Discuss: UPS CEO stumps for free trade

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS CEO stumps for free trade - Smart Money

United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS) Chief Executive Scott Davis on Thursday warned lawmakers against implementing trade protectionist measures and called for advocates to increase lobbying efforts favoring trade.

Davis said international trade isn't the major contributing factor to U.S. job reduction, rebutting a notion held by some free-trade rivals. Using his company as an example, Davis added, "Each time we add 40 new international packages in the U.S. - in other words, 40 packages imported or exported by our customers - we create another new U.S. job somewhere in our system. Last year we grew the international portion of our business by more than 10 percent, creating thousands of new job opportunities at UPS for U.S. citizens."

backinbrown

respect my authority
UPS CEO stumps for free trade - Smart Money

United Parcel Service Inc. CEO Scott Davis on Thursday told the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. that the United States and its trading partners would be making a huge mistake if they responded to the recession by adopting protectionist measures to restrict free trade.

Davis argued that global trade can actually create U.S. jobs.
“In my own company, trade is clearly creating American jobs,” he said. “Each time we add 40 new international packages in the United States -- in other words, 40 packages imported or exported by our customers -- we create another new U.S. job somewhere in our system.”

40 packages equals another new job at UPS

I don't see it 40 extra stops on truck does not equal added route

UPSNewbie

Lawl. Especially when those 40 may be inbound from one place, but can go separate directions once in the system... That'll be one more package for forty different drivers.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Maybe more like this,
If we do not protect U.S. jobs we, in fact, create more UPS jobs.

Right. So in the future in the U.S. there will be UPS, Walmart, and McDonalds. I guess delivering packages must be better than flipping burgers or stocking shelves. Than again....

Oh, I forgot about the government in this brave new world. They seem to be quickly becoming the biggest employer. Heck, China will be completely capitalist and we will become communist! :nonono:

alister

typical ups driver, only thinking about themselves! Hate to tell you this but your only one part of the job of moving a package from point A to point B. What about the part time employees in the hub the have to unload, sort, and load those packages. you also have the feeder drivers that have to move the trucks between the hubs. the airplane pilot the flies the plane.

backinbrown

respect my authority
typical ups driver, only thinking about themselves! Hate to tell you this but your only one part of the job of moving a package from point A to point B. What about the part time employees in the hub the have to unload, sort, and load those packages. you also have the feeder drivers that have to move the trucks between the hubs. the airplane pilot the flies the plane.
so tell me how many pre-loaders does it take to load 40 extra pkgs we should start hiring now

drewed

Shankman
so tell me how many pre-loaders does it take to load 40 extra pkgs we should start hiring now
Youre not getting it.....You pick up an intl air package....it goes back to your center where a pter on the local sort does key entry on it, it goes on a trailer to an airport where its sent to an air hub, pters and 22.3 arrive the aircraft unload it, the container is put on a dolly by a pter then its brought to the sort where its unloaded and scanned to an outbound load, loaded back onto plane; the plane goes to an secondary hub where the cans get shufflede around so all the correct destinations are going on the proper aircraft so at minimum your saying 7 employees had direct contact with the movement of the package and at most if you count all the people it takes to arrive and download a plane it could easily be 20-30.
And if you take in admins for the outbound documentation, flight ops, sups, intl route planning, contigency, IE, it could be double that.