Driving Positions - Have Questions

J

jelly_donuts

I found the following job announcement and had questions regarding the position. Is anyone familiar with this type of work? Do they hire entry level drivers for this? Anyone tell me how difficult it is to acquire a CDL license - matter of study the material and taking the test at the DMV? Thanks for the help.

Drivers

UPS is seeking heavy air freight truck drivers for its Cartage Services division - a new division that specializes in handling heavy air freight. In these positions, you will be respon sible for the safe operation of equipment to pickup, label, load unload, /or deliver heavy freight ship ments.

Ability to utilize wand equipment famil iarity with assorted freight handling tolls required. DRIVERS Must possess a HS diploma or equivalent exp, have a valid Class A CDL license with HazMat, safe driving record, DOT certified to op erate all types of commer cial vehicles excellent communication math skills. For more information, call: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm EST 888-316-3704 Must pass drug test background check. UPS is an equal opportunity employer.

Source - Indianapolis Star - Indianapolis, IN

J

jelly_donuts

What is required to acquire a CDL - need as much information in this area as possible. Thanks.

JD

O

over9five

For a Class A CDL, you need to get a learners permit from the registry. (With HazMat, Air brakes, Doubles/Triples endorsements). Get the book from the Registry to study first, you'll be glad you did!

You then need a friend with a tractor trailer to show you how to drive it, THEN let you borrow it to be road tested on by the State Police (at least here in Mass.)

O

over9five

Oh yeah, they have driving schools for this, but I hear they're expensive. But they'd have good equipment to learn on.

J

jelly_donuts

What is required for package car drivers? I assume that if you have a CDL - Class A, that covers all others?

P

parttimejon

i am a feeder driver and in my state outside hires are not allowed in feeders.Everyone coming into feeders comes from part time or package. You need a class A CDL with endorsments T.(doubles and triples) Air brakes and all that comes with the test. No hazmat endorsments. We dont haul enough hazmat to require having the endorsment. i was part time for 8 years.started when i was 18. never would have lasted if i had a family to support. This whole deal with outside hires, you would really really have to be close to someone high up in my opinion to get in this way. Cause its normally reserved for supervisors.

O

over9five

He is not talking about being a "regular" UPS feeder driver. The "new division" means something UPS will connect with Overnite or Logistics. It won't be a union job.

P

parttimejon

well...that sounds like a deal where your sort of winging it to me. they will be "new jobs" so i'm sure you wont make the same money or have the same benifits as us. but who knows. may be worth a shot.

P

proups

UPS Cartage is a subsidiary. From the looks of the ad, they are looking for tractor trailer drivers.

Go to your local DMV and they can tell you the requirements.

G

gregory

I need instructions for the IVIS. I made my first run 8/26/05 by myself. My supervisor said if you can do the DIAD you can do the IVIS. WRONG could not find SHIFT so missed that and recorded it as MEAL after the fact. I need INFO please as how to use the IVIS. THANKS.

T

teddyr

Or you can just go down to your local MVD and request the CDL study guides, study, take the test and receive your learners permit. You will probably have to attend a truck driving school, unless you have connections, to actually get your CDL. You need practice time to learn how to back, shift and turn these vehicles with trailers so when you go to take your CDL skills and driving test you are prepared. Its unfortunate you cannot do this through UPS because you would get more drive time in two weeks than you would in two months at a truck driving school, not to mention a much higher caliber of training.

T

teddyr

The IVIS takes practice and is not like the DIAD at all. I have only been in in feeders since 11/04, so I am not very proficient myself either. If you are talking about shifting on property, as in moving trailers, you have to initially hit activity, and when you are done you hit FDR, and when it asks you what activity you performed you scroll all the way down to "shifting hub location" or whatever your menu offers in terms of shifting.