FedEx has just released its fiscal Q4 financial

fedupped

In reality, DRA has camouflaged long running stops per hour in areas and substituted return to building times. Except it has added larger areas, more stops, and interjected illogical routing. The RTB's are adding 3-4 SPH in larger areas with no way of reaching 1500 RTB times. And its our fault. ..I guess..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In reality, DRA has camouflaged long running stops per hour in areas and substituted return to building times. Except it has added larger areas, more stops, and interjected illogical routing. The RTB's are adding 3-4 SPH in larger areas with no way of reaching 1500 RTB times. And its our fault. ..I guess..

Nah, you're all wrong. All the Ground guys and MT3 say it's great. WE are the problem. Come to "Jesus" brother... and hear the truth of DRA!!

bbsam

Staff member
It looks like Grounds margin fell to 16.7% with no buyouts or new planes. What's your excuse?

New buildings? Which reminds me. Why do you Express folks always say you finance the expansion of Ground, bit we don't get to day we bought your new fleet of planes? Why is one right and the other not? Or are both nonsense?

bbsam

Staff member
"...fell to 16.7%...". Not alot of companies represented here can even acomplish a fall like that!:/

TUT

Lot of off topic BS here, other interesting #'s:

Express Volume up 10% 3.5 mil/day to 3.9 mil/day yoy. That's good, no? Intl Domestic is kicking Ass.

Express revenue is almost exactly double of Ground, 5.5 bil vs 2.7 bil.

mjtrackman

I can somewhat speak on this topic since I worked at ground for 4 years and just recently moved over to express. I've rode with a lot of "top" couriers in our station and haven't seen anything over 85 stops in almost 3 months. Ground is wayyyyyyyy harder than expeess but the saying goes "Work smarter, not harder"

vantexan

DRA is clearly flawed, and at least per R1a, they are refusing to acknowledge this, preferring to blame us instead. If you read the release further, the Express adjusted operating margin actually rose from 6.1% to 6.6%, so they are slowly headed toward that 10% figure. I also noticed the line "near-term challenges" which I suspect is a veiled response to operational issues, which are again, of course, our fault...not theirs. Never mind that they are throwing a lot of money at the problem, which does include rental vehicles in many locations in addition to all the new PT hires.

They also confirm that the buyout has been completed, so those who have deluded themselves into thinking they might actually receive one...think again. This also removes any further excuse factor for financial non-performance in the Express opco.The "open season" on couriers synchs nicely with R1a's hypothesis that career couriers are their real problem, and now that the 2 big "adjustments" are over, I would expect a re-doubling of the efforts to shed long-term employees.

Sorry bbsam, but Ground and HD drivers can afford to wander through the day at a pace that isn't acceptable at Express. And maybe that's where the disconnect lies for Express management. They see it working at Ground, and then wonder why it isn't working at Express. Yes, drivers from both companies deliver the exact same stops, but they do NOT have the same operational windows, time constraints, and hard deadlines as Express. This is like comparing a Taliban human-powered "mortar" with the real thing operated by the US military. Same objective, but very different means of achieving it.

Whatever the case, I'm going to do everything I can to slow-down and cost Fred some money. WAD is only one part of the equation. Until we have a union, they are free to pick us off with whatever underhanded and semi-legal tactic(s) they choose. Sure wish that everyone had realized what they were doing a couple of years ago when we were trying to warn you. Sign a card, and spread the word.

It's been proven that Americans are brand oriented. Let Joe Courier tell his coworkers they need to sign union cards and most will just shrug him off. Let a team of Teamster organizers show up with professional literature and the ability to push buttons and you'll see a different reaction. We've discussed that most stations have no one tuned in to what's going on. Seems over the top to criticize people here for not being willing to stick their neck out when we are the ones who've sought out this forum to find out more and some of us have actually spoken out to both coworkers and mgrs. FedEx is proceeding with their plans as if there's no chance of a union to thwart them. With Congress in their pocket, the Teamsters refusing to step up, and most couriers in the dark it would appear Fred's in the driver's seat. The only true option short of street riots is for every corporate worker in this country to divest from his 401k. Sure, won't happen, but the only thing these people understand is money. But what do I care, I'm out of here in 5 months.

vantexan

Lot of off topic BS here, other interesting #'s:

Express Volume up 10% 3.5 mil/day to 3.9 mil/day yoy. That's good, no? Intl Domestic is kicking Ass.

Express revenue is almost exactly double of Ground, 5.5 bil vs 2.7 bil.

Would be interesting to see Ground's revenue numbers for the last 4 or 5 years to get a sense of how fast they are growing.

MAKAVELI

It looks like Grounds margin fell to 16.7% with no buyouts or new planes. What's your excuse?

New buildings? Which reminds me. Why do you Express folks always say you finance the expansion of Ground, bit we don't get to day we bought your new fleet of planes? Why is one right and the other not? Or are both nonsense?
For one, the argument is FedEx bought and built ground in the beginning from the profits of express. That's fact. Secondly it's stated right there in the financial report, the write off for new planes and the buyouts came from express profits. And these are the reasons for the 0% margin.

MAKAVELI

And where in the financials does it say Express is building more Ground facilities?
No one is saying express is building more Ground facilities. Btw do you have an exact number of new facilities in the past year or currently under construction?

DontThrowPackages

Or maybe there are just lower standards at ground.

Hey, Stop the ground bashing. Thanks to their hard work and sacrifices , they fund our month long vacations and retirement plans, all be they minimal plans. And when you receive your check this week for sick days not used, take the time to stop and thank a ground guy for making it possible. I love ground.

TUT

Would be interesting to see Ground's revenue numbers for the last 4 or 5 years to get a sense of how fast they are growing.

2013 10.5 bil
2012 9.5
2011 8.4
2010 7.4
2009 7.0
2008 6.7
2007 6.0
2006 5.3
2005 4.6
2004 3.9
2003 3.4
2002 2.7
2001 2.2
2000 2.0
1999 1.8 (RPS)
1998 1.7

5x revenue in 13 years.

Express had a 8.4% profit margin in 1999 & 2005. 6% in 2002. 7% in 2003. 10% in both 2006 and 2007.