Doctor Visits and Option Days for FT Employees

I was actually just going to ask a very similar question, but since this is already a thread I'll just do it here:

I've had two unavoidable call ins in the past two weeks. Now I have 2 appt this week: one on a scheduled work day, and one on a day I should have off, but that I suspect I'll be forced in. Should i use a sick day for at least one of em or just keep calling in? Never had to call in until very recently and I still don't understand what it is, how it works, or more importantly if/how it'll be used against me. Can't find anything in the (atlantic) contract about it.
You're asking if you should call in or use a sick day? Is that not the same thing?

oldngray

nowhere special
1. That's not an unavoidable call in. You're off. Management waits until the last minute to ask you to come in, well, that's why voicemail was invented.
You don't answer the phone because it's not your problem. You can check the voicemail later when you feel like it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Never seen anyone fired for attendance. Plenty of warning letters but no terminations. We once had driver who called in over 100 times in a single year and they didn't fire him.

oldngray

nowhere special
Never seen anyone fired for attendance. Plenty of warning letters but no terminations. We once had driver who called in over 200 times in a single year and they didn't fire him.
I knew someone who did get fired for attendance. PT'er with a job on the side he cared more about. He missed work a lot when he was out of town on buying trips for his other job. He didn't care enough about UPS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I knew someone who did get fired for attendance. PT'er with a job on the side he cared more about. He missed work a lot when he was out of town on buying trips for his other job. He didn't care enough about UPS.
Actually I do remember one driver got fired but he had disappeared for like a month and came back saying that his manager had OKed him going to Florida to visit his family or some such. Manager said he didn't know nothing about it and that was it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Actually I do remember one driver got fired but he had disappeared for like month and came back saying that his manager had OKed him going to Florida to
This guy could pretty much be guaranteed to miss every Friday plus a lot of Thursdays and Mondays.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Never seen anyone fired for attendance. Plenty of warning letters but no terminations. We once had driver who called in over 100 times in a single year and they didn't fire him.
He probably took advantage of the rule that states consecutive call ins only count as one occurrence.