Express Boxes for Ground shipments

mixyo

Dispatcher
I noticed on the UPS Express boxes, it says: "Do not use this box for: UPS Ground, UPS Standard, UPS 3 Day Select" yet as a preloader I always see these boxes being used for regular ground shipments. So what's the deal? Does UPS not enforce these rules?

I noticed on the UPS Express boxes, it says: "Do not use this box for: UPS Ground, UPS Standard, UPS 3 Day Select" yet as a preloader I always see these boxes being used for regular ground shipments. So what's the deal? Does UPS not enforce these rules?
Ill take the package.no matter what other companies logos that are on it.!!Just have the box taped up....have a good label on it,......Thankyou for choosing..UPS and have a great day!!!!

UPSGUY72

It doesn't matter anymore what box or envelope people use to ship stuff through UPS. In the past that was the case not anymore a box is a box the label does all the talking anyways....

We are not the Post Office....

PT Car Washer

Are you kidding? I see DHL, Fed Ex boxes everyday. Well maybe not DHL anymore. I have even told customers "we don't care what is on the outside of the box, just the shipping label."

opie

One time I used a USPS express envelope and put a priority mail label on it. It was returned to me.:biting:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They're misusing the envelopes. We send those shipping materials for free to anyone with a shipper's account# who requests it so we want them to use it, we just ask them to limit it, however we wouldn't risk losing the shipping business by giving them a hard time about how they're using what we sent them. On one route I cover, I regularly pickup 60+ air envelopes with ground labels on them but I would never say a word because they fill a feeder full of stuff everyday. Bottom line, who cares.

upswife75

I work for a shipping store and we never use the envelopes for anything other than what they are intended, though if someone brings in a prepaid in one, that's on them and their account. Yes, USPS will definitely send it back if it is in the wrong type of packaging (ie, first class stuck in a priority box, etc.). They give those boxes away with the intent that you will use them for that purpose. People constantly try to get around it. The flat rate boxes are usually a rip off unless it is heavy. Also, don't know who the idiots were that restructured their last rate increases, but I have run across quite a few that cost the same exact amount for priority as it is for first class. No wonder USPS is in such a financial state.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Packaging doesn't matter as long as they pay the bill.

To us, no. We're not the package police.

But the cost of the box is included in the air service. If the consumer isn't paying for air service, then they're not paying for the box. UPS obviously isn't the USPS, which automatically charges the receiver for the shipper's misuse of air packaging, but I'm certain if shippers request air boxes but don't ship air, UPS cuts them off eventually.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

To us, no. We're not the package police.

But the cost of the box is included in the air service. If the consumer isn't paying for air service, then they're not paying for the box. UPS obviously isn't the USPS, which automatically charges the receiver for the shipper's misuse of air packaging, but I'm certain if shippers request air boxes but don't ship air, UPS cuts them off eventually.

If they are a high volume shipper, no UPS will not. I have a place that may ship out 600 packages in express/air boxes, with 70% of em being ground. Seeing as how the cost UPS bills the customer for the cost of the packaging is probably greater than the cost to UPS for having the boxes made, it would make little financial sense to quibble over this. That would be a textbook case of penny-wise, pound-foolish. Consider the shipping supplies to such shippers as a "thank you" from UPS for shipping so much, and generating so much volume.

PT Car Washer

If they are a high volume shipper, no UPS will not. I have a place that may ship out 600 packages in express/air boxes, with 70% of em being ground. Seeing as how the cost UPS bills the customer for the cost of the packaging is probably greater than the cost to UPS for having the boxes made, it would make little financial sense to quibble over this. That would be a textbook case of penny-wise, pound-foolish. Consider the shipping supplies to such shippers as a "thank you" from UPS for shipping so much, and generating so much volume.

Picked up 263 air letters at a large Insurance company tonight. Most NDA and 2DA. About 50 or so were ground labels.

Nimnim

The Nim
Packaging doesn't matter as long as they pay the bill.

Almost, at least my understanding with the experiences I've seen inside the hub, if a box has certain things on it, they cannot be loaded into the air cans for air service even if the contents are not restricted. As far as standard shipping containers provided by any shipper then you're 100% as I've experienced. It's good since it won't have anything on it to get flagged for a check and rebox.