Dow Jones, pension funds, our savings

Dfigtree

The Dow Jones average can't go down below zero, can it?

Another question: what kind of damage is being do to the UPS pension funds?

And finally: what kind of damage is being done to our savings?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
These are scary times, thats for sure. I noticed a 25% loss in my mutual funds on my last statement, and I don't even want to look where my 401K is at right now. Most people don't realize how bad the current economic problems are. What really ticks me off is that our government looked the other way and let this happen. And I blame both parties. We have Chris Dodd and Barney Frank telling us Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are in good shape, and this happens. We don't have to worry though, because Congress will do an investigation on itself after the elections. We will get change alright, most of us will be working until we drop dead.

I've always tried to live within my means. The house I bought was only 150k and I financed it 30 yr fixed. My cars are paid for. I saw everyone else buying houses for 300k, interest only mortgages and taking out lines of credit to buy expensive cars. 5 years later, its all caught up to them. No more interest only mortgage payment and they are unable to sell the place. Now they are screwed. It's really all about living within your means.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
images
THIS IS THE TYPE OF MAN THAT COULD BRING US BACK !!!!!!!

BURMDPsupe

I've always tried to live within my means. The house I bought was only 150k and I financed it 30 yr fixed. My cars are paid for. I saw everyone else buying houses for 300k, interest only mortgages and taking out lines of credit to buy expensive cars. 5 years later, its all caught up to them. No more interest only mortgage payment and they are unable to sell the place. Now they are screwed. It's really all about living within your means.

Freeloader, I'm in the same boat as you; it pays to be fiscally frugal. The only thing I do worry about is the long term impact of this financial crisis with my 401K.

M-

gandydancer

We'll see if you still think so if "forclosure relief" passes and they end up owing less than you do at a lower rate of interest.

brownIEman

wasn't $700 million the first proposal that the Republicons defeated?

Another $150,000,000 of pork was added before the Republicons jumped aboard and passed it.

well, if we are going to go partisan on this and blame republicans, I am going to have to ask how the minority party can defeat a bill? Simple numbers, if all the democrats vote for a bill, and EVERY republican in the house votes against it, guess what? it passes.

newworker

well, if we are going to go partisan on this and blame republicans, I am going to have to ask how the minority party can defeat a bill? Simple numbers, if all the democrats vote for a bill, and EVERY republican in the house votes against it, guess what? it passes.

5 Democraps changed their vote from no to yes

59 Republicons changed their vote from no to yes

upsgrunt

Freeloader, I'm in the same boat as you; it pays to be fiscally frugal. The only thing I do worry about is the long term impact of this financial crisis with my 401K.

M-

We started referring to ours as a 201K now as it is worth about 1/2 of what it used to:sad-little:

tunemixer

And so much for Barney Fwanks rescue plan! That was a $700 million waste of our money.

Waste of our money? You mean Chinas money or some other country. You don't honestly think we have that money do you? Just like Obama saying hes' going to use the money we are funding the war with to help bail us out. Yeah Bullsh$t . That is also borrowed money from China. We are so deep in debt there is no sign of digging outin our lifeime. If you believe Obama is going to be our savior then I have a slightly used bridge to nowhere to sell you.
God help us if Obama gets elected and the Dems also take over congress. Kiss your sweet as$ goodbye.