EEOC sues UPS for religious bias against bearded men

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
EEOC sues UPS for religious bias against bearded men - Reuters

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has sued United Parcel Service Inc, accusing the world's largest package delivery company of discriminating against male workers and job applicants who wore beards or long hair because of their religion.

In a complaint filed on Wednesday in the Brooklyn, New York, federal court, the EEOC said UPS has failed since at least 2004 to hire, promote and accommodate Muslim, Rastafarian, Christian and other men whose grooming practices it found objectionable.

The EEOC said the Atlanta-based company forbids male supervisors, as well as male employees including drivers who deal face-to-face with customers, from wearing beards or growing their hair below collar length.

It's a shame that the gov't gets involved in something like this. Aren't there bigger problems that this country has? However, if UPS has to comply, I am going have a few new religious beliefs. First, I won't be able to work on Monday's and Friday's; and second, I will have to wear socks that expose my ankles. Then I won't have to buy their stupid socks!!!! Also, I don't believe in overtime.