Fed Ex Worker Dies In Yard Accident

barnyard

KTM rider
This is a sad situation for 4 families. Surprising that OSHA did not force FEG to implement yard safety rules similar to UPS' yard safety rules.

This would be the time of the year for yard fatalities. Lots of brand new unloaders that have no idea that a feeder driver cannot see someone jumping off a dock to grab a package that falls out of the back of a truck.

The best thing we all can do, is make sure that new unloaders know what can happen and that is why we have yard safety rules.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This is a sad situation for 4 families. Surprising that OSHA did not force FEG to implement yard safety rules similar to UPS' yard safety rules.

This would be the time of the year for yard fatalities. Lots of brand new unloaders that have no idea that a feeder driver cannot see someone jumping off a dock to grab a package that falls out of the back of a truck.

The best thing we all can do, is make sure that new unloaders know what can happen and that is why we have yard safety rules.
Also, it's very dark outside, often even during the day. Not sure if that played a role.

CJinx

All of our handlers have to sign an acknowledgment that they watched and understand all the safety videos before they're allowed on the dock in a work capacity. However, just like throwing packages, safety violations only seem to come into play if they're looking to get rid of someone or a visitor to the station sees it. It's depressing, really.

STFXG

Those videos are a joke. There's no real safety program for handlers. Safety only matters after an accident at ground. They put a show on for a month or so and then back to the same old ways.

Integrity

Binge Poster
All of our handlers have to sign an acknowledgment that they watched and understand all the safety videos before they're allowed on the dock in a work capacity. However, just like throwing packages, safety violations only seem to come into play if they're looking to get rid of someone or a visitor to the station sees it. It's depressing, really.
CJinx,

Are any of the videos specifically on safety in the yard?

Sincerely,
I

bbsam

Staff member
Those videos are a joke. There's no real safety program for handlers. Safety only matters after an accident at ground. They put a show on for a month or so and then back to the same old ways.
Wait 'til you get a safety related "Notice to Cure". Things don't back off in a month.

CJinx

CJinx,

Are any of the videos specifically on safety in the yard?

Sincerely,
I
I can't speak to that. I watched them once when I started as a package handler and that was a long, long time ago. I can say, however, that yard safety is a topic of discussion at least once a quarter during safety meetings. All station staff from the senior manager down are required to sign off on it.

I have to agree that the videos are a joke; they look like they were filmed in the 80's with bad hair and bad acting. Personally I think the videos should show the aftermath of gross safety violations that resulted in injuries or deaths. Scare them into compliance.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I can't speak to that. I watched them once when I started as a package handler and that was a long, long time ago. I can say, however, that yard safety is a topic of discussion at least once a quarter during safety meetings. All station staff from the senior manager down are required to sign off on it.

I have to agree that the videos are a joke; they look like they were filmed in the 80's with bad hair and bad acting. Personally I think the videos should show the aftermath of gross safety violations that resulted in injuries or deaths. Scare them into compliance.

CJinx,

So you do have yard safety training?

Sincerely,
I

PT Car Washer

UPS yard safety rules prohibit unauthorized people to just wander about. Before hub smokers would walk about the yard during break. Not a good thing with package cars, tractor trailers and spotters pulling empties out of doors.

CJinx

My station covers yard safety; so yes, I as well as my coworkers have yard safety training. I cannot speak to the safety practices of any other stations.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It's the same at Express. We have a serious accident or even a fatality, and then they're all over it...for a couple of weeks. Safety is always secondary to productivity at FedEx.

MAKAVELI

My station covers yard safety; so yes, I as well as my coworkers have yard safety training. I cannot speak to the safety practices of any other stations.
The " training" we have at express is a joke. Management is more concerned about the cost in providing training that we don't receive the proper training materials and in many cases are provided answers for online tests. Whenever I have training, management is always hovering around me looking at the clock, and pressuring me to hurry up. I have never worked for a company with such disregard for their workers safety. And in the event of an accident they will always blame the employee.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My moral compass guides me quite well, thank you. The biggest reason I stay at Express is to try and create change and educate those that need a wakeup-call.

I thought it was because you needed the insurance benefits, your real estate investment portfolio tanked, you were just biding time until you started your new job that you were getting... Can't you just pick one story and stick with it? It would make it much easier for those keeping score at home.

MAKAVELI

I thought it was because you needed the insurance benefits, your real estate investment portfolio tanked, you were just biding time until you started your new job that you were getting... Can't you just pick one story and stick with it? It would make it much easier for those keeping score at home.
I don't think anyone is keeping score but you. You got bit of a hard-on for MFE don't you?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't think anyone is keeping score but you. You got bit of a hard-on for MFE don't you?

Nah, but I'll stop by occasionally to call him out on his habit of changing his story because:

a) although he doesn't have to respond, it reminds him that he continues to tell lies
b) none of his brown-nosers here will do it.