Fair Tax Talk here

1timepu

Back up a couple of posts and you will see this is what I have been saying...

Someone else brought up deductions and I objected...

I am 100% for a Flat Rate Federal Sales Tax that ALL must pay... Citizens, non citizen vacationers, children, elderly, prostitutes, drug dealers, terrorists...

I do believe in addition we need local taxes on property and vehicles because that is what supports local government. Someone in Washington should not decide how money is spent in Boise Idaho for police and roads. If you do it based on population then how do you figure in major interstates that are fequently traveled in that state? Increases in crime? Plus we do not need Federal Government threatening to cut funds if a state does not do as they are told. Example is Seatbelt laws, any state without a manditory seatbelt law will not get highway funds. I am not against seatbelt laws but I am against bullying - Do this or loose this...

Money for towns and state would not leave before it was sent to Washington, under the Current system most of the money is comming from Washington, plus under the current system, Medicare, Social security, medicaid are all going to go bankrupt, under the Fair Tax everything is funded %100, and %23 is a worst case scenario, it more likely to be %15

1timepu

This thread is a bit offtopic but I do support fairtax or at least some form of tax reform. There will always be a way to cheat the tax system, with this Fairtax it looks like a black/underground market will be the way to cheat.

It would have to be a Black market of NEW goods because that is the only thing that is taxed, And that would be pretty hard to pull off unless you steal it of the shelves

1timepu

This thread is a bit offtopic but I do support fairtax or at least some form of tax reform. There will always be a way to cheat the tax system, with this Fairtax it looks like a black/underground market will be the way to cheat.

Also it is not off thread since everybody here is worried about MONEY, this will save you a heck of alot more money than any raise from UPS

LKLND3380

Come on now tell your parents that one when you where a kid, did you have any siblings??It is not a matter of getting a job to support them most Americans do that, expect the ones on welfare, but there is NO TAXES on clothes and FOOD at the FOODSTORE, it is illegal to tax these items they arent even taxed under this current system, so to not break the LAW the new system cant tax these other, so what are you saying?? Behind your theaory nobody would have Kids and this country would go down the tubes!

Everyone has a right to have as many kids as they want BUT they must support their children... If people are on welfare then they are getting state or federal aid... Tax dollars are supporting them and under a flat rate with NO EXEMPTIONs they are also paying taxes when they spend money... If you can't get by with your current income structure to support a family of 4 then you get a second job... I would like to get Hummer but it is out of my price range.

Illegal to tax clothes? We have tax free holidays that last a week where clothes are not taxed just before before school starts. Soft drinks and fruit punch are taxed at the foodstore...

Behind my theory there are no tax breaks - there are no exemptions... You take home 100% of what you make...

YOU SPEND MONEY - YOU PAY FEDERAL SALES TAX

No hidden exemptions or rules... Maybe if I buy a Hummer I should get a tax break because it gets poor gas mileage?

upsgrunt

Everyone has a right to have as many kids as they want BUT they must support their children... If people are on welfare then they are getting state or federal aid... Tax dollars are supporting them and under a flat rate with NO EXEMPTIONs they are also paying taxes when they spend money... If you can't get by with your current income structure to support a family of 4 then you get a second job... I would like to get Hummer but it is out of my price range.

Illegal to tax clothes? We have tax free holidays that last a week where clothes are not taxed just before before school starts. Soft drinks and fruit punch are taxed at the foodstore...

Behind my theory there are no tax breaks - there are no exemptions... You take home 100% of what you make...

No hidden exemptions or rules... Maybe if I buy a Hummer I should get a tax break because it gets poor gas mileage?

Or if you "get a Hummer" you save money and be just a happy!

1timepu

Do you know anything about taxes, you cant tax the necessities, this mean Milk, bread, food you need to sustain yourself not Fruit juice, the same go with clothes the necessities this doesnt mean a fur coat, you do take home your whole check under the Fair Tax, you adn I dont pay tax on the necesseties that i Mentioned, it is illegal, it is not an exemtion, but a credit ....like I said a family a 4 will but more milk than you, so why should they be taxed on something that you are not???

