Does UPS management have a monthly quota on warning letters?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My checkbook is getting lighter. Retired upsers are looking at a much lighter checkbook. Oh right. Bush is at fault

No, the un- and underinsured people who continue to access the health system -- but bulk at paying for it -- are at fault. I agree that people should be able to opt out of ObamaCare. But I also believe that in doing so, they should relinquish any rights toward the health care system, unless they prepay in cash for services rendered. Refuse to pay for insurance and get cancer? Sorry, but you choose to die.

BTW, many large companies dumped retiree health insurance during the Bush administration; the burden on the un/underinsured has just become too much. $50/month is practically unheard of... unless you were in a union.

barnyard

KTM rider
Unless you have seriously considered leaving UPS and looked for other work, no one here probably has any idea how hard it is to find a job that pays more than $15/hour. All of you complaining about moochers, you could live on less than $600/wk??? Which would be closer to $500/week. I would have a tough time. It would be doable, but I would not be putting a dime in savings, nothing in retirement, plus my daughters would be accruing substantial college debt. We would be living hand to mouth.

I hear conservatives blab nonstop about how if we 'work hard' we will be rewarded with a good living. That is not always the case. Preloaders work their cans off, all of us here know they are not making a good living. Many, I would even say that most, are never going to be a FT UPSer. Lots of hard work for not so much reward. I use to milk cows. That is some hard work and long hours and almost no days off. I did not make anything close to a reasonable living.

Do not believe for one second that most people that are collecting unemployment do not want to work. Most want nothing more than to go back to work, pay their bills, get some nice things and go on a vacation every now and then. If you think otherwise, you should seek treatment to end your addiction to mind altering drugs.

If politicians truly wanted a stronger middle class, they would make it easier to organize. It is a fact that union workers make more than their non union competitors. If you subscribe to trickle down, a strong middle class, means strong spending, which means a strong economy. From what I read though, it sounds like trickle down really only works for millionaires or business owners, not workers and certainly not the middle class.

Deregulation is responsible for the loss of hundreds of thousands of strong middle class jobs. Who promoted deregulation and resists any type of reregulation??? The same people that do not want to see a middle class.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Question superballs??? Have you ever been hungry??

As a child? As a ignorant adult??

as a man??

i bet not

Nope, not a day of my life. Because when I was a child, my parents provided for me. As a teenager I had a job and helped provide for myself, and now as a grown ass man, I provide for myself AND my family because i work. Not because I am too lazy to get off my fat can and go get a job, and just wait for people to hand me money.

Welfare should be a TEMPORARY program. If you are in trouble you can collect from it, but after you use up your time, you're cut off. Simple as that.

Oh, and I would LOVE to know how you came to the conclusion that I am ignorant.......Do tell

over9five

Staff member
if we didn't have wellfair these people would just steal from you. They (the majority) will never come out of this. This is a legacy that republicans started hundreds of years ago. Republican started this because they were lazy in the first place by using slavery. It is what it is.
Wow.....

Maybe you should research that.

barnyard

KTM rider
Welfare should be a TEMPORARY program. If you are in trouble you can collect from it, but after you use up your time, you're cut off. Simple as that.

It is a temporary program, as is unemployment insurance.

Why to conservatives hate the poor????

Isn't helping people less fortunate than you the Christian way????

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

It's anything but temporary. Section 8, food stamps, it's a culture of hand outs.

I do not hate the POOR. I hate people who take advantage of the system and who drive nicer cars than I do because, on paper they don't work, but they sell drugs, or pimp out girls or any number of illegal activities. I hate THESE kinds of people.

I will help people who are legitimately down on their luck or in trouble, I will REFUSE to help anyone who will in no way help themselves.

And with that, I'm out of this conversation. Nobody will convince me of anything else.

moreluck

golden ticket member
As a landlord of multiple properties at one time.......section 8 people are guaranteed rent.........I would rather have a vacancy. They are (in my experience) the filthiest tenants you can have. The cost to clean up when they leave is much more than the steady rent that the gov't supplies.

