Endangered UPS_ers

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I get my workout in before work. After work I'm too beat, especially in the summer when the heat and humidity are in effect. It means getting up at 0400, but that's the way it goes. Like I said earlier, if you don't make it a priority, life will get in the way.

But your a wild man going around flailing your arms all the time. :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Who has any time after work to do ANYTHING when you have a family? I sit and read these posts in wonderment. After an hour commute TO work then 10 or more hours at work killing myself and then the commute home - to a family - kids, husband, etc.....chores and expectations.....who gets to go to the gym? Really?

I get my workout in before work. After work I'm too beat, especially in the summer when the heat and humidity are in effect. It means getting up at 0400, but that's the way it goes. Like I said earlier, if you don't make it a priority, life will get in the way.
Same here, get up early, get it done. Like my buddy Jones says, don't let life get in the way.

Bad Gas!

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but time, is flying. I mean, we get to work,pre/reload, jump in the pkg car, behind the desk, in front of the computer, or whatever the job, and before you know it, the day is over. The time we actually have for ourselves/families is minimal, and it, also passes quickly. This is our pace, day in and day out, throughout the year/years we work here. Sometimes we get to a point in our lives, where we look in the mirror and don't recognize the reflection that we see, or worse, wonder how we've aged so quickly.

As a husband and a father, I'd really like to have time, energy and a functioning body, to be able to do things that I wasn't able to do, with the people I love, in my working years, after I retire. This being said, I think this thread should serve as a reminder that working, here at UPS, is not the end all, but the road we must all travel, to the "promised land".

If we don't take care of our bodies and minds, starting at this very moment, our retirement may be a short lived, unpleasant, experience. Young and old UPS'ers take heed, let us not set our goals for retirement, but for beyond retirement.

I've noticed over the years, that my body has grown accustomed to the every day, hectic pace, at which we're expected to work. When I started at UPS, I'd lose and gain weight, daily. Today I do the same, except for the fact that some of the weight is staying around. This means that my body is now used to the routine. Now I find, in order to maintain the body shape and activity level I desire, I need to supplement my UPS routine, with something above and beyond this particular activity level.

For a better understanding of this, you may notice that the thin young man/woman, that started several years ago, may have developed a slight tummy, bigger thighs, or a not so pleasing butt, that just doesn't seem to go away. This is where, supplementing your routine, comes into play, If you want to have a better life after, you no longer wear brown.

This activity shouldn't stop with our bodies, but continue on to our minds. I know that many here at the Cafe, read lots of books, go to the/rent movies, and find many things that stimulate the mind. This is great and really gives the mind/brain a good workout.

I just wanted to post this as a reminder, that we control a vast majority of how our minds and bodies grow old. Let's take this responsibility with all seriousness and stay healthy, so that we'll be around long after retirement. Just something I've been thinking about, and figured would be good to share

Bad Gas!

I had to change my diet.

I had to cut out athletics from my personal life.

I had to change my work routine just so I can hold down this job.

This job is wearing my body out. I do not run anymore.

I take all of my vacations and all of my option days just to give my body the time off to keep on keeping on.

We have these drivers being laid off and now would be a great time to let us have extra time off. Some centers do it, sadly many do not.

I feel ya Braveheart.I used to work half my vaca days and opt days..Not anymore.We are maxed out every day of the year now but not on paper..

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Diet and exercise goes a long way. If you don't partake in meaningful exercise and a balanced diet, you likely will not last long into your senior years.

My grandfather is a living example and going on 94 years old in July. The man has literally seen and done everything, been to war, car crashes, hernia surgery 20 years ago...he has maintanied amazing diet throughout his life and lives by his words "always keep moving". He still works 4 + hours a day around the house and in the yard.

It was 8 hours a day until he was 92, but now he's slowing down some. :surprised:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Who has any time after work to do ANYTHING when you have a family? I sit and read these posts in wonderment. After an hour commute TO work then 10 or more hours at work killing myself and then the commute home - to a family - kids, husband, etc.....chores and expectations.....who gets to go to the gym? Really?
Your down time is very important but the time you spend "reading these posts" could be used.

helenofcalifornia

I totally agree with Veruca. While I do not have a two hour commute to and from work, the reality of coming home to HOUSEwork is very true. And for the most part, it's me who sees what needs to be done while others step over or around it. And get up an hour earlier to go to the gym? An hour's more sleep is a higher priority.

STUG, great post, well thought out and written, but I find a gender bias. In the perfect world if household chores were evenly divided, this would work well. And this idea would be intact also if we had 9 hour days. I worked 12 hours yesterday, it's 7:20 a.m., and I am so tired I am contemplating giving up a days pay for a days rest. The life of a UPSer. JMHO

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I totally agree with Veruca. While I do not have a two hour commute to and from work, the reality of coming home to HOUSEwork is very true. And for the most part, it's me who sees what needs to be done while others step over or around it. And get up an hour earlier to go to the gym? An hour's more sleep is a higher priority.

STUG, great post, well thought out and written, but I find a gender bias. In the perfect world if household chores were evenly divided, this would work well. And this idea would be intact also if we had 9 hour days. I worked 12 hours yesterday, it's 7:20 a.m., and I am so tired I am contemplating giving up a days pay for a days rest. The life of a UPSer. JMHO
Sorry to hear that, Helen. I don't think I live in a perfect world, but we do split all the household chores 50/50. That means I do laundry, wash dishes and cook dinner every other night. My wife works out more than I do, so we're on the same page as far as that goes.
I agree that the long days don't make it easy, I worked 11 hours yesterday and had to drag myself to the gym this morning, I couldn't do it without coffee:happy2:. Times like these I think how much easier my workouts would be if I worked a non-physical job, but it's too late now. Like you said, life of a UPSer.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Sorry to hear that, Helen. I don't think I live in a perfect world, but we do split all the household chores 50/50. That means I do laundry, wash dishes and cook dinner every other night. My wife works out more than I do, so we're on the same page as far as that goes.
I agree that the long days don't make it easy, I worked 11 hours yesterday and had to drag myself to the gym this morning, I couldn't do it without coffee:happy2:. Times like these I think how much easier my workouts would be if I worked a non-physical job, but it's too late now. Like you said, life of a UPSer.
These are, both, very good posts, and show exactly the feeling that I'm talking about. I should clarify things about myself. I workout extremely hard. I bike 10 miles to the gym, run between 3.5 and 8 miles, and then I workout with weights. After this, I bike 2 more miles to work, do my "fair days work", and ride 13 miles back to my house. I'm more, trying to be an athlete, than maintaining my health.

Obviously this workout is not for everyone, but we all need to do something to slow down the aging process. This means, JMHO, doing something that is above and beyond our daily grueling activities, since those activities have now become the norm. Like Sleeve's grandfather says, "always keep moving". This doesn't mean that we don't get down time, it means that he has figured out what it takes to keep that body fit and active.

I think that there are moments in everyone's life that can be used for this benefit, even if you have a 2 hour commute. Whether we use that time or not, is the question. This all being said, I seriously need to help out more around the house.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
These are, both, very good posts, and show exactly the feeling that I'm talking about. I should clarify things about myself. I workout extremely hard. I bike 10 miles to the gym, run between 3.5 and 8 miles, and then I workout with weights. After this, I bike 2 more miles to work, do my "fair days work", and ride 13 miles back to my house. I'm more, trying to be an athlete, than maintaining my health.

This all being said, I seriously need to help out more around the house.:wink2:
OMG Steven, you have entirely to much energy! LOL

And when you get that new house, just make it a new HABIT.:surprised:

ups1990

Obviously this workout is not for everyone, but we all need to do something to slow down the aging process. This means, JMHO, doing something that is above and beyond our daily grueling activities, since those activities have now become the norm. Like Sleeve's grandfather says, "always keep moving". This doesn't mean that we don't get down time, it means that he has figured out what it takes to keep that body fit and active.

