EEOC wins right to review UPS' no-beard policy nationally

tieguy

Banned
I think over has nailed it.

Sober, I also think it would be unreasonable to require an establishment that sells liquor, not to sell liquor, in order to placate an employee's religous beliefs.

ups believes the neat clean appearance of its drivers is every bit as important to its business as the liquor is to the tavern.

And I know we are asked to sign a paper to agree to the company's rules not to grow one. But we all agree to a lot of rules that the company imposes that we feel are unjust but we obey them anyway. Does that mean we do not fight to change them? Why do we negotiate contracts to begin with? All I am saying is let's renegotiate the no beard policy.

Our appearance guidelines have never been negotiated. Company has always reserved the right to set appearance guidelines as most companies do.

Dustyroads

If the company loses this case then the only thing you gain is the right to wear a beard for religious reasons.

UPS has made its reputation for a variety of reasons including appearance. Appearance allows our drivers in the front door of most businesses where employees from other trucking companies have to go in the back door or loading dock. Front door access is a big advantage to our business.

I know I don't think much of the scruffy looking dirt bags delivering fdx ground. For that reason I definitely don't think much of fdx ground.

Losing the case would not automatically allow everyone to have a beard.

Tie guy is completely right here. The case isn't about the right to wear beards because we like em or we look better with em. It's actually just about the guarantee of equal employment rights for people whose religion mandates that they not shave.

Interestingly, when I was hired as a driver in 1979, we had the same hair grooming standards for females that applied to the men. Women's hair could not touch their collar or be over their ears. It was strictly enforced when I hired on. Times change. But, I'm not holding my breath on the beard thing. It may happen, someday. When donkeys fly.