district managers

over9five

Staff member
"I really feel for the young children of UPS district managers and wish them well!"

As do I. Must be hard when your parent has chosen work over family.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
How about the children of career military people? My one friend moved his family 10 times during his military career. They all turned out OK!

j13501

"As do I. Must be hard when your parent has chosen work over family"

Over9five,
You have touched on an area that concerns both drivers and management. I constantly read posts that reference getting home to families after the kids have eaten dinner or are in bed.

I've thought about this during my career as I've moved different places or worked long hours, taking me away from family. You wonder if you've made the right choice- is this the best thing for my family? I remember when my oldest daughter was a senior in College, she came home on spring break and told me that she and her friends were talking about college loans. She said all her friends were worried about how they would live when they graduated, because of the large monthly college loan payments. She said that she was quiet during the discussion, because she then realized that she didn't have any loans, that she wasn't worried about how she pay for her future.

She then said something that told me I'd made the right choices. She said that when she was growing up, she sometimes wondered why I couldn't be at all her activities during the week like other dads. She now understood that what I was doing was taking care of the family, living modestly, but saving money, so she and her sister could get a good start in life.

I think that what all of us parents want for our children- to teach them the values that will allow them to become independant adults. It's what keeps a driver coming to work every day, even with long hours and a challenging workload. It's what keeps a management person coming to work every day, even with long hours, moving around the country, etc. We all just want our families to have a chance to live a full and happy life.

moreluck

golden ticket member
j13501.....excellent post!

We also moved 4 times with young kids up to later teenage. I think the kids finally "get it" when they get a little older. I also think the kids are more outgoing from having to meet and make new friends.......me too.

My kids learned to make adjustments to new cities, schools and surroundings. The biggest draw back was not being in close proximity to extended family. However, some of the most exciting times were when grandma & grandpa were flying in for a visit.

island1fox

:cool: Browniehound,
Not a major disagreement with you -------just a look from a different direction. Having a supportive spouse and a loving family helps with the stress, pressure and sacrafices ------My wife was no question --"The wind beneath my wings during my 36 years at ups" After all the sacrafice {and good times too !} --we are now together 24--7 --a lifetime of vacation as was stated earlier in Channahon's post.

P.S. Satellitedriver,
We all have to make decisions in life ----In my 36 years I did many different jobs in UPS --hourly and mgmt. There are good and bad points about each of those positions. I respect your decision and hope that it is truly right for you. If you notice --I did not mention your family. Not trying to be disrespectful but I have also seen many good people -----Make decisions for only family reasons -- in the end (certainly not in all cases) the chidren grow up --make decisions for their lives -sometimes very far from the nest --no matter what you may think about it. My point is --yes --people have to consider their family but also remember --You only have one life to live ---I am not saying this to you directly --do not take it personally --but I truly believe that no one should ever look back and say " Gee I could have done so much more with my life" Live your life to the fullest. Lokking back I might have changed a few things -- but overall I was happy I did not miss the dance!!!!

good2me

And when the final day comes for your retirement, you will be smiling from ear to ear. To have a lifestyle where you don't have to rush for anything, be anywhere and take your time is quite the adjustment. An easy one at that, at least for me. We made sacrifices over the years, and now it's time to enjoy life,family, activities without a schedule to follow. Vacation for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the post Channahon! There are those days.....everyone has them, where you really wonder if its all worth it! I do work hard to make everyday worthwhile though. You have to. You don't want to wish your career away. Whatever your job here with UPS, do the best you can to enjoy what you do! I look forward to the day when I won't have to rush to be anywhere! Thanks again for the post!

shannon

do you know if they figure grievances in the monthly mathematical figure and/ or Damages I doubt they do because you never know how long it will be before they are settled not to mention when they are actually paid. Does anyone know the actual financial impact of grievance money and how ,if at all it is figured into the big picture?