Fedex Express Driver vs. UPS Driver

Bob Loblaw

Hey all. I think I may be hired soon as a Fedex express driver. I've been reading a lot on these forums and was wondering what you guys think the biggest difference is between being a driver for UPS and a driver for Express?

Besides the pay.

brownboss

Brownblood
theres lots of differences...1st and 4most...fedex doesnt have a union...meaning ur job is always on tha line...no need 2 mention tha pay bc as u very well know ups drivers make almost twice as much...and also if im not mistaken fedex drivers have there own route that there responsible 4 getting..idk...1 thing is good tho..and that there is no senority there...so i imagine ur jumpin right n2 drivin there

Bob Loblaw

theres lots of differences...1st and 4most...fedex doesnt have a union...meaning ur job is always on tha line...no need 2 mention tha pay bc as u very well know ups drivers make almost twice as much...and also if im not mistaken fedex drivers have there own route that there responsible 4 getting..idk...1 thing is good tho..and that there is no senority there...so i imagine ur jumpin right n2 drivin there

Are you sure your cat didn't jump on the keyboard and type this for you?

SmithBarney

brownboss, is the furthest thing from a boss, and couldn't be further from the truth.

Your job is only on the line if you "DON'T DO YOUR JOB" that goes for anywhere
you work including UPS.. And the nice thing, its a heck of a lot
easier to get your job done at FedEx

Express drivers top out at mid 20$ so not UPS levels, but there are benifits of the job
that far outweigh the lack of $.(topping out takes a bit longer)

Express drivers routes are available in a bid process based on seniority, but
management reserves the right to refuse route bid due to performance.

So to answer your question(Biggest Difference other than pay)
there are a few so far that I have noticed.

Employee respect from management.
A company actually focused on customer service.
An actual "fair days work for a fair days wage."

Bob Loblaw

Thanks for the response Fredly.

I agree with you, if you don't do your job anywhere, you're going to get fired.

I guess I should have been more specific. For example, what time do you start in the morning/what time you begin on the road? Also how is the freight for Fedex compared to UPS volume-wise?

Overpaid Union Thug

The FedEx Express drivers around here say that everything is cool until they get near retirement. That's when management starts getting on to them for every little thing. They try and fire them or break them down so they'll quit before they can retire.

SmithBarney

I'll preface this by saying start time depends on where you are located
Start time at my UPS was 9:20(rarely getting out before 10am)
Start time at my FedEx is 8:20 load my own truck and out by 9:20ish.
Location will change times, for example I'm at training in a large city
and these drivers are on the road at 7:30am, and they don't load
their own trucks.

Freight levels again depend on area,
When i was at UPS it was a rare day to see the through the truck
to the front. and if you could see the front, the floor was filled.
Now the only things on my floor at FedEx are oversized items and bulk stops

My Typical Day at UPS in town route.. 160 delivery stops 30-40 P/U and 45miles
Typical day at fedex will by 50-60 stops and 25 pickups done by 5.

To me its well worth the difference in pay, to be with my family at dinner time
I suppose if I were to do it all over(life) I'd start at UPS right out of highschool
at 20, and retire at 45.

area43

The FedEx Express drivers around here say that everything is cool until they get near retirement. That's when management starts getting on to them for every little thing. They try and fire them or break them down so they'll quit before they can retire.
In agreement with you arrow on the retirement issue. The delivery job is a young mans job. Highly competitive on the production issue. Lets just say your 40(and worn out) and a 20 year old young stud comes in. Your running 12 stops an hour and he is running 15. I would hope and pray that Fred would keep you, but wall street, profit margins, retirement pay out, higher percent probabilty of a comp case, should I keep going. When all is said and done we are just a number,that can be replaced.

DS

Fenderbender
I guess I should have been more specific. For example, what time do you start in the morning/what time you begin on the road? Also how is the freight for Fedex compared to UPS volume-wise?
Where I am,The fedex guys get on area earlier than me,have less stops,less bulk,and they work 4 day weeks.Overtime is
rare,and they try to keep them under 45 hours to avoid it.
They deliver more letters than boxes,and they have time to
talk to the customers.The trucks are sweet if you get a new
one.Insulated all around,padded floor,wristband start.You are
less likely to lose your mind at fedex,but its not as secure,or
as profitable as at ups.You`ll do fine...

double R

Hey all. I think I may be hired soon as a Fedex express driver. I've been reading a lot on these forums and was wondering what you guys think the biggest difference is between being a driver for UPS and a driver for Express?

Besides the pay.

I think the greatest difference may be in your benefit pkg. along with your hrly compensation.

I would sit down and do the math if you're gonna do it for 20 or 30 yrs:confused:1

U

ups driver in LA

ups driver is harder work but better pay. Decide what you want little less money or more free time. I a ups driver with some highs and lows in my 23 year tenure and pretty happy but there were a few tough years getiing to this point

keith lestrange

hey everyone

in ireland fedex drivers are usually owner drivers,they get paid a lot lower than ups drivers but they do not work as hard.
like my fellow drivers already is family more valuable than ups???
i think so toooo.....
just another number ring anyones bell.....:sad:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
DON'T DO IT!!! Find something meaningful to do with your life instead of becoming one of Fred's underpaid wage slaves. It takes forever to "top out" at FedEx(unlike UPS) and your "retirement" (the traditional pension plan was eliminated) will be pathetic.
Maybe Fedex won't run you as hard as UPS, but at least UPS has some sort of employee protection in form of the Teamsters. If Fedex asks you to jump off a cliff with a stick up your ass you have to smile and do it....or you are gone. The only FedEx employee group intelligent enough to protect themselves (the pilots) went ALPA a few years back and management is still jacking them around. A long time ago FedEx WAS a good company, but those days are long over, and Mr Smith and his co-conspirators will do everything in their power to use you up and give NOTHING back in return.
Think about it, before you screw yourself and go to work for a company that only takes...

F

FredWSmith

Working at FedEx Express is like working anywhere else. If you work hard and treat your co workers as a team you'll be fine. It is extremely hard to get fired at FedEx. You have to have a problem with accidents or falsification. Almost anything else can be forgiven. Some of the people that post on this site feel they've been wronged in some way. (that goes for UPS and FedEx)
As far as wages go the disparity varies depending on the area your in. Where I live the difference at top of range is about 2.50 but can be as high as 6.00. But on the plus side senority starts the day your hired and benefits are the same regardless of status or position. You don't have to spend a few years making 9.00 as a handler before moving up.
The pension plan has changed from a traditional plan to a portable one but it's fully funded and the 401k match has more than doubled.
I'm sure that UPS isn't as horrible as people make it seem on this site but FedEx shouldn't be discounted either.

FedexExEmployee

DON'T DO IT!!! Find something meaningful to do with your life instead of becoming one of Fred's underpaid wage slaves. It takes forever to "top out" at FedEx(unlike UPS) and your "retirement" (the traditional pension plan was eliminated) will be pathetic.
Maybe Fedex won't run you as hard as UPS, but at least UPS has some sort of employee protection in form of the Teamsters. If Fedex asks you to jump off a cliff with a stick up your ass you have to smile and do it....or you are gone. A long time ago FedEx WAS a good company, but those days are long over, and Mr Smith and his co-conspirators will do everything in their power to use you up and give NOTHING back in return.
Think about it, before you screw yourself and go to work for a company that only takes...

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!
I see you feel exactly as I do. That's why I LEFT that HELLHOLE.

As I hear it from my friends who are still stuck there for the meantime, a 2 hour meeting took place this morning and the topic was........unions...
I'll find out later what transpired.....