Does UPS management have a monthly quota on warning letters?

Ms.PacMan

Welfare should be a TEMPORARY program. If you are in trouble you can collect from it, but after you use up your time, you're cut off. Simple as that.

Oh, and I would LOVE to know how you came to the conclusion that I am ignorant.......Do tell

For one, welfare is a temporary program - NOW. It was overhauled in 1996 by Republicans. Bill Clinton gets credit for it because he signed it into law but he actually vetoed it twice and only signed it into law on the third go because he feared not doing so after making the campaign promise to "end welfare as we know it" would have been thrown in his face by Bob Dole during his re-election campaign. Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temporary Assistance for the Needy - TANF as it's now called has been a huge success (better than they expected) - it has reduced welfare recepients by over 8 million since 1997. Individual states now run their own programs and the federal gov't is no longer directly involved. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some states are now at the point that they need more latitude to keep reducing the numbers (or so they say) and approached the Obama administration for waivers on what is classified as work. Those states were Utah and Idaho and they both have Republican governors.

Welfare is such a small part of the budget but is an easy target to get people going.

Returntosender

I'm confused!

Republican Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Republican Party (also called the GOP, for "Grand Old Party") is one of the two major contemporary political parties in the United States. Founded 159 years ago by anti-slavery activists in 1854, it dominated politics nationally for most of the period from 1860 to 1932.
8386584480_0e4c93c688.jpg

8386595080_1bcae4976e.jpg

Unless you have seriously considered leaving UPS and looked for other work, no one here probably has any idea how hard it is to find a job that pays more than $15/hour. All of you complaining about moochers, you could live on less than $600/wk??? Which would be closer to $500/week. I would have a tough time. It would be doable, but I would not be putting a dime in savings, nothing in retirement, plus my daughters would be accruing substantial college debt. We would be living hand to mouth.

I hear conservatives blab nonstop about how if we 'work hard' we will be rewarded with a good living. That is not always the case. Preloaders work their cans off, all of us here know they are not making a good living. Many, I would even say that most, are never going to be a FT UPSer. Lots of hard work for not so much reward. I use to milk cows. That is some hard work and long hours and almost no days off. I did not make anything close to a reasonable living.

Do not believe for one second that most people that are collecting unemployment do not want to work. Most want nothing more than to go back to work, pay their bills, get some nice things and go on a vacation every now and then. If you think otherwise, you should seek treatment to end your addiction to mind altering drugs.

If politicians truly wanted a stronger middle class, they would make it easier to organize. It is a fact that union workers make more than their non union competitors. If you subscribe to trickle down, a strong middle class, means strong spending, which means a strong economy. From what I read though, it sounds like trickle down really only works for millionaires or business owners, not workers and certainly not the middle class.

Deregulation is responsible for the loss of hundreds of thousands of strong middle class jobs. Who promoted deregulation and resists any type of reregulation??? The same people that do not want to see a middle class.
It's so nice to see that someone else gets it besides me in this den of republicans.

oldngray

nowhere special
In my center warning letters were used as a harassment tactic with them being given out for any minor issue ( many which were grieved and thrown out) . It was primarily a scare tactic to try to squeeze more out of workers. Ans as center manager told one of his on car sups ( who was defending a driver ). "your job is not to defend them but to get more production out of them"

packageguy

To all UPS Management Employees,

For Discussion:

In the UPS Discussions Sub Forum it has been said that management has a quota of warning letters that they are required to generate on a monthly basis.

Any comments on this statement?

Sincerely,
I

As a steward, in and out of office with drivers I am convinced, there is a quota

island1fox

As a steward, in and out of office with drivers I am convinced, there is a quota

lbb,

I imagine you also believe there is a quota for how many pick ups you should miss, or how many air packages you can deliver late or how many missorts you can load or how many absent no calls you can ETC,ETC ETC---ABSURD !!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro

There. Isn't.

Being a shop steward gives you no more insight as to the inner workings of management than anyone else. There are actual management people here telling you otherwise.

