UPS Pilot, what would you like to know?

FlyByNight757

I am a UPS captain based in Louisville, KY. I fly the Boeing 757 and 767 mainly around the USA, sometimes Canada and Mexico. I have flown internationally in the past, throughout Europe and Asia and Hawaii too. Now I fly mainly around the USA, sometimes Canada and Mexico. I've been flying for UPS for over 18 years. It's a great job in the flying world, no unruly passengers to deal with, and we still have a pension, which all the passenger airlines lost after 9/11. We have our own union, the Independent Pilots Association and will start formal contract negotiations with UPS in a few months. Our smallest plane, the 757 can hold 15 ULD containers, while our largest airplane, the 747-8F can hold about triple that amount, so our airplanes carry a lot of stuff onboard. The airline is headquartered in Louisville, KY but we have pilot domiciles in Miami FL, Ontario CA and Anchorage AK. Our main sort centers are Louisville KY, Miami FL, Ontario CA, Anchorage AK, Philadelphia PA, Rockford IL, Dallas TX, Cologne, Germany and Shenzhen, China.
We fly over 1,950 flights daily worldwide but recently we have cut back some flights due to lower volumes. We go through the same training as passenger airline pilots, and fall under the same aviation rules, except for a cutout for required rest which was lobbied for by UPS and passed. We continue to advocate for better rest rules and other duty limitations enjoyed by fellow passenger pilots. Pilots have a mandatory retirement age of 65, but many choose to retire a few years before that. Many of us were prior military pilots, but others flew for regional airlines or for a corporation and some even for other flying outfits including our feeder aircraft companies before coming to UPS.
Our pay and benefits are excellent. Captains typically earn over $400,000 per year while first officers earn over $200,000 per year. Our schedules vary considerably. International pilots tend to fly more days together while domestic pilots can fly shorter trips but this isn't always the case. We bid our schedules two weeks at a time and can sometimes trade a trip for a different trip. Each trip has a credit value based on several factor including duty days and hours flown, as well as time away from our base. We have pilots on reserve who cover sick calls and vacations. We stay in hotels which are setup for us, and on certain flights we are provided meals and drinks. Some airplanes have rest facilities for use when there's a third or fourth pilot onboard for the long international flights. Our longest flight is Louisville to Dubai, around 13.5 hours.

FlyByNight757

We bid our schedules 56 days at a time, two 28 day pay periods. Out of those, we typically work 14 out of 28 (28 out of 56). The days can be together or split up in various blocks.

Family

I have four pilots in the family and my daughter is considering it. Could you offer any advice to a 16 year old female?

FlyByNight757

I have four pilots in the family and my daughter is considering it. Could you offer any advice to a 16 year old female?
Flying isn't cheap or quick as you probably know. There's a group that she should reach out to, Women in Aviation WAI | Women in Aviation International Home
They offer scholarships and have local chapters. She could speak with a female pilot and get some great advice. I joined the military and it helped pay for flying. Right now there's a pilot shortage, and airlines love hiring women and minorities.

Pullman Brown

I am a UPS captain based in Louisville, KY. I fly the Boeing 757 and 767 mainly around the USA, sometimes Canada and Mexico. I have flown internationally in the past, throughout Europe and Asia and Hawaii too. Now I fly mainly around the USA, sometimes Canada and Mexico. I've been flying for UPS for over 18 years. It's a great job in the flying world, no unruly passengers to deal with, and we still have a pension, which all the passenger airlines lost after 9/11. We have our own union, the Independent Pilots Association and will start formal contract negotiations with UPS in a few months. Our smallest plane, the 757 can hold 15 ULD containers, while our largest airplane, the 747-8F can hold about triple that amount, so our airplanes carry a lot of stuff onboard. The airline is headquartered in Louisville, KY but we have pilot domiciles in Miami FL, Ontario CA and Anchorage AK. Our main sort centers are Louisville KY, Miami FL, Ontario CA, Anchorage AK, Philadelphia PA, Rockford IL, Dallas TX, Cologne, Germany and Shenzhen, China.
We fly over 1,950 flights daily worldwide but recently we have cut back some flights due to lower volumes. We go through the same training as passenger airline pilots, and fall under the same aviation rules, except for a cutout for required rest which was lobbied for by UPS and passed. We continue to advocate for better rest rules and other duty limitations enjoyed by fellow passenger pilots. Pilots have a mandatory retirement age of 65, but many choose to retire a few years before that. Many of us were prior military pilots, but others flew for regional airlines or for a corporation and some even for other flying outfits including our feeder aircraft companies before coming to UPS.
Our pay and benefits are excellent. Captains typically earn over $400,000 per year while first officers earn over $200,000 per year. Our schedules vary considerably. International pilots tend to fly more days together while domestic pilots can fly shorter trips but this isn't always the case. We bid our schedules two weeks at a time and can sometimes trade a trip for a different trip. Each trip has a credit value based on several factor including duty days and hours flown, as well as time away from our base. We have pilots on reserve who cover sick calls and vacations. We stay in hotels which are setup for us, and on certain flights we are provided meals and drinks. Some airplanes have rest facilities for use when there's a third or fourth pilot onboard for the long international flights. Our longest flight is Louisville to Dubai, around 13.5 hours.
I guess flying school didn’t teach pilots how to use proper paragraphs!

Brownwind

Cool job thanks for posting this. Many years ago ups “chartered “ flights when the cargo wasn’t flying.
Do they still do this?

Are the UFO sightings real??

FlyByNight757

Are the plane mechanics still angry?
🧔‍♂️✊
I believe the older ones are waiting for their next contract to retire. They have good pay and benefits I have been told. There are also many part time mechanics, as many of our jets stop for a few hours then takeoff again, so they meet the jet once or twice a day for a few hours.