Express guy asked me

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
So I pick up every day at a major German auto manufacturer parts distribution facility.

The express driver is a trailer, and I am assuming he has been around a very long time because he is my age. He came to me yesterday and asked me what I knew about the merger.

What I told him has everything that I’ve kind of been reading on here, all he could tell me was the closer you are to the airport the safer your job is.

And from what I have read here anyone doing first overnight is basically safe.

He said he might retire in about two years or quicker depending on what happens. So that’s the report from metro Chicago.

I’d also like to report they have been using rentals the entire time I have been here, there is not one new FedEx express vehicle in service in my area for almost 3 years.

MassWineGuy

Vehicle situation is dreadful at my station. Sometimes I have to wait an hour for someone coming off the road so I can use theirs.

We’re very close to the airport, for whatever that may be worth.

zeev

There are Ground facilities right next to airports, it’s just the last mile that matters. A last mile box is a last mile box whether it got there by plane truck or horse buggy.

MAKAVELI

There are Ground facilities right next to airports, it’s just the last mile that matters. A last mile box is a last mile box whether it got there by plane truck or horse buggy.
I don't think it's as simple as that. If that were the case, they'd simply outsource everything to Uber and other gig delivery services.

MAKAVELI

Uber is gonna deliver furniture, trampolines, and Chewy not.
Just like Ground is going to del FO, P1, SO, E2, Express Saver, Ground, Ground pickups, Express Reg and OnCall pickups, get Express freight back to station for CTV pulls, DG, International and paperwork, etc. Not.....

zeev

Pull that Express driver out of the seat put a Ground driver in there ,drive truck pickups and delivery done.

MAKAVELI

Pull that Express driver out of the seat put a Ground driver in there ,drive truck pickups and delivery done.
They won't be doing the job of a UPSer for a quarter of the pay. If you think that this scheme will work, you must be smoking some Cali Chronic.

bbsam

Staff member
When's the last time you called an Uber?
Texted a guy who used to drive for them. Apparently they’re still fairly active around here. I’d look into using some of them for early commits. Cheaper than putting on more routes.

MAKAVELI

Texted a guy who used to drive for them. Apparently they’re still fairly active around here. I’d look into using some of them for early commits. Cheaper than putting on more routes.
They are notoriously late. You won't be making any commit times with them. Besides your employer, FedEx, won't be allowing you to use another contractor to del their freight. 😂

SmithBarney

Yes but that doesn't fit the "one truck one area" motto.. eventually i see them more like UPS.. but ground routes will get smaller footprints with P1 just like UPS does.

SmithBarney

Last mile is great.. except the pesky commit times. Sure you could throw express packages in and do it, but add the commits it becomes a different animal.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yes but that doesn't fit the "one truck one area" motto.. eventually i see them more like UPS.. but ground routes will get smaller footprints with P1 just like UPS does.
Well that's the way it's supposed to work but knowing FedEx, they'll try squeezing the blood out of the turnip and balk at that idea. They're too gnikcuf cheap to do it any other way.

bbsam

Staff member
They are notoriously late. You won't be making any commit times with them. Besides your employer, FedEx, won't be allowing you to use another contractor to del their freight. 😂
A matter of paperwork. Simply sign the Uber driver up as an AVP driver.

bacha29

Well that's the way it's supposed to work but knowing FedEx, they'll try squeezing the blood out of the turnip and balk at that idea. They're too gnikcuf cheap to do it any other way.
When people asked me what the difference was between UPS and Ground was answer was always: 'There's cheap and then there's economical....And right now we're just cheap".
In an attempt at restructuring the poorest setup in the history of wheeled transportation and still remain nonunion they're turning a chaotic mess into an impossible situation.