asset in situations like this due to their experience in dealing with it before.) Best of luck to you and post when all is said and done, and hopefully with a happy ending. By the way unemployment insurance monies only start from when claim is filed. It is not retroactive so don't wait too long. I hope it is all for naught but cover all the bases in regard to having any income coming in .

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Pick

Yes indeed the unemployment office takes UPS's word for the dishonesty claim. And until you have your hearing to prove otherwise, it is a lost cause to file for unemployment.

Last time I checked though, if you wait to clear the dishonesty, then you could file retroactively.

But that was a while back, things could have changed.

Bottom line is for them to charge him with dishonesty, he actually had to have done something. You can not be dishonest for forgetting. So we are not getting the whole truth.

but your emotions might be affecting your approach to this situation
I would say it this way, your judgment in this case is very much compromised. Be quiet, stand back, and let the union and company have their round. The more you meddle, the longer and worse it will get.

d

Overpaid Union Thug

Ok, I normally don't write on blogs since this is a personal matter. But I can't get answers from the people who have them. My husband has worked at UPS 10 years next month. That includes the 2 years he was activated with the National Guard.

Well on Wednesday they put his on a different route. Ok cool not a big deal. Well I called my husband to see if he wanted to meet for lunch. He said no way because his truck was loaded like there was a bull in there and he couldn't find packages. So I went on with my day as he did with his.

He had packages that were miss loaded. Now explain this how the heck do you miss load packages for Wal-mart that is on the other side of town. He saw the packages when he stopped at his first stop. He knew to call them in but with the way his truck looked at how far he was behind since they had a late start he simply forgot.

On our way home from dinner his supervisor calls. He said to him that they would be talking to him in the morning about it. Hubby calls me Thursday to come get him. We car pool to save money. I said why do I need to come get you. He told me that they fired him for not calling in the miss loads. I flipped out because we have bills and kids.

The manager told him not to worry; he should get his job back. But it can take a few weeks. Well a few weeks with the hubby not working isn't going to pay the bills and put food on the table. Let alone know we have no medical insurance. With kids that is not good.

So he files a grievance and meets up with the union guy that night. He was fueling up his truck and I had my car window down as they talked. I heard him tell me husband not to worry because JP did the same thing. Then another guy did it and falsified papers about it. They both got there jobs back.

I went to the PO Box to get the mail. There sits the paper for me to sign to get his YOUR FIRED letter. All it says is:
Effective January 22, 2009, you are here by discharged for dishonesty per Article 52 of the current labor agreement.

What the heck does that say? Shouldn’t they explain it a little more than there one sentence. My husband asked me why I signed for it. I told him that I wanted to so that way the Business manager sees that I signed it. The business manger knows not to mess with me.

If they go ahead and say nope your fired, we are planning on taking them to court since there are 2 other people who did the same thing and kept there jobs.

Does any one know what will happen next? I can’t stand sitting here waiting. I think a nice bottle of Southern Comfort will be my best friend soon. Any advice would be great. I don’t normally get involved with my husband work. But this is a big deal since he brings in all the money. I work part time from home and on the road. So I know we can’t go to long without his pay check. I also heard something about asking for pay for that time off.

I don't understand how he was tagged for dishonesty. Not reporting misloads is not dishonesty. Either there is more to the story or your husband is getting screwed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am sorry you guys are going through this. I have found myself in this situation. My husband was dyeing of terminally ill cancer. I had fmla leave in place ups sent me an intent to terminate for to many days missed. My husband recieved it and shot himself the next day. My thinking on this is why drag families through this their has got to be another way. Since then I have been terminated twice. Please do not let ups get to you if you need to talk please message me. I am a good listener.
Ya know I read stuff like this and it is sad. It makes anything I deal with very small.

paidslave

Forgetting to sheet a package or call a package in to the center is not an act of dishonesty. (i will add, this contract needs alot of improvements when it comes to dishonesty ie: failing to complete the job is not an act of dishonesty but an infraction) I believe you have an ultimate chance of recieving full back pay for UPS's jumping the gun and not using due process per contract. I sincerely hope that this manager loses there job if you are reinstated because of reckless regard to a labor contract. There is nothing dishonest that I have read. This case, if you are telling the whole story should be very easy to win especially if there wasn't any other instances of this failure to act in the prior 9 months of employment. All I can say is file for unemployment asap given that it is not retro active if you win. A lot of states you can file for unemployment on line. If you do your research you will find the information to file.

This is a classic case that UPS uses to fire employees and i pray that UPS loses to stop these foolish managers reckless conduct of proper discipline.

Do not panic and hold true to what you stated happened. In my personal opinion this managment team is harming the company more than any good that can come out of this and this is very damaging to employee relations.

I just love how UPS trys to spin things into being dishonest!

Good luck and I hope you will be spared......:happy2:

paidslave

paidslave

Everyone has made mistakes except for the one and only Jesus Christ. This is why there is due process in this contract that was voted by its union members. A mistake is not a dishonest act. Simple! If your husband made this mistake many many many times it still wouldn't be ruled dishonesty but he could be labeled for not working as instructed certainly Not dishonesty...

To lable a mistake dishonest is in itself a blatent reckless act of dishonest in itself by management and this will most likely be determined by sane individuals! Try and have faith in this trying time. I have to believe Things will work in your favor. This appears to me that this is a very desperate lame effort on UPS's behalf to spin a mistake into being dishonest. Very lame and slim chance that that could possilby win! Every driver has forgot to call in a misloaded package or message a package in there career. Ask the union to suppoena 10 random anonomous drivers to the arbitration hearing or give depositions for evidence that you were not treated fairly I would have to believe that one would be honest enought to state that they have forgotten to call one in and was not fired for dishonesty.

I believe you will have a very good case to win full back pay!