DO I take the job or no??

harleyman

i was offered part time job here at ups.. 430 pm to 930 pm.. they say it will be full time in 6 months to a year before i can be time..

At the same time i was offered a job at a village of public works, in the same town i live in from 700AM to 330PM. but its seasonal pay 15.00 hr. I really want the public works cuz it close and a fun and different job everyday.

nether one is full time. but i have a chance to be full time. in the end they pay about the same.

What the hell should i do!!!!!!!!

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
i was offered part time job here at ups.. 430 pm to 930 pm.. they say it will be full time in 6 months to a year before i can be time..

At the same time i was offered a job at a village of public works, in the same town i live in from 700AM to 330PM. but its seasonal pay 15.00 hr. I really want the public works cuz it close and a fun and different job everyday.

nether one is full time. but i have a chance to be full time. in the end they pay about the same.

What the hell should i do!!!!!!!!

flip a coin:happy-very:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Interesting dilemma, sir. Personally, despite my experiences with UPS, I still think I'd take the UPS job. If you're going to college--or thinking about it--its a nice way to get half (or more) of your college tuition/fees and books paid for. I know I did. And I've worked as a helper for this Company. Man....talk about a workout! I couldn't drive for a living, though. No, sir....not something I'd be able to do. In the end, its your call but I'd take the job that offers the most stability. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
im not going to college,, im looking for a career..

You might want to re-think that and get some technical education (mechanic, for example). I know UPS' school aid is applicable at trade schools. I know UTI (Universal Technical Institute) here in Denver has a lot of UPS employees as students. There's one in the Chicago-area that also educated a lot of UPS employees.

As far as a career....I wouldn't make UPS my career at this point. Five years ago--without a college education--I might have. UPS is in management trouble. I wouldn't want ANYTHING to do with this ship in ten years if things keep going as they are. -Rocky

IDoLessWorkThanMost

im not going to college,, im looking for a career..

If you're looking for a career without bettering yourself scholarly, try part-time for awhile and if you can hang with it, get into part-time driving. Saturday Air driving work.
It's a good way to get your foot in the door, DOT card and eventually (hopefully) full-time cover or a route.

I personally got fairly lucky and bid into a full-time inside job with just 5 years part-time seniority ...had to take DOT exam and driving test because it involves a few quick trips back and forth between buildings..

Anyway, try part-time mornings or nights- you never know until you try it if you'll succeed.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
wats do u mean management trouble??? and im in chicago

:::Grunts:::. You'd have to be on the outside looking in if you really don't understand. Suffice it to say that upper-management at UPS are out of touch and stupid. I've met good upper-managment. UPS isn't it.

I can't remember the name of this school, BLAST IT!! Its something like ITT-Tech or Lincoln Tech. Have UPS pay for it and you'll be in shape for a great career with security and challenge. I was told that diesel and American cars don't pay like the imports. There's probably a reason for that.

yes,, i am a part time driver,, of the street air driver nights durring the week... but i just dont know witch job to take

I'd stay right where you are. How the H*LL you managed that off-the-street hire is beyond me. The advice about Saturday Air Driving is a good idea, though. I say give that a shot. -Rocky

rocket man

Do both jobs if you say im to tired or its to rough then you answered your own questionyou dont deserve to ever wear the browns. good by

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why couldn't you do both jobs as the public works job is seasonal but may help you get your foot in the door there and you said that you would actually prefer working there? Will the hour between jobs be enough time for you to do what you have to do (shower/change/eat) before going to UPS?

That being said, opportunities for advancement are probably better at UPS than working for the city so you need to decide which direction you would like to go.

As far as Rocket's comments go, you should realize that there are individuals like him at every job, including (and especially) at UPS, and that you shouldn't let individuals such as him deter you from doing what you want to do. Work both jobs for the summer and then, if the seasonal job becomes a full-time position, decide what you want to do.