Damok

I'll say it again... I love the idea of tax reform and I dig the Fair tax. My only concern is the amount of time it will take for companies to do away with embedded taxes and if they will ever go away completely. I understand the nature of free markets and competition but I also understand corporate greed. The cynic in me just finds it very difficult to wrap my head around the idea of embedded taxes going away in a reasonable amount of time. Competition is great but I feel it will work sloooooooowly in this case. However, I could certainly live with it if the only alternative was keeping the tax system as it is.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH UPS? You have a political agenda and should be posting elswhere............!
The name of the thread is the fair tax, anyone who works should be interested. Maybe you think the post should be moved, but til it is I will post here, if thats Ok.
How is it a political agenda, I think Republicans and Democrats like to keep their money, the difference being the democrats in the government like to find ways to take mine and yours, and be the ones to give it out to someone who could care less about fair tax, as right now they dont have to worry about any taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1timepu

Again LKLND why should a family of 4 who makes the same money as you pay more taxes???? Nobody pays taxes on neccesities, therefore you get a credit, it is NOT a DEDUCTION! Everything under the Fairtax is taxed no exemptions. Including neccesities, but you get you tax money back for that cus like I said it is illegal to tax them. Now why no exemptions from Tax you ask?? This will eliminate over half of the lobbyist in Washington. If there is no exptions then one part of the industry cant take advantage of it, there for no lobbyist. And this is not off topic considering that the Contract is about money and and wanting more, I have explained to everybody I meet to do this instead of asking the company for more money, If I could take home all of my money on a 40hr workweek I would take home about 1,200, if any overtime I would look at 1,500 with just 5hrs overtime I am more than happy with that!

LKLND3380

Again LKLND why should a family of 4 who makes the same money as you pay more taxes????

No one would pay more taxes as it is a FLAT RATE... If a single person spends $20,000 a year and a family of 4 spends $20,000 they pay the same amount in taxes... If a Church, Donald Trump and Britney Spears each spend $20,000 they would pay the same as the single person or the family of 4 as well...

Now a single person with few obligations is more likely to spend more money on leasure. A family of 4 is more likely to spend money on necessities...

A single person is more likely to have a single income while a family of 4 may have a dual income from both parents....

A family of 4 may buy a used car and then pay no tax as it is used...
A single person is more likely to buy a new sporter car for $20,000...
Then you have someone like Britney who may buy a car for $50,000...
Based on the above, who is paying more in taxes? Britney is since she has the most disposable income.

steeltoe

I believe there should be a flat rate Federal Sales Tax to do away with Income taxes.. I don't believe ANYONE should be EXEMPT from the Federal Sales Tax size of family or income...

EVERYONE should pay the same and that is how you eliminate the corruption... Look how people try to scam the current EXEMPT status.

A Flate rate for ALL to pay is the only solution so that everyone pays the same reguardless of age or income. 5 year olds buying candy, elderly buying groceries or foreign tourist on vacation...

I would rather get 100% of my check, not deal with the IRS/filing and pay a tax when I spend money. Maybe that $1.00 Coke that I pay 7% state sales tax on will now have a 20% federal tax and be $1.27.

I can live with that... The fact that no one would be exempt from the tax may even mean LOWER taxes due to 100% participation from ANYONE spending money...

That $1.00 coke now would not cost $1.00 after the fair tax. The inbedded tax would disappear. The actual cost of the coke would drop roughly $.15 cents. If the new cost is $.85 and then say a 20% sales tax added, that coke would now get brought home for $1.02. It would cost roughly $.02 more, but you bring home your entire paycheck. Another issue would be that you would receive your prebate every month, so technically this drink would not be taxed at all, unless Coke would be considered a luxury rather than a necessity of life.

That $1.00 coke now would not cost $1.00 after the fair tax. The inbedded tax would disappear. The actual cost of the coke would drop roughly $.15 cents. If the new cost is $.85 and then say a 20% sales tax added, that coke would now get brought home for $1.02. It would cost roughly $.02 more, but you bring home your entire paycheck. Another issue would be that you would receive your prebate every month, so technically this drink would not be taxed at all, unless Coke would be considered a luxury rather than a necessity of life.

I think I missed something, please explain this "embedded tax" to me.

steeltoe

I think I missed something, please explain this "embedded tax" to me.

I will not pretend to be an economics expert, but here is the way I understand embedded taxes. When you buy a tennis shoe for $100.00, the cost of the shoe to the maker has taxes embedded and you pay them when you buy the shoe. The shoe maker has to pay all of his employee's federal income matches. This is included when you buy the shoe. These costs to the shoe maker will go away, therefor the cost of the shoe drops.

As a former small business owner, it really made me sick when I wrote checks to myself and employee's and I had to pay all of these taxes. I do not know the exact numbers, but if you make $75,000.00 a year at UPS, it cost UPS much more than $75,000.00 to employee you. They have to pay matching federal with holding taxes. You may make $75,000.00 gross, but UPS pays more than your $75,000.00 salary. These taxes on the company would go away. These costs are always passed along to the consumer.

BigBrownSanta

A few years ago, when the price of gas starting rising, everyone (UPS included) started adding fuel surcharges. When the price of gas started dropping, did the fuel surcharges disappear?

Embedded taxes will disappear and lower prices....

That's a good one.:lol:

1timepu

A few years ago, when the price of gas starting rising, everyone (UPS included) started adding fuel surcharges. When the price of gas started dropping, did the fuel surcharges disappear?

Embedded taxes will disappear and lower prices....

That's a good one.:lol:

It is called a free market, If a competitor lowers there price because of no embedde taxes then everybody else will follow, the fact that most Americans know about embedded taxes, and if the Fair tax is passed you will hear alot about these taxes and how they will dissapear, then if the products price didnt change them maybe we the people should say something like with this Dream Act witht these Illegals, when the people stand up we are heard. And besides has the Gas fallen?? still above $2 it hasnt dropped below that for over a year at least

1timepu

Lklnd Sat went food shopping the bill was $220.33 total tax paid was $2.14, there is no tax on Supermarket food, take a look at your reciept next time you go food shopping, have a good weekend

1timepu

No one would pay more taxes as it is a FLAT RATE... If a single person spends $20,000 a year and a family of 4 spends $20,000 they pay the same amount in taxes... If a Church, Donald Trump and Britney Spears each spend $20,000 they would pay the same as the single person or the family of 4 as well...

Now a single person with few obligations is more likely to spend more money on leasure. A family of 4 is more likely to spend money on necessities...

A single person is more likely to have a single income while a family of 4 may have a dual income from both parents....

A family of 4 may buy a used car and then pay no tax as it is used...
A single person is more likely to buy a new sporter car for $20,000...
Then you have someone like Britney who may buy a car for $50,000...
Based on the above, who is paying more in taxes? Britney is since she has the most disposable income.

I just dont get your logic.....Everybody get their CHECK and whole CHECK this encludes Brittnany and Donald, yes a family of 4 will have LESS disposible MONEY than a single person cus they have more mouths to feed and more clothes to but, more likely a b igger house than a single person, gas electric water phone cell phone cable car paymensts, insurance for car house poeple, college fund for children, and others. And the biggie you and me have a CHOICE to how and where to spend our money, sounds like you need to get married, you keep wanting to punish married couples with taxes, In fact you should get married cus you ARE getting killed wtih Taxes right NOW, I should know I was single for 10 years. Married couples will still buy new cars, they will buy new houses, they will still go on vacations, and still buy furniture for their house. Poor people do spend most of their income on neccesities, which is not taxed now or never, so why should they pay taxes on food and clothes when you and I DONT?