End of belt/roller (preload) tactics

QualityLoads

Hi im new to UPS going on my 4th week as a preloader. My first 2 days i loaded the 2nd-4th package cars. After that, the guy at the end of the belt had a back injury and ive been placed loading the last 3 trucks on the belt. I Also pull about 40 boxes and stack them at the end of the work area for a 4th truck that ive never seen. If i hold my own i will load these trucks for a good amount of time.

Ive noticed that working at the top of the belt and the end of the belt can be approached with different tactics in order to be efficient as possible. I prefer the end of the belt because im 5'11 225lbs and im not as quick as the others on the belt. Working at the end is easier for me because the packages are heavy but fewer come by. I've been able to handle any package that comes down the belt.

Stacking Bulk stops (usually RDCs) at the end of the rollers/work area has helped me with getting the drivers out in time.

I usually let a nice stack of my last truck to build up at the end of the belt, while i clean up my first two trucks.

For me stacking boxes right outside my trucks seems inevitable, but the sups curse me out whenever they see a stack of boxes (one driver says friend* them keep stacking). sups prefer that i only touch each package once.

Sometimes its hard for me to remember the bulk stop sequence number without looking at the load sheet.

I have a lot more time to sort inside my trucks since im at the end of the belt and its impossible for boxes to pass me by. Once i hear the sound of boxes falling off the belt, i know it is time to jump out. Sups dont like it when i let boxes fall off the belt.

What should i do with other peoples boxes that pass them and end up on my work area? Today we had a "weak loader at the top" (says my pt. sup) so i spent a significant amount of time getting other peoples boxes out of my area. ill just throw the box up the belt, but not every throw is perfect and the boxes end up in interesting places... tactics?

The end of the belt i work on happens to be where the managers hang out near their offices and it is also very near to the pedestrian entrance. So as you can imagine, im exposed to plenty of UPSers watching me do my thing. I feel like my area is "the show" for anyone who quickly wants to see some belt action. Since i have a lot of exposure Ive had plenty of comments such as. "these aint rookie trucks." "they must like the way you work if youre doing these trucks.". i also get a lot of "blame it on the rookie" moments from managers that pass by. I haven't reached seniority yet, and i want to make a good impression on the hub and my superiors. New hires have been moving up to driver positions in less than 2 years. Im pushing hard to make a good impression and work towards FT driver. any advice for me to work smarter and efficient is greatly appreciated.

BUCN85

I work at the end of the belt/rollers and load the mall and another route. And have to deal with damages and runbacks. It sucks. But oh well

"This is called the pre-LOAD not the pre-STACK"

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
First, screw the supervisors, work at your on pace and do it how you want to do it. Second, if they say anything to you, just say okay and keep doing what you are doing. I have never worked preload and never want too, however the time I spent in the building, I worked at my own pace, and if management didn't like it they could suck a fat one.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
First, screw the supervisors, work at your on pace and do it how you want to do it. Second, if they say anything to you, just say okay and keep doing what you are doing. I have never worked preload and never want too, however the time I spent in the building, I worked at my own pace, and if management didn't like it they could suck a fat one.

Completely disregard this advice until after you make seniority but once you "make the cut" then this would be the standard advice most hourly employees will give you. Good luck on your potential career with UPS.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Any side of the belt you are on that faces walkways or offices, you will be watched more by management...ask them if they'd like some popcorn...lol. Stacking a 50 piece bulk stop outside a truck is one thing...but constantly stacking because you can't keep up with the flow, or getting jammed to where boxes are falling off the belt means you need to pick up the pace.

I'm assuming there's no return belt at the end of your line? If you end up with other people's crap...make a pile to maintain egress. Do not throw packages in view of management...that's a great way to get the wrong kind of attention.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Completely disregard this advice until after you make seniority but once you "make the cut" then this would be the standard advice most hourly employees will give you. Good luck on your potential career with UPS.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Didn't think about that, thanks for adding that.

Marne Vet

Hi im new to UPS going on my 4th week as a preloader. My first 2 days i loaded the 2nd-4th package cars. After that, the guy at the end of the belt had a back injury and ive been placed loading the last 3 trucks on the belt. I Also pull about 40 boxes and stack them at the end of the work area for a 4th truck that ive never seen. If i hold my own i will load these trucks for a good amount of time.

Ive noticed that working at the top of the belt and the end of the belt can be approached with different tactics in order to be efficient as possible. I prefer the end of the belt because im 5'11 225lbs and im not as quick as the others on the belt. Working at the end is easier for me because the packages are heavy but fewer come by. I've been able to handle any package that comes down the belt.

