FedEx contractor revolt?

bbsam

Staff member
I think what you're saying is Spencer has leverage. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I'm going to go with he doesn't have nearly as much leverage as does multibillion dollar FedEx. I think we'll soon find out how much leverage he has. FedEx will likely make an example out of him so other contractors fall in line with their demands.
Lol. No.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Fred saw this coming and he threw raj to the wolves.
LOL, if only. Fred believes in Network 2.0 as much as Raj does. Raj was handpicked to replace Fred because he believes in it and is perceived to be the best one able to make it work.

Anyone who thinks Fred was going to throw anyone to the wolves is just lost.

Last edited:

59 Dano

Won’t be a Ground or contractors. It’s run it’s course. All employees of fedex in the near future
If we could arrange it, I'd take out a 2nd mortgage on the house, max out as many credit cards as humanly possible, and do anything else that's legal to obtain money to bet you that won't be the case.

From what I've heard (admittedly it's hearsay) some contractors are going to have the opportunity to make out like bandits. Especially in integrated buildings.

59 Dano

I was hoping dano would chime in and enlighten us. What’s the company’s next move dano?
I'm loving this. 500 bacha posts with bbsam and IWBF correcting each and every one, along with some laughable Express input such as Fred threw Raj to the wolves.

It will be fine

I think what you're saying is Spencer has leverage. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I'm going to go with he doesn't have nearly as much leverage as does multibillion dollar FedEx. I think we'll soon find out how much leverage he has. FedEx will likely make an example out of him so other contractors fall in line with their demands.
Bankrupt contractors can’t fall in line with anything. That’s what FedEx is facing. Spencer has the paper trail of hundreds of contractors to prove it.

bacha29

Bankrupt contractors can’t fall in line with anything. That’s what FedEx is facing. Spencer has the paper trail of hundreds of contractors to prove it.
They don't care. Trucking has always been a "here today, gone tomorrow" business with a high bankruptcy rate ever since the beginning. And when one carrier went under.....two or three or more were right there to take over. And this situation is no different.

Gone fishin

If we could arrange it, I'd take out a 2nd mortgage on the house, max out as many credit cards as humanly possible, and do anything else that's legal to obtain money to bet you that won't be the case.

From what I've heard (admittedly it's hearsay) some contractors are going to have the opportunity to make out like bandits. Especially in integrated buildings.
I’m just telling you the only thing that makes sense. When i asked our senior, he said that he thought the transition was inevitable. You have to make adjustments. Nothing stays the same

bacha29

59 Dano

They don't care. Trucking has always been a "here today, gone tomorrow" business with a high bankruptcy rate ever since the beginning. And when one carrier went under.....two or three or more were right there to take over. And this situation is no different.
Bacha ever since his first post here: "The model is unsustainable. There aren't enough contractors and/or drivers."
Bacha above: "If one fails, there are 2 or 3 right there to take over."

bbsam

Staff member
If Fedex is a corrupt as Enron if such a thing is possible then there might be a similarity between the two that could serve to foretell the fate of FDX. But, I don't see one especially when you stop to look at who the largest holders of FDX stock are. Target price still 297.
And there you go. That’s what I mean when I say this isn’t about “bringing FedEx to their knees.”

But FedEx has played fast and loose with the balance sheets. Likely millions in contractor financed company blunders. Fuel supplement padding the profits. Devaluation of contractor businesses.

I don’t know that I’d call it corrupt but for the company not to address legitimate financial and structural problems with the model is at least terrible business. And for investors to ignore the implosion a key core component of the business they invest in is ludicrous.

So the stock price doesn’t drop. Why? Because investors aren’t paying attention? Or because they believe the company will address and fix the problem? What investors can’t do is ignore it and buy the company BS that everything is fine. If they do, and FedEx doesn’t address the issues, there’s no reason to believe FedEx couldn’t face a severe decline in value.

bbsam

Staff member
Lol. If you ask folks in Milwaukee, Madison, Rockford, and Rock Island how that idea’s going you might change your mind. Who wants to run a trucking company that loses money?

zeev

FedEx was 88.00 before Covid , Amazon has changed the whole delivery system , FedEx is being propped up before it takes a fall, freight is the only legitimate business.

59 Dano

I’m just telling you the only thing that makes sense.
Ditching the contractor model includes taking on thousands of new employees, insane amounts of additional risk and liability, and millions per year in additional admin costs.

For example, let's take 1000 FT Ground guys and make them FT FedEx employees. Their pay is going to be over $35 million. Plus benefits. Plus Social Security contributions and WC insurance. Plus other related expenses.

It may make financial sense to have hourly FedEx employees take Ground packages in certain circumstances. It makes WAY more financial sense to have contractors take Express packages.

bacha29

Lol. If you ask folks in Milwaukee, Madison, Rockford, and Rock Island how that idea’s going you might change your mind. Who wants to run a trucking company that loses money?
It has always been an easy business to get into and an easy business to fall out of because it has historically been a slim margin pennies business and Fat's and his lap dog Sahib are going to see how thin a a margin can you guys run on and still be there the following morning. Big or small they come and go and the freight still keeps on moving. If there is a recession there will be enough surplus capacity readily available to handle just about anything that could happen at Fat Freddy's barn.

Gone fishin

Ditching the contractor model includes taking on thousands of new employees, insane amounts of additional risk and liability, and millions per year in additional admin costs.

For example, let's take 1000 FT Ground guys and make them FT FedEx employees. Their pay is going to be over $35 million. Plus benefits. Plus Social Security contributions and WC insurance. Plus other related expenses.

It may make financial sense to have hourly FedEx employees take Ground packages in certain circumstances. It makes WAY more financial sense to have contractors take Express packages.
So UPS is a failing company ?

Star B

White Lightening
It makes WAY more financial sense to have contractors take Express packages.
Airborne Express/DHL domestic, contractors, failed.

Who else has succeeded in the overnight/urgent needs shipping department using contractors in the B2C market? The only one that comes to mind is Amazon and even then they still don't cover all the area that FXE-domestically does. Plus, they are still young when it comes to companies in this field.

bbsam

Staff member
It has always been an easy business to get into and an easy business to fall out of because it has historically been a slim margin pennies business and Fat's and his lap dog Sahib are going to see how thin a a margin can you guys run on and still be there the following morning. Big or small they come and go and the freight still keeps on moving. If there is a recession there will be enough surplus capacity readily available to handle just about anything that could happen at Fat Freddy's barn.
You might finally be getting it. Milwaukee and Rockford have been a mess for years. And sure, people show up and service levels are terrible and getting worse.

If that’s the level of commitment Raj can live with, then no reason to change at all and the model will continue to implode.

Star B

White Lightening
If that’s the level of commitment Raj can live with, then no reason to change at all and the model will continue to implode.
I'm thinking Raj is hoping for a massive depression/recession and people BEGGING to work for cheap-labor.

and if I'm wrong with my terminology, sorry, but I'm sure you all know what I'm getting at.