Extra drivers ??

Paycheck

I have noticed that the same people who take numerous days off(without paid) and break the contrat, are the same ones who have personal or vactions days saved for the week of the 4th of July or the week of Thanksgiving and insist that the contrat is followed so that they can have the days off. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

Bad Gas!

There is another option on these paid or unpaid days off...If you are in good with your OMS's...aka the girls in the office at night..Well, they can code your day off as a 26 which is a unpaid scheduled day off even if your sup put you in as a code 39-which is a opt 3 day..I had it happen this week..Your sup never sees your check to see if you got paid that day..They are way too busy for that...The key is tobe in good with the close-out OMS's..Bring em food at night once in awhile..

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have noticed that the same people who take numerous days off(without paid) and break the contrat, are the same ones who have personal or vactions days saved for the week of the 4th of July or the week of Thanksgiving and insist that the contrat is followed so that they can have the days off. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too.
How is taking a day off when the center has extra drivers breaking the contract?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How is taking a day off when the center has extra drivers breaking the contract?

Jones is right--this is not breaking the contract--but if days off are given in seniority order and the same guys who take a ton of dead days are then given a paid day off over someone who rarely if ever takes dead days then I do have a problem with that.

This is why I think that if you have days on the books you should have to use them before you can take dead days.

cino321

I used to go home a good 10-15 times a year without pay for years. Then our pension credit hours went from 1600 to 1800,so I reduced that to 5-6 times. Now we've been told they went from 1800 to 2040 so now I'll reduce that to once or twice unless I'm truly sick.
The down side is not being able to let your body catch a break every now and then. But the upside is now they will have to find work for all the lower seniority cover drivers and they can get their hours too! Or maybe these jackwads in upper management will stop over dispatching and put the much needed split routes back in like they should be. Either way,the forecast for 2012 is a lot more $$$ in my pocket. Thanks jackwads.

This practice is very frowned upon in my local.

When you go home the company doesn't contribute to the pension and health & welfare funds. When you burn a day, OPH or sick, they do.

Personally I get offended when they ask. Why would I want a day off when I already came to work? I take my days off when they are convenient for me, not when the company cut routes and over dispatched everyone, all of a sudden they're over.

GolfCart

There is another option on these paid or unpaid days off...If you are in good with your OMS's...aka the girls in the office at night..Well, they can code your day off as a 26 which is a unpaid scheduled day off even if your sup put you in as a code 39-which is a opt 3 day..I had it happen this week..Your sup never sees your check to see if you got paid that day..They are way too busy for that...The key is tobe in good with the close-out OMS's..Bring em food at night once in awhile..

Not at my center , my boss looks at everything !!! My boss said EVEN if you use your 7 sick days , there are NO more days off ever , no dead days , nothing . They are playing hardball at my center . maybe we should have like 8 drivers call in to show him how imporant cover drivers are . Driving into work , then going home is no big deal to me , I like the dead days . Its kinda nice to be surprised and asked " Hey , you want to go home today !! " 3 day weekend sounds NICE !!! But different strokes for different folks , the guys above me never go home , I ALWAYS go home , always .......... but not no more

Re-Raise

Some people are lazy and allergic to money.

iruhnman630

I believe we have a past practice grievance hearing scheduled for this week.

Many of our drivers, both high and low seniority, are not real happy about having this taken away, but it is all legit.

I expect to have a few less of my beloved 'turn-around-and-go-home' days, but will be bounced around the other two centers in my building the next few months as drivers below me in those centers get sent home instead.