Driving Simulator

HungryHan

Hello all! I've been creeping the site for a while now, and since I'm in the process of hiring, thought I would just ask a few questions that I have. Just wondering what to expect from the driving sim? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've applied to express here in Canada.

dezguy

Personally, I've never had to do it but from what I've heard from the newbs, :censored2: just pops out in front of you. Just relax, do the "speed limit" and keep a watchful eye.

fedx.drivr

I did it a few years back. It is really a joke. Picture a driving video game from 1987 or so. And D is right, just watch for pedestrians jumping out and cars cutting you off. No stress, it's quite easy.

STFXG

Show up with those drunk driving simulation glasses on. Tell them you want it to be as realistic as possible. We all know you Canadians put down a couple labatt blues at lunch

HungryHan

Just an update for you guys, did the simulation today. Went very well. Just waiting now to hear back from express for the next steps. Very simple the simulation, 6 scenarios lasting about a minute and a half or so.

dezguy

lol I've never heard about a driving simulator at Express.

So weird how low budget we are when hiring now. Is there even a courier school now?
I believe it's a Canada thing. All the newbs at my station had to do it.

Funny, up until a few years ago, when they needed to hire the manager just did some interviews and picked who he/she thought was the best of the bunch. Now, all hiring is done through HQ (I think. The managers have no say anymore), candidates have to do a phone interview, testing, driving simulator and in person interview and the quality of new hire is still pretty low.

Out of all the newbs they've hired in the past 3 years at my station, maybe one is decent at their job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just an update for you guys, did the simulation today. Went very well. Just waiting now to hear back from express for the next steps. Very simple the simulation, 6 scenarios lasting about a minute and a half or so.

I've made it my entire career without a chargeable accident, and it isn't the obvious stuff (like the simulator) that will bite you. Learn to look for cues on what other drivers are going to do, which is an acquired skill that takes years to learn.

The Smith System, which actually works, is the best professional driving advice you can get. FedEx was too cheap to keep paying the fees, so they call it something else now, but if you follow the 5 Keys you'll do fine.

dezguy

I've made it my entire career without a chargeable accident, and it isn't the obvious stuff (like the simulator) that will bite you. Learn to look for cues on what other drivers are going to do, which is an acquired skill that takes years to learn.

The Smith System, which actually works, is the best professional driving advice you can get. FedEx was too cheap to keep paying the fees, so they call it something else now, but if you follow the 5 Keys you'll do fine.
We're still using the Smith system up here. I have to watch that dumb video from the early 90's every year.

Purplepackage

This is so correct, people don't realize you need to be anticipating what the guy 4 cars ahead of you is going to do

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

We actually had an employee of The Smith System in my building a few week ago to teach defensive driving. I thought he was just another newbie when he asked me how I liked my Sprinter. Then the next day he told me a useless, but interesting fact he found out. He said a Sprinter has a 56 FT turning radius while a 700 has a 25 FT one. I believe it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We actually had an employee of The Smith System in my building a few week ago to teach defensive driving. I thought he was just another newbie when he asked me how I liked my Sprinter. Then the next day he told me a useless, but interesting fact he found out. He said a Sprinter has a 56 FT turning radius while a 700 has a 25 FT one. I believe it.

That is the worst thing about a sprinter
You need a field to turn one around