Discharged for Dishonesty

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree with the little piggy. Here's an example of dishonesty, from my own center, and the guy was only given a 5 day suspension. Driver goes out on a supervised ride. Supe was with driver all day. 2 pkgs were missing from a delivery stop. Supe expected driver would find said pkgs later in the day and deliver them. Driver found pkgs, scratched out origingal barcodes and address labels, leaving them mixed in with pickup pieces. Pkgs were found by reload and brought to the attention of the on-road supe. The on-road supe saw the pkgs in the drivers car and expected them to be delivered.

A 5 day suspension for a blatantly dishonest act? I think all discipline should be fair. If driver X didn't get fired, than driver Z shouldn't either.

paidslave

I agree with the little piggy. Here's an example of dishonesty, from my own center, and the guy was only given a 5 day suspension. Driver goes out on a supervised ride. Supe was with driver all day. 2 pkgs were missing from a delivery stop. Supe expected driver would find said pkgs later in the day and deliver them. Driver found pkgs, scratched out origingal barcodes and address labels, leaving them mixed in with pickup pieces. Pkgs were found by reload and brought to the attention of the on-road supe. The on-road supe saw the pkgs in the drivers car and expected them to be delivered.

A 5 day suspension for a blatantly dishonest act? I think all discipline should be fair. If driver X didn't get fired, than driver Z shouldn't either.

Hi, if you know for a fact that this happened make sure you document it before you forget. Make sure that you have the Union contract and Company policy hand book regardin ALL employees be treated equal and fair and bring them to your lawyers office. It is apparent that you were not treated equal and fair and I have to believe that if you want to pursue a lawsuit you have an excellent chance for being well taken care of for a very long time or at least be reinstated!

I don't have the link to the UPS company policy but maybe someone here can help you find it!

little piggy!

whyUPS

Maybe the SoCo has her too knocked out to type? :happy-very:

Sorry everyone that I haven't come back to give an update. On Feb 1st I was at the park with my 3 yr old when I fell running after her and fractured my leg. Ya lucky me. I had to wait until Monday to go to the doctors so we had are medical insurance back.

He went in 29 Jan 2009 for his little meeting. They first said how about coming back Feb 23. But it finally came down to him going back to work 2 Feb. After the meeting the center manager said that they were useing my husband as a "Cause". To show the rest of the drivers that this can happen to everyone. My husband used to be a manager and went to driver last year. They wanted to show the other drivers that hey he was management before and we didnt care, we still fired his butt for it. Thats fine that they want to play these games.

He is back to work and some of the other drivers that are friends said, the moment you find a package that is not yours call it in right then and there. Then they came up with this, all misloads that are found need to be called in no later that 1500 hours. After that you still need to call them in, but they will be delivered the next day.

drewed

Shankman
Youre lucky you didnt have a blood clot develop in your leg and die.....
And Ive never heard of a manager going back to hourly?

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
Youre lucky you didnt have a blood clot develop in your leg and die.....
And Ive never heard of a manager going back to hourly?

I can confirm that we currently have 2 drivers in my group alone that were former supervisors. One of the former Supervisors backed his truck into a tree at his in laws house while stopping for lunch. Lied and said the damage was there when he took the truck out in the morning. They wern't buying it ( the damage was VERY noticeable) Well he finally owned up to it and got a week or 2 off.

redshift1

I can confirm that we currently have 2 drivers in my group alone that were former supervisors. One of the former Supervisors backed his truck into a tree at his in laws house while stopping for lunch. Lied and said the damage was there when he took the truck out in the morning. They wern't buying it ( the damage was VERY noticeable) Well he finally owned up to it and got a week or 2 off.

Never heard of FT Management going back to hourly in California. Some PT sups were promoted to driving but FT sup to driving never.

Loco170Brownie

My two cents is this....

HE wasn't discharged for not sheeting packages or missing them, he was discharged for dishonesty. This isn't an unusual way for UPS to deal with drivers they want to make some kind of point with. ITs a nice vague thing they can always take back at a later point as a misunderstanding.

This is not me saying he was dishonest, as I think someone said before if he was going to be dishonest he would have just dumped them at the end of the day out his back door and everything would have been hard to pin on him. But he didn't, I am taking from the story he was asked about them and said "Oh yeah I forgot to tell you guys about them, but they were on my truck", that doesn't seem dishonest to me.

I am guessing there may be more to the story, some kind of underlying disagreement between the Driver and the center manager.

Most of us that stand up for our selves have been discharged at one time or another, dont take it personal and keep up the good fight.

All it takes is following every method and your over 10 everyday anyway :wink2: