Eye in the Sky

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If he / she were given an aerial photo (satellite image) there was no package car there. The satellite images are the same as would be seen on Bing or Google. Nothing more.

Long ago, UPS invested in a hotel (in Boston). I think it was a Marriott. I don't know if UPS still owns it or not.

UPS also invested in a Satellite. If UPS still has that, there are no UPS activity on it.

P-Man
I wonder if I'll get a deal when I go there to run the Boston Marathon next year?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Maybe not an hour....
This post reminds me of this guy.

184791318_1c936e38da.jpg

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
"Since the telematics unit is stationary in the vehicle, it can only record the vehicle location, not the package, the driver or the DIAD location."

>>WRONG! I have had 2 negative driver follow ups in the last 4 months. Both times they have used the GPS and overlayed google maps. It shows where you scaned the package AND where you stop compleated it.

Pretty cool if you ask me, both times showed me in the driveway at the correct addy and I never once heard a word from my on-car about the neg. follow ups.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
"Since the telematics unit is stationary in the vehicle, it can only record the vehicle location, not the package, the driver or the DIAD location."

>>WRONG! I have had 2 negative driver follow ups in the last 4 months. Both times they have used the GPS and overlayed google maps. It shows where you scaned the package AND where you stop compleated it.

Pretty cool if you ask me, both times showed me in the driveway at the correct addy and I never once heard a word from my on-car about the neg. follow ups.
Not wrong! Telematics is in the pkg car, GPS is in the DIAD, that's what tracked you. Oh, and stop leaving pkgs where crooks can find em.:wink2:

A couple of years ago I had a DFU on a package delivered by another cover driver. The photo printout showed three little squares with Xs in them, the sup told me they represented where the diad was at the scan, at DR and stop complete. I can only guess this is done by long & lat as previously stated. The photo showed these Xs in a vacant lot two blocks away from the actual house. I know that the other cover driver may not have known where the house was (no addresses on that block), however I am pretty sure he didn't leave the package in a vacant lot and call it DR SD. I don't know what the problem was with gps, diad, or whatever, but the data that UPS was going on was WRONG.
Our center still doesn't have telematics, so that isn't to blame.

brownboxman

Thanks for the help folks, it surely makes sense that there would not be real time survailence. The driver must of saw a vehicle and imdediatly thought package car. the point remains the days of feeling like we were at all independant while out on the road are gone, I guess that is the price we pay for top notch pay and bene's.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
You'd be supprised at the "errrors" in the GPS tracking the first few weeks of telematics rollout. Seems to be a lot of stops completed at 10:29 am right in the middle of the road. For some reason they go away. Maybe it takes a while for the GPS to start working right....

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You'd be supprised at the "errrors" in the GPS tracking the first few weeks of telematics rollout. Seems to be a lot of stops completed at 10:29 am right in the middle of the road. For some reason they go away. Maybe it takes a while for the GPS to start working right....

A trick we we're all taught by our On-road Supes.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I believe the term that UPS uses for this is "Smart Stop". I had a Cover Driver run my route and he DRed a package that had an incorrect house number on it. When I came back from vacation, the consignee called me and said he needed the package badly. He had done some work for me and happened to have my cell number. I had an LP person run the tracking number and it showed exactly where he DRed it. Fortunately, the house was empty and the package was left out of the weather, so it was recovered. The arrow in the photo showed the door it was left at.