Stacking Bulk stops (usually RDCs) at the end of the rollers/work area has helped me with getting the drivers out in time.

I usually let a nice stack of my last truck to build up at the end of the belt, while i clean up my first two trucks.

For me stacking boxes right outside my trucks seems inevitable, but the sups curse me out whenever they see a stack of boxes (one driver says friend* them keep stacking). sups prefer that i only touch each package once.

Sometimes its hard for me to remember the bulk stop sequence number without looking at the load sheet.

I have a lot more time to sort inside my trucks since im at the end of the belt and its impossible for boxes to pass me by. Once i hear the sound of boxes falling off the belt, i know it is time to jump out. Sups dont like it when i let boxes fall off the belt.

What should i do with other peoples boxes that pass them and end up on my work area? Today we had a "weak loader at the top" (says my pt. sup) so i spent a significant amount of time getting other peoples boxes out of my area. ill just throw the box up the belt, but not every throw is perfect and the boxes end up in interesting places... tactics?

The end of the belt i work on happens to be where the managers hang out near their offices and it is also very near to the pedestrian entrance. So as you can imagine, im exposed to plenty of UPSers watching me do my thing. I feel like my area is "the show" for anyone who quickly wants to see some belt action. Since i have a lot of exposure Ive had plenty of comments such as. "these aint rookie trucks." "they must like the way you work if youre doing these trucks.". i also get a lot of "blame it on the rookie" moments from managers that pass by. I haven't reached seniority yet, and i want to make a good impression on the hub and my superiors. New hires have been moving up to driver positions in less than 2 years. Im pushing hard to make a good impression and work towards FT driver. any advice for me to work smarter and efficient is greatly appreciated.

Talk to the drivers of the vehicles you're loading, and get to know where they want certain things. friend the sups you work for. They're useless. We're the guys that'll scream in your ear when you screw-up, or tell you "good job kid" when you make our day easier. It all starts with you. A good loader makes our day so much better. A bad one just pisses us off and gives us more unnecessary stress. Misloads happen, but if my loader is neat, and packs stuff tight and in the general vicinity of where it's suppose to go, I'll go out of my way to hit nearby misloads rather than send them in through the DIAD and tag him with it. I also tip my loader year 'round when I have a great week of no internal problems. When you toss crap on the floor label down and it weighs 150 lbs, and there was a spot under the shelf it could've fit neatly, then you're a dick and you're gonna hear about it. Your sups only care about perception. If the belt looks clean, then they've done their jobs. If you just throw stuff in our trucks to clear the belt, you're ruining our day. friend the sups. Those part-time morons have no clue what it's all about. They're too busy trying to kiss the guys ass ahead of them to move up the ladder of suck-cess. Take care of those drivers you load for. They depend on you more than they let on. Trust me.

mixyo

Dispatcher
I work at the end of the belt and load mall routes. What sucks the most is that all the dock's mis-sorts get sent to me. And of course, I'm the first person anybody sees when they walk by the dock - so I'm always getting interrupted by sups coming and talking to me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I work at the end of the belt and load mall routes. What sucks the most is that all the dock's mis-sorts get sent to me. And of course, I'm the first person anybody sees when they walk by the dock - so I'm always getting interrupted by sups coming and talking to me.
Turn up your ipod. What's a dock?

King0928

Talk to the drivers of the vehicles you're loading, and get to know where they want certain things. friend the sups you work for. They're useless. We're the guys that'll scream in your ear when you screw-up, or tell you "good job kid" when you make our day easier. It all starts with you. A good loader makes our day so much better. A bad one just pisses us off and gives us more unnecessary stress. Misloads happen, but if my loader is neat, and packs stuff tight and in the general vicinity of where it's suppose to go, I'll go out of my way to hit nearby misloads rather than send them in through the DIAD and tag him with it. I also tip my loader year 'round when I have a great week of no internal problems. When you toss crap on the floor label down and it weighs 150 lbs, and there was a spot under the shelf it could've fit neatly, then you're a dick and you're gonna hear about it. Your sups only care about perception. If the belt looks clean, then they've done their jobs. If you just throw stuff in our trucks to clear the belt, you're ruining our day. friend the sups. Those part-time morons have no clue what it's all about. They're too busy trying to kiss the guys ass ahead of them to move up the ladder of suck-cess. Take care of those drivers you load for. They depend on you more than they let on. Trust me.

Tomorrow will be my first day as a pre-loader. Thanks for the tips.