There is no quota. None. Warning letters are not discussed in a vacuum. They may be used as a mechanism by some, which doesn't make it ok, but THERE IS NO QUOTA.

texan

See after all this time. I did not know you were a Steward.
Bless you. What a job. Trying to balance between both sides.
May you continue to do well.

I have no direct knowledge, but I just do not believe there is a quota.
It would not make sense to me.:weird:

tardus

In our building I actually saw a memo posted on the center's bulletin board from the division manager that said that the three lowest performing employees in each center were to be "targeted" each week. While there might not be a "quota" per se for warning letters, I would expect that this division manager expected to see interviews and warning letters given to three "targeted" employees chosen for the "honor" each week.

The important point here is that the division manager did not demand that those employees who were not meeting standards be "targeted" each week, but he demanded that the three lowest performing employees be "targeted," whether they were meeting standards or not.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
In our building I actually saw a memo posted on the center's bulletin board from the division manager that said that the three lowest performing employees in each center were to be "targeted" each week. While there might not be a "quota" per se for warning letters, I would expect that this division manager expected to see interviews and warning letters given to three "targeted" employees chosen for the "honor" each week.

The important point here is that the division manager did not demand that those employees who were not meeting standards be "targeted" each week, but he demanded that the three lowest performing employees be "targeted," whether they were meeting standards or not.

Could you shove any more assumptions into that 'assessment' of a sticky note? Lets slow down here and think about it logically.

1. Is it wrong to discover a problem, and decide to focus on it to fix the problem? Nope. That's how humans have solved problems for...um, ever?

2. Do you honestly think that LOW performers are meeting the goals? When managers are talking about 'lowest performers', they are talking about those who are showing up on reports for various reasons...UPS doesn't set their goals low. Low performers aren't meeting the standards.
We DO use language for various reasons when talking about people who may be making the goals, but just barely. Most places and managers refer to these individuals/departments/ops areas as "least best". If the goal is 50, we want to touch base with people who only ever make 50 when everyone else is 60 and above. There could be a small issue that could magnify if ignored.

3. You seem to have an issue with the usage of the word "target". It's a commonly used term in the numbers game that most upper management get to play. When all they do is crunch numbers on conference calls and compare them with goals and measures set by the company....they need to target their weak spots. And when you target a weak spot, it's because they were shooting for a certain number (the "target" goal) and didn't hit the target. So they need to target the lowest performers. It's not being used maliciously.

I think you may simply have over-analyzed what you saw. It was a note from the boss. That's it.

tardus

Could you shove any more assumptions into that 'assessment' of a sticky note? Lets slow down here and think about it logically.

1. Is it wrong to discover a problem, and decide to focus on it to fix the problem? Nope. That's how humans have solved problems for...um, ever?

2. Do you honestly think that LOW performers are meeting the goals? When managers are talking about 'lowest performers', they are talking about those who are showing up on reports for various reasons...UPS doesn't set their goals low. Low performers aren't meeting the standards.
We DO use language for various reasons when talking about people who may be making the goals, but just barely. Most places and managers refer to these individuals/departments/ops areas as "least best". If the goal is 50, we want to touch base with people who only ever make 50 when everyone else is 60 and above. There could be a small issue that could magnify if ignored.

3. You seem to have an issue with the usage of the word "target". It's a commonly used term in the numbers game that most upper management get to play. When all they do is crunch numbers on conference calls and compare them with goals and measures set by the company....they need to target their weak spots. And when you target a weak spot, it's because they were shooting for a certain number (the "target" goal) and didn't hit the target. So they need to target the lowest performers. It's not being used maliciously.

I think you may simply have over-analyzed what you saw. It was a note from the boss. That's it.

I respectfully disagree with LongTimeComing's benign assessment of a letter on stationery to each center from the division manager demanding a quota for three employees in each center to be targeted for discipline each week. It would really take a center manager with backbone not to comply with this directive by simply picking three employees each week and sending them a warning letter, whether they were meeting standards or not.

I will say that I considered it a matter of poetic justice when this particular division manager was himself "targeted" for retirement not long after this, during the redistricting.

Last edited: