FedEx Express Package Handler Question

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Be sure to phrase it in the most positive light. You want them to know how much you REALLY want this job. But as I’m sure they would understand (let’s hope), times are tough and you need to keep your other job to make ends meet and, thus, may occasionally need some flexibility.

Have handler interviews changed? The "interview" was having them observing the sort, asking them 5 or 6 questions (all of which required a 'yes' answer), and giving them the job.

MassWineGuy

Given the current volume, I would bet he gets hired unless there’s something really dark on his record.

The ramp is a heavy duty workplace. You should have no trouble getting to sleep.

Given the current volume, I would bet he gets hired unless there’s something really dark on his record.

The ramp is a heavy duty workplace. You should have no trouble getting to sleep.

haha. One more question - am I a fool to think that I can do this job if I have a bad back? How much do package handlers have to lift over 50lbs?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
haha. One more question - am I a fool to think that I can do this job if I have a bad back? How much do package handlers have to lift over 50lbs?
You’re in luck. FedEx just last year (I think) changed the living requirements to 50 lbs. Previously it was 70 or 75. So anything over 50 you should get help.

MassWineGuy

You’re in luck. FedEx just last year (I think) changed the living requirements to 50 lbs. Previously it was 70 or 75. So anything over 50 you should get help.

On paper, policy does say that you should request help with anything over 50 lbs. In practice, I find it hard to imagine that you could do the job because you’d be asking for help every two minutes. There are many, many heavy to very heavy pieces that, fair or not, you would be expected to handle. But you may luck out because the ramp has a lot of people there. If I asked for help on my route every time I got something over 50 lbs, I’d never return to the building on time.

You should think hard about what this job might do to your back.

Nolimitz

Who said this is a ramp position? Here ramp agents don't touch packages. Only unload aircraft and and move cans around. Pkg handlers are unloading cans to the belt

MassWineGuy

Who said this is a ramp position? Here ramp agents don't touch packages. Only unload aircraft and and move cans around. Pkg handlers are unloading cans to the belt

My error. He said the job was at the airport as a handler. Unloading cans is still heavy work.

MassWineGuy

If you have a bad back why would a job like this?

Yes, indeed. A large can filled to bursting is pretty danged heavy, even on rollers.

And to answer your question, yes, I think you would be foolish to take the job if you have a problem with your back.