do yall ever get

City Driver

customers who have to open everything before they accept it? drives me crazy! especially if its like 3 skids of freight and they want to open every box, i tell them i cant wait for that u gotta either except it or refuse it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

customers who have to open everything before they accept it? drives me crazy! especially if its like 3 skids of freight and they want to open every box, i tell them i cant wait for that u gotta either except it or refuse it

The only time I will let a customer open a pkg is if there are signs of damage to the exterior of the box. I will offer to help them in cases such as this.

I had a customer last week who received a small package and insisted that I stand there while he opened. I explained to him that there was no sign of damage to the package but he insisted so I wished him a good day and went on my way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If there's any possibility that it might be damaged I have no problem waiting while they check it out, if the box looks beat up I will often suggest checking it out myself. If it does in fact turn out to be damaged they can refuse it right there, which saves me the trouble of having to come back with a damage call tag the next day.

40 and out

Customer can't open package until they sign for it. I don't have too much of a problem with this. I guess I have good customers on my route. The few times someone has asked , I tell them this and they accept my answer.

tieguy

Banned
If there's any possibility that it might be damaged I have no problem waiting while they check it out, if the box looks beat up I will often suggest checking it out myself. If it does in fact turn out to be damaged they can refuse it right there, which saves me the trouble of having to come back with a damage call tag the next day.

you shouldn't deliver damaged packages to the customer.

I thought the procedure was to not deliver suspected damages and bring them back to the center for inspection?

Or did that change to.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In small package, the customer does not have a right to open the box until we get a signature. If the box is obviously damaged, but the contents probably not, then yes, I have allowed them to open it AFTER they sign, but I will wait to document the damage.

At no time did I ever take back a package that the customer opened. That leaves the driver in a tight spot should management take the hard line.

I guess working for freight, the rules are different?

d

City Driver

In small package, the customer does not have a right to open the box until we get a signature. If the box is obviously damaged, but the contents probably not, then yes, I have allowed them to open it AFTER they sign, but I will wait to document the damage.

At no time did I ever take back a package that the customer opened. That leaves the driver in a tight spot should management take the hard line.

I guess working for freight, the rules are different?

d

nah rules are the same here but more lenient, usually if a customer refuses something damaged that they signed for dispatch usually just tells us to take it back to the terminal to OSD clerk

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I thought the procedure was to not deliver suspected damages and bring them back to the center for inspection?

Or did that change to.
Well, that's why I let them check it out Tie. If it's not damaged then they can have it. If there is no one home (DR situation), then yes I would bring the package back to the center to be inspected.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The only time I will let a customer open a pkg is if there are signs of damage to the exterior of the box. I will offer to help them in cases such as this.
Ditto. Sometimes I will just tell the customer that I will make a note in the remarks column and then leave. Most times, even though the pkg exterior is damaged, the contents is intact. For customers I always see I tell them to receive the pkg and if they find out later that day the contents were damaged, I'll sheet it as refused next time I stop there. I call this the V.I.P treatment, which you'll never get at FedEx.

Well, that's why I let them check it out Tie. If it's not damaged then they can have it. If there is no one home (DR situation), then yes I would bring the package back to the center to be inspected.

I'll DR the pkg and leave a note in the remarks column. Next time I see that customer, I'll ask if the pkg was okay.

40 and out

Or did that change to.

This was the flavor of the month in my center a couple of years ago. Like many other things,this was more important than anything else for a few weeks and then never mentioned again. I think this is still the procedure, but they'll probably change it when August's flavor of the month comes out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This was the flavor of the month in my center a couple of years ago. Like many other things,this was more important than anything else for a few weeks and then never mentioned again. I think this is still the procedure, but they'll probably change it when August's flavor of the month comes out.
Ya know, you might be right. They change procedures so often I can't keep up any more, plus because of our staggered start times I haven't been to a PCM in almost two years. I just try and do the right thing by the customer.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I had a customer last week who received a small package and insisted that I stand there while he opened. I explained to him that there was no sign of damage to the package but he insisted so I wished him a good day and went on my way.
I del'd a monitor that had obvious damage to the out side of the box, last week. Something had gone through the box. So while I was there I helped the customer get the monitor out. What ever it was that went through the box had actually left a scratch on that self stick film on the screen. We peeled the film off the monitor. There was not even the slightest scratch on the screen. :anxious:

M

Mike23

LIE LIE LIE! I always tell them it's against company policy for them to open the package. They aren't signing to say they received the package in good shape but just signing to state they RECEIVED the package. I then type 'dam' in the remarks column, show them and tell them that it's now been marked as damaged so it should be easier to make a claim.

If it's not the truth, oh well, it's off my truck.

satellitedriver

I always open the pkg for the customer, in these cases. They tend to do more damage to the box trying to get into it.
Most cases, I do not deliver a suspect damaged pkg., per ODS instruction just last month. I was told to sheet it as refused and send back to the center for damage assessment.

I explain to the customer that ICC regulations will not allow me to return an opened pkg.
This is not a lie on my part.
I was trained in 1986, by UPS, that it was federal law.
At best, it is a good excuse and most customers respect it.
It may not be an ICC regulation, but it is a good policy.

Scenario;

Customer opens pkg, then refuses it. Driver re-tapes and sends it back. Original shipper claims items are missing
-(rightly or wrongly)-
and can show that the pkg had been opened, while in UPS possession.
Bingo,
claims will probably be paid.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver

Or did that change to.

Bingo! That is the correct procedure.

At least it was 3 1/2 years ago when I actually delivered packages :happy2:.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Or did that change to.

If they don't want us to deliver damaged packages then why do they continue to load damaged packages.
I've found packages that were obviously damaged in the morning before I left, sheeted them as such, only to find them back again the next day with a half hearted tape job or a new carton to try and mask the obvious damage.
We have since been told that we are not sheet packages as damaged without approval from the center team.
Deliver it today, pick it up tomorrow.
I no longer worry about it.
To me all packages are equally worthless.
Ain't that a shame?

myback

if the cust wants answers for their questions they can call the 1800 number and ask them. driver knows nothing.:happy2: