empire

rickyb

Just did quite a bit of research on Poland. They've resisted the EU's demands to take in Muslim refugees. Right wing government that has strong public support.
my grandma left poland after the nazis. its a :censored2:ed up country i think.

they just had some nazi march last year.

rickyb

It's a beautiful country with beautiful cities. They've had the misfortune of being overrun by many countries in their history.
isnt it eastern european though?

i thought i remember watching house hunters international and this house had sketchy looking stairs and my dad said something about a lack of building code or something like that.

vantexan

isnt it eastern european though?

i thought i remember watching house hunters international and this house had sketchy looking stairs and my dad said something about a lack of building code or something like that.
Poland has embraced capitalism, has very low unemployment, has high taxes but does give good services for those taxes. One of the better countries for train travel. The U.S. signed a bilateral agreement with Poland in 1991 that allows Americans to stay indefinitely in Poland. As it's pretty affordable my wife and I were considering moving there. But found out we would be subject to taxes on our worldwide income that would be pretty steep considering my pension. And the winters are harsh.

rickyb

Poland has embraced capitalism, has very low unemployment, has high taxes but does give good services for those taxes. One of the better countries for train travel. The U.S. signed a bilateral agreement with Poland in 1991 that allows Americans to stay indefinitely in Poland. As it's pretty affordable my wife and I were considering moving there. But found out we would be subject to taxes on our worldwide income that would be pretty steep considering my pension. And the winters are harsh.
yea i dont know too much about it, but im under the impression they have a lower standard of living than US, i may be wrong.

yea you still get taxed by US when you move abroad right?

vantexan

yea i dont know too much about it, but im under the impression they have a lower standard of living than US, i may be wrong.

yea you still get taxed by US when you move abroad right?
If you earn USD $103,000 or less overseas you don't have to pay U.S. income tax on it. Just on anything above that amount. But you still have to pay income tax to the country you live in. Overall Poland is a developing nation with a pretty high standard of living in the big cities, not so much in small places. I just spent 3.5 weeks in Lviv, Ukraine. Ukraine is much poorer than Poland but the standard of living in Lviv is pretty good. There are pockets of prosperity where one can live fine for half the costs of the U.S. or Canada. But you need to bring your income with you. My $22k pension in Ukraine is like having $50k in the U.S.. Maybe $40k if living in Poland.

rickyb

If you earn USD $103,000 or less overseas you don't have to pay U.S. income tax on it. Just on anything above that amount. But you still have to pay income tax to the country you live in. Overall Poland is a developing nation with a pretty high standard of living in the big cities, not so much in small places. I just spent 3.5 weeks in Lviv, Ukraine. Ukraine is much poorer than Poland but the standard of living in Lviv is pretty good. There are pockets of prosperity where one can live fine for half the costs of the U.S. or Canada. But you need to bring your income with you. My $22k pension in Ukraine is like having $50k in the U.S.. Maybe $40k if living in Poland.
nice!

the middle class is dead in canada because of housing in vancouver and toronto right now.

rickyb

but i thought i recall people renouncing their citizenship because they were being taxed abroad.

i used to work on a seasonal railway and some of the guys there were retired from the big railways with a pension and theyd go to thailand or south america.

rickyb

I honestly don't know how people pay those prices.
people are stupid. alot cant afford it.

my dad bought when he was in his 20s. i told him i dont want to buy because if i pay ferrari prices i want a ferrari not a yaris.

im holding out on property until after i finish school and move.

vantexan

but i thought i recall people renouncing their citizenship because they were being taxed abroad.

i used to work on a seasonal railway and some of the guys there were retired from the big railways with a pension and theyd go to thailand or south america.
You're thinking of millionaires from the U.S. moving overseas and renouncing their American citizenship to avoid taxes.