Dot card

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Failed my DOT and got a 3 month card. Went to my regular doc several times, blood pressure always in range. My doc wrote a letter to the DOT doc and and I now have a 2 year card.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If medication will get your pressure down to the normal range, you will get a card, but it will not be a 2 year card.

Currently, about 50% of UPSers are working with some type of restricted DOT card. Most of those are for high BP. I used to be part of that 50%, but I lost some weight, exercise a little and eat just a little bit smarter and now my BP is in the 'healthy' range and I have a 2 year DOT card.

50% of your guys are restricted? Damn, that's one fat feeder department.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Good for you. I'm almost 50. I do everything I can to stay in shape, both exercise and diet. So far, so good.

But 50% overall? That's just bad for a job that requires constant physical activity. Feeders, yes, but everything else? Unless you have an underlying medical problem, that's just pathetic.

Packmule

Failed my DOT and got a 3 month card. Went to my regular doc several times, blood pressure always in range. My doc wrote a letter to the DOT doc and and I now have a 2 year card.
This what I'm going to suggest my regular doc do for me. At home now, I'm hitting as low as 113 over 69! In DOT exam I rocketed to 167/75. Finally dropped to 148/78 and got a one year card. Pure panic attack. I sympathize with the OP here!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good for you. I'm almost 50. I do everything I can to stay in shape, both exercise and diet. So far, so good.

But 50% overall? That's just bad for a job that requires constant physical activity. Feeders, yes, but everything else? Unless you have an underlying medical problem, that's just pathetic.

That number sounds awfully high to me.

30 to life

If they use a cuff that is to small for your arm it can give a high reading. It happen to me when a nurse took it and the Dr looked at the results they were sky high then he retook my blood pressure with a bigger cuff and it fell in the normal range.

UPSGUY72

I had a one month card. Than a 3 month card. I go back this month and she said I could get a 1 year card. Dam type 2 Diabetes. But I have dropped my A1c from 9.8 to 6.5 in the last 3 months and lost 20 lbs. Now I'm a lean mean fight machine just like I was when I was 20.

Packmule

I experience what I have and hear about all the struggles others are going through, then I see newbies walking around the parking lot in AM smoking one last cigarette before start time. These folks are going to get just enough years in they don't want to even think about starting over and DOT is gonna end it for them.
If you are a young driver and you smoke, quit now or regret it later big time.

barnyard

KTM rider

Yep. HIPPAA prevents a more formal survey, but from the nodding and questions I got after the PCM, I would say half the package guys in my bldg are on a restricted card because of high BP, many of them are younger than me.

There is a dealio/handout from Liberty on how to prepare for your DOT physical. It starts 6 weeks out. I followed it before my physical last week (not DOT, my regular, I just turned 50 physical.) My Doctor said that I am in much better shape than I was when I was 45.

I also take my BP once a week (we have a cuff in our break room). I do that, so that I know about what it should be, so that when I go into the Doctor's I won't be nervous, I know what it should be and all that. This visit, my BP was the lowest that it has ever been in the Doctor's office. It was also very close to where I have been when I check. I was not nervous, none of it.

barnyard

KTM rider
and the handout from Liberty did not have any tricks to pass. Basically started some more exercise than I was doing and eating just a little bit better than I was. It also suggested taking the day off for the physical (I was on vacation, so that was covered) and fasting before the physical, not just for the blood draw, but for the actual physical.

There are 3 others in my building on restricted cards that are following the recommendations to see if it does anything for them. 1 of them is taking his BP once a week and writing down what he gets so he is less nervous about it when he goes in.

I am really interested to see how it works out for the other 3.

BrownChoice

Why worry some may ask.

To them I say if you have a single thought of it turning out for the worse, you will get very anxious... Happened to me.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If they use a cuff that is to small for your arm it can give a high reading. It happen to me when a nurse took it and the Dr looked at the results they were sky high then he retook my blood pressure with a bigger cuff and it fell in the normal range.
Maybe the nurse was to hot for you !!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
That could get you a one-year DOT card depending upon what you take and how honest you are.
This is just my case now. I had problems with my BP at physical time, not so much at my family Dr. My dr gave me 4 or 5 sample packs of Lexapro to settle me down. It wasn't prescribed, and they don't test for that kind of drug as far as I know. I passed every time at DOT time. It was in my head. I also had a problem with the size of my cuff. They had one that was designed for a leg and it was ok, or you can ask them to take it the old fashioned way.

rod

Retired 22 years
My DOT doc wanted to give me a 1 year card when I got off meds to show a history of lowered BP. I take my BP regularly and write down the date and results. I showed them to him and he asked what time of day I took it and where I got the cuff. He said that if I came back in 2 years with high BP that UPS would complain about having given me a 2 year card so soon after quitting the meds.

The Doctors do have very specific guidelines to follow when issuing DOT cards. If they do not follow the guidelines, they could find themselves no longer doing DOT physicals.

Most of them would like that.