I think that there are moments in everyone's life that can be used for this benefit, even if you have a 2 hour commute. Whether we use that time or not, is the question. This all being said, I seriously need to help out more around the house.:wink2:
He's been know to run two routes in one day. He's the most exciting man in the world.

bigblu 2 you

he once threw a no hitter from 2nd base,he was banned from the nfl for hitting too hard. and once he bowled a 300 game with a golf ball. yes, he's the most interesting man in the world.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nice! I'm not saying that what I do is for everyone. I'm just stating, what I do, to keep me, in shape. This thread isn't about me, but more about us, and what we're doing, and should be doing, so we don't drop dead shortly after retirement.

P

pickup

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but time, is flying. I mean, we get to work,pre/reload, jump in the pkg car, behind the desk, in front of the computer, or whatever the job, and before you know it, the day is over. The time we actually have for ourselves/families is minimal, and it, also passes quickly. This is our pace, day in and day out, throughout the year/years we work here. Sometimes we get to a point in our lives, where we look in the mirror and don't recognize the reflection that we see, or worse, wonder how we've aged so quickly.

As a husband and a father, I'd really like to have time, energy and a functioning body, to be able to do things that I wasn't able to do, with the people I love, in my working years, after I retire. This being said, I think this thread should serve as a reminder that working, here at UPS, is not the end all, but the road we must all travel, to the "promised land".

If we don't take care of our bodies and minds, starting at this very moment, our retirement may be a short lived, unpleasant, experience. Young and old UPS'ers take heed, let us not set our goals for retirement, but for beyond retirement.

I've noticed over the years, that my body has grown accustomed to the every day, hectic pace, at which we're expected to work. When I started at UPS, I'd lose and gain weight, daily. Today I do the same, except for the fact that some of the weight is staying around. This means that my body is now used to the routine. Now I find, in order to maintain the body shape and activity level I desire, I need to supplement my UPS routine, with something above and beyond this particular activity level.

For a better understanding of this, you may notice that the thin young man/woman, that started several years ago, may have developed a slight tummy, bigger thighs, or a not so pleasing butt, that just doesn't seem to go away. This is where, supplementing your routine, comes into play, If you want to have a better life after, you no longer wear brown.

This activity shouldn't stop with our bodies, but continue on to our minds. I know that many here at the Cafe, read lots of books, go to the/rent movies, and find many things that stimulate the mind. This is great and really gives the mind/brain a good workout.

I just wanted to post this as a reminder, that we control a vast majority of how our minds and bodies grow old. Let's take this responsibility with all seriousness and stay healthy, so that we'll be around long after retirement. Just something I've been thinking about, and figured would be good to share

and that's ONE TO GROW ON! (nothing but television references for you for now on). Good post. Puts a lot in perspective.

PTSUPLEC

jennie

Diet and exercise goes a long way. If you don't partake in meaningful exercise and a balanced diet, you likely will not last long into your senior years.

My grandfather is a living example and going on 94 years old in July. The man has literally seen and done everything, been to war, car crashes, hernia surgery 20 years ago...he has maintanied amazing diet throughout his life and lives by his words "always keep moving". He still works 4 + hours a day around the house and in the yard.

It was 8 hours a day until he was 92, but now he's slowing down some. :surprised:

WOW 94, thats awesome. You have to do some form of workout. I forget where I heard it, maybe a commercial "you rest, you rust" I just keep that in my mind.

PTSUPLEC

Great insite, good advice. I recently lost my job as UPS because my position was being eliminated. I was the only pt sup, so they have passed my job duties onto the only other person in my center who is the Manager, he they passed my duties onto others inside that center and then onto others in another center. Getting back to your comments. Within the past year our drivers have been working way longer hours, their routes have been changed, they've eliminated routes, and basically the drivers are getting hurt, and tired, and they just can't take it any longer. My heart went out to them on a daily basis. Their children are going to be all grown up, and they missed the most important part life, all because dads and moms didn't get home for dinner, or their baseball game. It is sad, and not just happening at UPS. But, cutting routes, changing plans, and pushing people to far has got to stop. Here in northern california there are way too many bean counters, and those beans need to rehumanized. Take Care. XUPSer, not by choice, but by the reduction in work, referred to as "position elimination"