Think dirty baby diapers smeared all over the walls and kitchen cabinets.....pigs!! This is my opinion and is MY experience with section 8'ers!

I cleaned up after these pigs!!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
So much ignorance in this thread it's disgusting.

No, there are no quotas on warning letters. Are you seriously asking that? Like someone else has already said, if a supervisor's area is not performing, and there is no sign that there has been any corrective action, that supervisor will be pressured to hold people accountable. In order to hold underperforming people accountable, we have to follow the rules that were set-up by your own precious Union. This includes warning letters. Whether or not your supervisor knows how to fix problem in any other (more productive) way is a different story. If the only thing he/she knows how to do is write up a warning letter....then they are just :censored2:bags. It's not some conspiracy.

I'm not getting into any of the debates that proceeded to derail this thread regarding political preference. Hardline partisanship, to the left OR right, is responsible for this country's issues equally. It's like having the Cowboys and Redskins trying to agree on something. Not really conducive to progress, is it?

ymelord

Doubt there are quotas, but if so, it's nice to know that I'm making my boss look good for something. I'll ask on Monday, haven't I been doing a good job, I haven't recieved any warning letters this year yet. I feel like I'm letting him down.

GameCockFan

Oh, and I would LOVE to know how you came to the conclusion that I am ignorant.......Do tell

And with that, I'm out of this conversation. Nobody will convince me of anything else.

That's how I figured it out.

UPS Lifer

There is NO quota for warnings letters.... But there is a requirement to give warning letters.

Let me explain.... We BOTH created a system that requires warning letters.

If I owned my own business, I could fire employees at will for the most part. I don't have to warn you or suspend you. If I don't like your behavior I can fire you without extensive documentation. (again, for the most part)

UPS and the Teamsters came up with the system of progressive discipline. That is a good thing. It protects the employee. With the exception of cardinal sins, I cannot fire you without warning and I cannot fire you unless there is repeated violation of the same behavior. Again, this is good.

But.... That means that I also cannot say that I'm firing you because of repeated offenses without documenting those offenses....

I'm forced to document everything.

As strange as it sounds, warning letters are the byproduct of a system designed to protect the employee. "You are warned, don't do this again".

Its required documentation, no more than that.

Pretzel Man, I can't speak for the years after 2007 but I damn well can for the years I worked there. With all due respect, there is absolutely no requirement to discipline any employee... I will preface that with unless your immediate manager or above tells you to give a warning letter or other discipline out. I do agree with your last statement that the discipline process is in place to protect the employee. It is management's responsibility to coach and counsel those folks who are not following processes and procedures. I always felt that it was my job or my supervisors job to provide the tools and skill to make an employee successful.

Monthly quota my butt----there were times I swear they had a daily quota.

This to me is a failure on managements part to communicate and train and also due to lack of experience/skill dealing with people. It is also done out of a fear that their own job is on the line. In my operation, the potential warning letter was fully reviewed by me from a shop stewards POV before any letter was issued. Now I did encourage training, coaching and counseling write ups and documentation but a warning letter was serious and I would usually get involved to make sure that I knew every aspect of the situation.

There were some managers and supervisors who were proud of the warning letters and discipline they doled out. I always felt that the true measure of working with your employees was the lack of grievances filed against you...NOT how much discipline was given.

unlike us production is in their contract. They have to produce and since they can't make us money they have to drive us like slaves. Republican are what management is. Doesn't this say it all???

This is just a completely absurd and ignorant statement and beneath your position as a steward. How can you ask for respect from management if you are unwilling to be respectful back?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
unlike us production is in their contract. They have to produce and since they can't make us money they have to drive us like slaves. Republican are what management is. Doesn't this say it all???

This is just a completely absurd and ignorant statement and beneath your position as a steward. How can you ask for respect from management if you are unwilling to be respectful back?

It is almost like he was drunk and not thinking well. :wink2:

If history serves me correctly, wasn't it a REPUBLICAN named ABRAHAM LINCOLN who freed the slaves!

A safety net is a good thing. It is using that safety net as a way of life generation to generation that is frowned upon.

Last edited by a moderator: